Grab your Old Drink Packages Now

sidari

1 minute ago, citizenfrank said:

You seem to be waiting for everything to go wrong?

Hi Frank ... I have to say that I'm really curious as to how it'll be handled onboard.  I suppose I'll find out for myself in little more than 7 weeks time.  I was going to say that I'd even gelato (which I rarely do, unless as a sundae) just to see if my Deluxe package will be honoured, but MSC have thrown a spanner in the works in that gelato is FREE on Armonia!  :classic_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

...just to see if my Deluxe package will be honoured...

I'm happy to read that you have the deluxe plan too.  I will be curious for how it works for you, specifically with the minibar inclusion.  Along with a long list of other questions I'll have about your trip before my own. 

I'll do my level best to get answers to any questions you'll pose, FG.  With all the changes (including the wonderful additions to Armonia) I'm especially looking forward to our upcoming cruise.  :classic_biggrin:

(I'd forgotten about the changes to the mini-bar inclusion/exclusion - must make a note of that!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Hi Frank ... I have to say that I'm really curious as to how it'll be handled onboard.  I suppose I'll find out for myself in little more than 7 weeks time.  I was going to say that I'd even gelato (which I rarely do, unless as a sundae) just to see if my Deluxe package will be honoured, but MSC have thrown a spanner in the works in that gelato is FREE on Armonia!  :classic_biggrin:

Hello Bea ….I was wondering where you were, sailing the high seas was my guess!

Yes I am curious too, though I think it will all work out fine (these new optimist pills are fantastic!).

My thoughts on all this are all over here, so I'll not bore you, especially on 'gelatogate'!

I was happy to pay PP on the new packages despite losing gelato, milkshakes  & sundae's, but this arrangement/amnesty is perfect I feel.

So yes please share your experiences early in the New Year ….I think this & so many other reports will be crucial to this situation as it plays out to its conclusion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

Hello Bea ….I was wondering where you were, sailing the high seas was my guess!

Nope ... just took a long-needed break from the site for the sake of my mental health!  🙄  However, a certain regular poster (who will remain nameless!) drew me back with a heads-up on the new drinks packages introduction.  I'll certainly be hanging around for a good while, now, to see how this pans out.

I have to say that it's not looking as dramatic a change as I thought at first (that may be your eternal optimism rubbing off!).  I've had a good look at what's on offer;  it's really the price increases that are off-putting - especially with the cruise price increases of late.

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Nope ... just took a long-needed break from the site for the sake of my mental health!  🙄  However, a certain regular poster (who will remain nameless!) drew me back with a heads-up on the new drinks packages introduction.  I'll certainly be hanging around for a good while, now, to see how this pans out.

I have to say that it's not looking as dramatic a change as I thought at first (that may be your eternal optimism rubbing off!).  I've had a good look at what's on offer;  it's really the price increases that are off-putting - especially with the cruise price increases of late.

Well I never realised it was taking so much out of you!

I stated all along that despite the world exploding over gelato (myself included I may add), the real issue was price increases that had seemingly just been accepted!

Personally I think they were overdue & the new prices are 'industry parallel', though Deluxe from as little as £35pp/pd can come back anytime in my book with open arms lol.

Maybe MSC are growing in all senses now & the best of their 'low cost' days are in the past? That said they are still great value for your £/$ and any other currency not on this keypad!

Well, MSC will need to up their game in the Customer Services area as well as food offerings if their prices are going to continue to escalate at the rate that they are at the moment.  When the price point was lower, it was a great value product and I was willing to overlook a lot of MSC's shortcomings.  My expectations will rise in accordance with these price rises.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Well, MSC will need to up their game in the Customer Services area as well as food offerings if their prices are going to continue to escalate at the rate that they are at the moment.  When the price point was lower, it was a great value product and I was willing to overlook a lot of MSC's shortcomings.  My expectations will rise in accordance with these price rises.

Yes I agree & I think that is fair.

Should they not step up to the plate then their market perception will fall, after all there are some quality alternatives out there that until now were more expensive, but once this is not the case it will no longer be about money, but value & service standards.

After our next cruise on Divina at Xmas the next one on Meraviglia the following Xmas may be our last for a while seeing as MSC have downgraded the Aurea package and have increased not just drink package prices but cruise prices.

2020 November YC on Virtuosa over £3,000 for 7 nights! Doing the same old ports.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

With the direction MSC is taking with regards to cruise prices and drinks packages, I'm wondering if the Voyagers Club is next up for  "attention".  :classic_ohmy:

It already is.....refer to recent threads.

If you're referring to the policy changes around the complimentary speciality restaurant meals, then that was a year ago (as I only just commented about on another thread).  MSC had also tweaked the drinks packages then, too.  They've been overhauled this time.  It wouldn't surprise me if we see something similar with VC - akin to the 2015 shake-up.

