Bringing two Bottles of Wine or Buying Bottles on Board?

5 hours ago, Ewing said:

This was in Chops and service was excellent so we tipped them what the corkage would have been and then some. Even as Australians on cruises out of Australia we always tip unlike most others (probably helps that I spend about 2 months a year in the USA so am very used to tipping) 🙂

I didn't really raise a fuss. I just mentioned that we hadn't been charged corkage before (we had two cabins and had already gone through three other bottles in other restaurants on just that cruise with no mention of it) and that we'll save the wine for later and have glasses of wine from our drinks package instead. That's when it was waived.

After the tip they gave us a heads up. If the wine is a brand they sell onboard then they think you've purchased it on the ship and won't charge corkage. That made sense as the other bottles were vintage versions of what they already have like a delicious 2006 Perrier-Jouët. The fourth bottle of wine was a bit more special and unique (we'd saved that one for last).

I didn't actually know about the corkage policy until I looked it up after we were seated at the restaurant. Next cruise we'll just enjoy the wine in our cabins 🙂

They had been putting stickers on the purchased bottles so it was evident that they were purchased on board. They only sell the wine that I prefer to drink by the

bottle, not by the glass, so I will still buy bottles in the MDR even though I have a drink package.  

There have been several reports where the corkage fee was waived presumably because waitstaff don’t want to upset the customer and risk a reduction, or even removal, of gratuities. 

19 minutes ago, KelJ said:

They only sell the wine that I prefer to drink by the bottle, not by the glass, so I will still buy bottles in the MDR even though I have a drink package.  

Yes, same.

I get the drinks package for cocktails and sparkling water. Wine I usually buy by the bottle and utilise the 20-40% discount (depending on the base price) that comes with the drinks or dining package.

We always only bring nice bottles. Charging a corkage fee is common and no big deal. So you want the server to stop what he is doing, get you classes , open, , possibly decant and pour your wine, but you do not want to pay a service charge. Hmmm that seems crazy to me. If you do not want to pay, which we sometimes do not, pour nice big glasses in your cabin and head out with them.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 10:35 PM, Ewing said:

Yes, same.

I get the drinks package for cocktails and sparkling water. Wine I usually buy by the bottle and utilise the 20-40% discount (depending on the base price) that comes with the drinks or dining package.

This sounds like the best plan for us. But it's not clear if the drinks package includes ANY cocktail made with the specific liquors listed. Are drinks like old fashioneds, cosmos, chocolate martinis, and margaritas included as long as you request one of the liquors on the list? Or is it just standard mixed drinks (vodka & soda, gin & tonic, rum & coke, etc.)?

On 11/27/2018 at 8:18 PM, Wilson said:

We have never been charged a corkage fee.

and we have, every time.    and we are in suites even!  

10 hours ago, cruzinisgood said:

I have always put my 2 bottles in my check in bags as I don't like to haul them around on the ship when we board. Have never been called to the naughty room. Unless RCCL has changed in the last 2 years

yep.   they specify carry on only for all  drinks you bring on board( water, soda,  wine)  

the wine selection on board ranges from barely drinkable to  not bad.  if you have a specific preference, just bring it  yourself and open it in your cabin to avoid the corkage fee.  

On 11/29/2018 at 5:15 PM, KelJ said:

Charging the corkage fee has been the policy for a while now. You can open your wine in your cabin and enjoy it there or pour it into glasses and carry the glasses anywhere you want. But if you carry your bottle into any venue, open or not, they are supposed to charge the corkage fee. By raising a fuss, I’m sure they thought you wouldn’t tip them so they backed off from doing what they are supposed to do. 

Yes, it is the policy, but as many have pointed out, very few instances of it being charged or even mentioned.

Last two cruises, we took a bottle of wine to Chops.  Neither time was the subject of corkage even mentioned.

12 hours ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

This sounds like the best plan for us. But it's not clear if the drinks package includes ANY cocktail made with the specific liquors listed. Are drinks like old fashioneds, cosmos, chocolate martinis, and margaritas included as long as you request one of the liquors on the list? Or is it just standard mixed drinks (vodka & soda, gin & tonic, rum & coke, etc.)?

There is a price list.  And there is a max price per drink covered by the package.  If you order something over the max price, they charge you the difference only (plus 18% of the difference).

The only things that tend to go above the limit are some wines (many of them actually) or some frozen drinks or some high end spirits.

Margaritas are fine.  Caipirinhas (our favorite) are fine.  Frozen Mud Slides are fine.  Martinis are fine.

