Christmas Celebrations on a cruise

Cancruizer

Hi Cruise Friends,

If you have cruised during Christmas, can you please let me know a bit about what happens on board and how the holidays are celebrated. We will be on board the Regal Princess this year for Christmas (yay), however I am working on a blog post about this at the moment and it would be great to have some details if you're willing (even if with other cruise lines).

Thanks very much!!

Ilana

Last year on the Ruby, there was a non-denominational Christmas religious service at 11:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve -- kind of a "midnight mass", but no mass! -- lead by the cruise director.  A group of the crew sang, and did a wonderful job.  There are lots of Filipinos in every crew, and public singing is a national passion! 

There was Christmas caroling, I do not remember which evening. 

There was a Christmas show in the atrium on Dec 25.

Christmas decorations were everywhere.  Lots of trees.  A large display of gingerbread houses in the Atrium. 

I think the kids did some gingerbread house making/decorating.

I did not see Santa and his sleigh arrive on board.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Princess does a wonderful job of decorating the ship.  Traditional Christmas dinner with my favorite Princess dessert - Gingerbread souffle. Christmas music throughout the ship.  A great Gingerbread house display.  Santa pays a visit and each child under 18 received a gift.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul929207 said:

They decorate the ship right after the US Thanksgiving.

Yes, I was on a RC cruise a few years ago for Thanksgiving and it was a nice surprise to see a great big tree up along with festive decorations. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Last year on the Ruby, there was a non-denominational Christmas religious service at 11:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve -- kind of a "midnight mass", but no mass! -- lead by the cruise director.  A group of the crew sang, and did a wonderful job.  There are lots of Filipinos in every crew, and public singing is a national passion! 

There was Christmas caroling, I do not remember which evening. 

There was a Christmas show in the atrium on Dec 25.

Christmas decorations were everywhere.  Lots of trees.  A large display of gingerbread houses in the Atrium. 

I think the kids did some gingerbread house making/decorating.

I did not see Santa and his sleigh arrive on board.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the info Mike. It's nice to know that so much is going on to celebrate. Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

Princess does a wonderful job of decorating the ship.  Traditional Christmas dinner with my favorite Princess dessert - Gingerbread souffle. Christmas music throughout the ship.  A great Gingerbread house display.  Santa pays a visit and each child under 18 received a gift.

Thanks for the info - good to know about the Christmas dinner and gifts from Santa - very sweet!

10 of us were on the Grand to Mexico for Christmas 2 years ago, ranging in age from 2 to 70 years old including 3 teenagers. 

Some of the Holiday highlights were:

-passenger choir

-tiny stockings filled with chocolates delivered to our rooms Christmas eve

-cookie decorating and crafts for the little kids

-Santa with small gifts for kids 6 and under

- Christmas story reading by the Captain 

-lovely decorations and festive music

-gingerbread house building competition 

They asked for a passenger volunteer to conduct a Christmas Eve service. Yet when my BIL (a full time ordained minister) offered to lead they said they had decided to skip it. (Not a problem, just interesting as they had asked only an hour earlier)

The vast majority of the staff and crew were in a festive mood. Many officers had family members on board for the holiday. Which was lovely. 

Overall it was a delightful way to celebrate. 

There is a tradition on all ships to place a Christmas tree on the highest point of the ship.  We are going on the Pacific Princess on Dec. 22 (my second Christmas cruise).  We do not do tours on Christmas because we don't want to separate anyone from their family that day.

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