Edited by Beamafar

I just found this out independently of this thread and I am in the USA. I called MSC and they did allow me to book 2 upcoming European cruises (lower price) with the old pricing on the drink package A, which is $203 per person US dollars.  They said that I did not have to pay right now but they also suggested that it might not be a bad idea just to make sure that I absolutely positively lock in that pricing, so I did do that.

They also offered to upgrade a “Drinks on Us” cruise out of Miami for about $124 per person. They said that I will get a wider drink selection, and I would not have to pay 15% gratuity on each drink, which I do under the current “Drinks on Us “package. So far I’ve declined that one, but if anyone thinks that I am making the wrong decision let me know. 

I also have a European cruise booked in 2020 and I asked if I could add the Classic drink package A to that one as well. They said that it is too far out in their system will not allow them to add it, but they notated in the system that I had made that request and they said that they can’t guarantee anything, but it’s possible they will revisit it once they have an option to add that package to the system.   Not optimistic in terms of the 2020 cruise drink package but at least there are notes attached to the booking.

Edited by Stockjock

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

If you're referring to the policy changes around the complimentary speciality restaurant meals, then that was a year ago.  MSC had also tweaked the drinks packages then, too.  They've been overhauled this time.  It wouldn't surprise me if we see something similar with VC - akin to the 2015 shake-up.

Nope, I am referring to status match where previous black card matching is now generally allocated gold.....so Voyagers Club is clearly on their radar!

9 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Nope, I am referring to status match where previous black card matching is now generally allocated gold.....so Voyagers Club is clearly on their radar!

It was possibly as a response to the many complaints MSC received from those who made it to Black thru' cruising with them.  This change (and the one I previously referenced) are tweaking around the edges, as such.  I'm anticipating a total re-vamp.  The fact that they've changed the matching leads me to believe that there's something in the offing.

Anyway, it makes sense that they offer the carrot of matching to Gold; by doing that it incentivises status-matchers to sail again with MSC if they wish to attain Black.  It also appeases regular MSC cruisers who gained Black from points earned on MSC ships.

Apologies, Dave, for hijacking your thread. :classic_blush:

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It was possibly as a response to the many complaints MSC received from those who made it to Black thru' cruising with them.  This change (and the one I previously referenced) are tweaking around the edges, as such.  I'm anticipating a total re-vamp.  The fact that they've changed the matching leads me to believe that there's something in the offing.....

There really isn't much left to revamp, as only 'the edges' are left! The biggie that you haven't mentioned was the 20% discount removed a year or two back.

Bea ... Pre curser to at least one new level possibly two! MSC should have only matched to Gold from the get go or for a minimum of one year at Black reducing to Gold until enough points are accrued to get people back to Black.

Hamrag ... July 2015 to be (almost) exact!  About 2 weeks before status-match was introduced.

Dave ... totally agree!!!  I firmly believe that the meal allowance reduction was as a direct result of so many 'freebie' Black Cards issued.

Edited by Beamafar

To get back to the drink packages this is a good article explaining the changes.

MSC Cruises Drinks Packages: Go All Inclusive Or Not? | Reasons To Cruise

The other day I phoned to book (USA) as packages were not showing on line.

I was offered Meal time, Restaurant and Bar  and Deluxe.  No packages were included with the original booking.

I booked Restaurant and bar for $368 (16 days Meraviglia Transatlantic Sept 2019) $22 a day.  Seems to be the old allegrissimo  to be changed to "Easy"

The deluxe including mini bar was $704.

Was not offered Classic.

I had to pay upfront.

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

...They also offered to upgrade a “Drinks on Us” cruise out of Miami for about $124 per person. They said that I will get a wider drink selection, and I would not have to pay 15% gratuity on each drink, which I do under the current “Drinks on Us “package. So far I’ve declined that one, but if anyone thinks that I am making the wrong decision let me know...

We are sailing Divina 9 Dec 2018 out of Miami with the "Drinks on Us" included, and we were allowed to upgrade to the old "Classic" for $18pppd  which incldudes the 15% grat;  so figured we would probably be paying about half of that in gratuities on the "Drinks on Us" and took the upgrade which gives a Meridian chardonay and a much better selection of liquers and cordials.

• Like 1

@sidari - frankly speaking I haven’t read the whole thread so please forgive we if my question was already posted... :classic_wink: MSC in Europe was telling me that we can keep our purchased package (old AI premium) with exactly the included drinks AND gelato - as known in the past - also the YC cruise in April will have the included things like in the past (crepes, gelato, etc.). We don’t have to do anything special - this was what they told me - is that correct?