Nervous about Forward, upper deck, cabin?

Wishing on a star

We will be sailing in a Forward balcony cabin and a far-Forward inside cabin.

I am nervous about motion, as I have not sailed Forward, or that high, before!

Will we be fine, unless there are some pretty rough seas?

In the Caribbean, we have experienced the rougher sailing on the first night, as the ship clears Florida and crosses the Gulf Stream.

I am hoping it is not too bad this time!

Edited by Wishing on a star

We chose to take a "guarantee" cabin last year and regretted it.  Our cabin was right behind the bridge starboard side and we had two days of high swells which made our location pretty bad for up/down movement.  My wife got to where she did not want to return to our cabin.  I'd get farther back if you can.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

In the Caribbean, we have experienced the rougher sailing on the first night, as the ship clears Florida and crosses the Gulf Stream.

What ship are you on?  On the Royal class ships there is very little motion....we've sailed there numerous times in rough seas and felt nearly nothing

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes,  Royal class.

Regal Princess - Caribbean.

Hope the larger newer ship will make a difference!

Have spent many days on the Regal and just got off this month. 

We hit pretty good seas/swells down the east coast enroute to the Caribbean. 

I was around the ship a lot. It was pretty intense even in the atrium on deck 5.

Don't be fooled by the size of the ship. Does it help? Absolutely but it can still be intense and more so forward.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Okay,  now add me to those who will be praying for calmer seas!!!

And, I am thinking I am remembering the heavy weather at the time coming up the East Coast...  : O

I always notice the "rougher seas" on the last day heading back.  West Coast and East Coast.  However, have noticed in the Winter it's worse than Spring.

the one time i had a super forward cabin, we also skirted a tropical storm and it triggered a migraine.  so i can't tell if it was the migraine or the forward cabin that caused the seasickness.  

i've been on a cruise several times since and have always had aft cabins.  i do like being at the back of the boat better.

7 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I'm assuming it might be too late to change your cabin at this point so to put your mind at ease we were in L103 in February, 2017 and it was fine. I don't remember the motion being particularly worse than sailing mid ship on Dolphin (which we did the year before). I do have to add the caveat that I've never experienced motion sickness on a cruise ship but I was also worried before we sailed in our first forward cabin years ago.

On the bright side, being on a higher deck and forward is a great location on the Regal. I absolutely loved being so close to everything on Lido and wouldn't hesitate to book that location again.

On another note - I've noticed you posting on the same Ports of Call that I've been researching - so I'm guessing we are doing the same itinerary. Normally we don't do much on the islands but this time we are having two friends join us who will be Princess and cruise newbies so I'm really trying to put together some great beach/snorkel excursions. 

Love the forward cabins, forward views are the best.  Worst weather we've been in were 20' seas on the way to HI.  We were in the most forward inside cabin for that cruise.  Kinda like a carnival ride(pun intended).  You get rocked to sleep like a baby. 

If the price is right enjoy. 

framer

It is mostly based on ones tolerance for motion.  My wife and I are opposite; I seem to have no issue with motion while even minor motion can render her nauseous.  We've been in the forward facing balconies on the top two decks on several Regal and Royal sailings.  Some days as mentioned above, she does not wish to be in the room.  She takes ginger pills and meclizine (generic form of Bonine/non-drowsy Dramamine) and it helps, but the meclizine does make her sleepy.  I encourage her to start taking the stuff a few days before flying/sailing so she gets accustomed to the somewhat altered state.  If you are prone to motion sickness mid-ship and low may be a better choice... or you can tough it out and enjoy the forward views on the flat/calm days.