Cruise ship Names

gbenjo

After reading what P&O will be renaming the Grand Princess "Pacific Adventure" it started me thinking as to why cruise lines have many ship names the same as other lines.  eg RCCL have Adventure of the Seas and P&O will have Pacific Adventure Carnival are renaming one of their ships carnival Radiance and RCCL already have Radiance of the Seas.. in fact Carnival have five ships with the "same name" as RCCL and P&O will have both the Pacific Adventure and the Pacific Explorer the same as RCCL (yes, I am comparing against RCCL as that is who I am mainly  "associated with) but NCL and Princess both have a Dawn, a Star and a Sun, Ncl also has a Jewel as does RCCL Other smaller lines also have several "same name" ships so I am wondering if there is a reason for this or is it just lazy (no research)  coincidence naming or some possible marketing ploy???? OK I will now go out and get a life :classic_smile:

Yes the cruise lines definitely need to use some imagination. I have had a few friends tell me they are going on ships, from Sydney,  that don't come to Australia. They usually just quote the Explorer name for example rather than the full brand and name. 

I wouldn't say its laziness; they seem to put a lot of effort and have a list of potentials for upcoming ships before selecting one. i.e. trademarks are taken against multiple names so that someone else can't take it before it's chosen.

45 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I wonder if someone did research once that showed the names of precious stones (Jewel, Diamond, Pearl, etc) or ones that suggested adventure (Explorer, Oasis, et al) attracted more cruisers.

Perhaps these names are thought to be more glamorous sounding and therefore attract more passengers. Although Ovation of the Seas sounds like they are self applauding the cruise line.

Leigh

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Perhaps these names are thought to be more glamorous sounding and therefore attract more passengers. Although Ovation of the Seas sounds like they are self applauding the cruise line.

Leigh

My first thought was of my Ovation guitar.

15 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

I wouldn't say its laziness; they seem to put a lot of effort and have a list of potentials for upcoming ships before selecting one. i.e. trademarks are taken against multiple names so that someone else can't take it before it's chosen.

I would assume they could trademark a name eg "Radiance of the Seas"  but could not trademark the one word Radiance so Carnival could use (copy) Carnival Radiance with  no problems. I just think that with all the money they spend building the ships they could come up with something original for a name .......eg Callum Murray:classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, gbenjo said:

I would assume they could trademark a name eg "Radiance of the Seas"  but could not trademark the one word Radiance so Carnival could use (copy) Carnival Radiance with  no problems. I just think that with all the money they spend building the ships they could come up with something original for a name .......eg Callum Murray:classic_biggrin:

Probably the only add that’s made me giggle all year, mainly because I know a family of Murray, and one of the girls married a guy last name Callum, so we were joking about the wedding invitations for months. (That would have been near on 40 years ago I guess).

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

That is the line I use on guests when they go through APass (boarding on the Ovation ) that we are giving them a "standing Ovation":classic_blink:  Although I do think as there  other recent  ships named "Harmony" and "Symphony" there is a theme there.......and we.... sorry ..they.. do have "Bravo" cruises on the Radiance:classic_biggrin: not to mention Rhapsody   &   Serenade

4 hours ago, gbenjo said:

After reading what P&O will be renaming the Grand Princess "Pacific Adventure" it started me thinking as to why cruise lines have many ship names the same as other lines.

I have a theory and if I'm right P&O will rename Star Princess as "Pacific Discovery".

I think that they've started an nautical explorer theme.

Adventure and Discovery were two of the ships that accompanied Captain Cook on his voyages in the Pacific.

44 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I have a theory and if I'm right P&O will rename Star Princess as "Pacific Discovery".

I think that they've started an nautical explorer theme.

Adventure and Discovery were two of the ships that accompanied Captain Cook on his voyages in the Pacific.

Maybe right, Endeavour after that but what was up with the Aria and Eden then. 

45 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Maybe right, Endeavour after that but what was up with the Aria and Eden then. 

Weren't they chosen from a competition? Though with a lot of entries they would have had the pick of many names. But possibly wanted something either a single entry so no arguments about prizes, or just had a different influence due to the way it was run.

Though they could have just done an Andrew Constance and picked their own anyway!

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I think it also has something familiar with brand and name association.

But that is kind of my point...why would you have a name that can cause confusion for customers and risk the ship being mistaken for another from a rival cruise line?

30 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Weren't they chosen from a competition? Though with a lot of entries they would have had the pick of many names. But possibly wanted something either a single entry so no arguments about prizes, or just had a different influence due to the way it was run.

Though they could have just done an Andrew Constance and picked their own anyway!

Pacific pacificface?

7 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

But that is kind of my point...why would you have a name that can cause confusion for customers and risk the ship being mistaken for another from a rival cruise line?

I agree, I would be tempted to name a whole line after famous Dames (like Cunard does with Queens). 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree, I would be tempted to name a whole line after famous Dames (like Cunard does with Queens). 

But they are running out of Queens. 

Though i I guess there are way more Dames so you might be onto something.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The media used to get confused between Pacific Sun and Sun Princess, and between Pacific Dawn and Dawn Princess.:classic_biggrin:

Maybe that says more about some in the media than it does about ship names🤪😳

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

But they are running out of Queens. 

Though i I guess there are way more Dames so you might be onto something.

There are plenty of queens around these days  (they can even get married) but I would not fancy sailing on the " Allan Jones Princess" at all for example 😱😱😂😂