Those are things I have had that did not have an extra charge.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 10:10 AM, bowler15547 said:

To give you an idea... I enjoy Caymus on occasion, which is $85 in the state store in Pennsylvania, it is $124+18% gratuity on board. 

This example is probably true but not indicative of the typical wine consumed on the ship.  The expensive wines are not marked up as crazily as the inexpensive wines are.  My wife likes Savingnon Blanc and her go to wine is Kim Crawford.  Sam’s Club it is 11.99 at a local grocery store, 12.99 or 13.99.  On board the Symphony I think it was $48. 

I think the worst mark-up is on Beringer White Zin aka pink Koolaid. Markup on that is at least 6 or 7 times.

jc

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

This example is probably true but not indicative of the typical wine consumed on the ship.  The expensive wines are not marked up as crazily as the inexpensive wines are.  My wife likes Savingnon Blanc and her go to wine is Kim Crawford.  Sam’s Club it is 11.99 at a local grocery store, 12.99 or 13.99.  On board the Symphony I think it was $48. 

I think the worst mark-up is on Beringer White Zin aka pink Koolaid. Markup on that is at least 6 or 7 times.

jc

A few years back, we noticed that RC appears to add a flat $30-$40 to the retail price of a bottle, hence the very good prices for expensive wines and very poor prices of inexpensive wines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

A few years back, we noticed that RC appears to add a flat $30-$40 to the retail price of a bottle, hence the very good prices for expensive wines and very poor prices of inexpensive wines.

That would explain the pricing system.  I agree that seems to be the basic concept.  

I know when we did a charter on the Splendour way back in 2006 the owner of the company who was used to drinking fine wines when he dined out locally was constantly coming to me with another glass of wine to try as the DW and I were having dinner with other customers.  He was so happy that he could sample so many wines at what seemed to him as extremely reasonable prices.  So, this basic structure has been in place a while, but when the drink packages took off, so did the prices of inexpensive wines.  These all went from say 25 a bottle to 40 to 50 a bottle.  I used to always buy the wine and dine package which gave you decent wines for about 20 bucks a bottle.  NOw it is at least $40, and I am glad I am diamond plus.  😈:classic_laugh:

jc

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

That would explain the pricing system.  I agree that seems to be the basic concept.  

I know when we did a charter on the Splendour way back in 2006 the owner of the company who was used to drinking fine wines when he dined out locally was constantly coming to me with another glass of wine to try as the DW and I were having dinner with other customers.  He was so happy that he could sample so many wines at what seemed to him as extremely reasonable prices.  So, this basic structure has been in place a while, but when the drink packages took off, so did the prices of inexpensive wines.  These all went from say 25 a bottle to 40 to 50 a bottle.  I used to always buy the wine and dine package which gave you decent wines for about 20 bucks a bottle.  NOw it is at least $40, and I am glad I am diamond plus.  😈:classic_laugh:

jc

Beringer is almost $30 now. 🤣

On 11/28/2018 at 11:54 AM, MikeNTeriAZ said:

You are so right. And it's funny...that's what we're taking on board. No judgment please. 😉  It's what we like and that's that.  I did notice when we had the drink package with RCCI in Alaska, I seemed to get such a 'look' or attitude from the waiters when that was what we ordered.  Oh well.  I know what I like and it's sweet cheap wine.  At least I'm not dragging Boones Farm or Night Train Express on. haha.

Leaving tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your comments. 

We booked a STAR suite for next year.  I'm quite sure Laura will be requesting the WZ from our Genie. 😂

WE always bring two of our finest wines on board from our wine cellar at home.  The wine list on board is limited and the costs are just way more than I feel comfortable purchasing.  You can buy wine bags on Amazon.  They work great. We've never had an issue with a wine bottle breaking.  Enjoy.  

On 1/14/2019 at 10:16 PM, cruzinisgood said:

I have always put my 2 bottles in my check in bags as I don't like to haul them around on the ship when we board. Have never been called to the naughty room. Unless RCCL has changed in the last 2 years

Sometimes we bring wine and sometimes not....but we have never paid a corkage fee.  We are also sailing on Symphony on 2/9/19, so we may have the chance to meet!

23 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

You can buy wine bags on Amazon.  They work great. We've never had an issue with a wine bottle breaking.  Enjoy.  

I just wrap them in clothes.  Wine, whisky, whatever.

In 30 years of travel, I have lost two bottles.  One ended up in the corner of a soft suitcase, and they dropped it on that corner.

The other one just broke.  I think a defective bottle, as the bottle next to it was fine.  Hard side suitcase.