Are Cabins Quiet?

LewiLewi

16 hours ago, Islandbc said:

We had the very unfortunate issue of being next to very inconsiderate neighbors.  They obviously had another couple visiting in their room with them on the first night and the partying went on until at least 2:30 a.m.  At one point I thought that there might be a medical emergency,  as we heard a woman screaming, but it later turned into very loud laughing.  We didn't complain, as we thought that this behavior was just due to the excitement of the first night.  

The second night was quiet.  On the third night we had a repeat performance of the first night, so I called security,2:15 a.m.  After the phone rang next door the noise level went down a bit, but didn't end until about 3 a.m.

The next morning after our early tour off the ship, we visited customer services on level 1.  When we revisited them at about 3 p.m.  The second person looked up the record of our previous visit and found that an alternate cabin had been found for us.  As it was a lower level than the one we were in, I suggested that the people causing the problem should be moved.  Apparently this was not possible, so we moved.  

We were most appreciative of the two people in customer service who assisted us. We were told that the guests who were so inconsiderate were "very young."  I don't believe that this is an excuse for inappropriate behavior.  

Young age is not an excuse to be rude.  I agree with Heidi.  Security should have checked on them nightly. 

We had a very similar experience on our cruise in September. Our neighbours were very noisy the first few  nights - the male guest was a very heavy drinker and came back very late ( early hours) banging the doors, raising his voice and putting on the TV. We spoke with them when we got to the point of  “no more tolerance” and his partner was clearly very embarrassed indeed - it did mostly solve the problem. Although it didn’t stop him coming back late I am sure his wife had made it clear to him that she wasn’t happy. He used to sleep in very late, she often breakfasted on her own. We saw him regularly in the Explorers Lounge drinking with a friend  -unfortunately we had found as a neighbour one  of the very few irresponsible drinkers on board who was determined to get the very most out of his silver spirits package. We have cruised three times now with Viking and have only heard low level TV - the rooms are very well soundproofed. If our discussion had not worked we would have definitely gone to guest services and I am sure they would have acted. Maybe the bartenders need to be a little more assertive with very heavy drinkers??? !! ( Controversial!!) . Can I say I am sure this is an extremely rare problem1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

I would have knocked on their door and had a very polite conversation

Perhaps a possibility for you, but at 2:30 a.m. I did not feel comfortable approaching 4 intoxicated people .  Thought that it was the job of security or guest services to deal with this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Perhaps a possibility for you, but at 2:30 a.m. I did not feel comfortable approaching 4 intoxicated people .  Thought that it was the job of security or guest services to deal with this.

I agree....I would hope that security would deal with this. 

17 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Totally agree.

While resolving conflict starts with talking to the other party, 02:30 is not a good time to discuss issues with drunks. That's why the Purser's Desk and Security is manned 24/7.

We have been on 3 Viking Ocean cruises. 2 were very quiet on decks 3 (above the theater) and deck five midship. Our last trip was deck six and it was very noisy between around 12:00 midnight and 1:30 am as they were cleaning up the area around the pool. There were chaise lounges and chairs being moved and quite a bit of noise in general. I would not recommend a room under the pool area. We are cruising again this May and have a cabin on Deck 5. Never had any noise from neighboring rooms or the elevators.

• 1 year later...

Viking Sea:  Cabins in the  vicinity of 3055 get the loud and very unpleasant noise from the rock and roll band that plays in the evening in the Torshaven Bar on the deck immediately below  --  particularly the obnoxious, penetrating, and reverberating  sounds coming from the bass guitar.  We usually are in bed by 10:00 or 10:30, but the band plays until well after midnight.

This is intolerable and I called passenger services, who promised to let us exchange rooms the next day.  We'll see how this works out.  I will get off this ship and abandon this cruise tomorrow if I cannot find a quiet room free of such an awful disturbance.

Bottom Line:  I suspect this problem is common to all of the Viking ocean going ships.  Unless you like to hear really bad rock and roll music with a powerful and driving bass guitar until well after midnight each evening, study the deck plans VERY carefully before booking, avoid any of the areas (adjacent to, above, or below) where rock and roll music is played at night, and don't book a cabin anywhere near Cabin 3055!

• Like 1

We were unfortunately in that room on the beginning of our WC.  Torshaven also is used midafternoon for some rehearsals.  PLUS we had a passenger using the room with all electronics for practicing his crooning at 6:30 am( this was remedied quickly once I found the source which took a few days) he had permission but the cruise director had no IDEA that he would be so very loud. It took a few weeks to find us and our next door neighbor a new room but Viking finally was able to move us!!!  They we so helpful in packing us up and moving. Those room should not be used by passengers....some of the visiting performers should be assigned to them.  DO NOT accept those rooms.

All other room assignments have been very quiet.  We did not mind even being over the anchor ...it was a perfect alarm clock and the noise from theatre was OK because it was a normal time to be awake an not nearly as jarring as music from Torshaven.  We are regular Torshaven users but NOT every night until closing.

Edited by deec
more info
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2018 at 11:10 PM, vnb2003 said:

We heard our neighbors TV both times we cruised on Star. First time was the worst because our neighbors didn’t hear well. Plus it seemed the TV was always on. We actually had to turn up volume to hear better our TV. That was on deck 6 in cabin 6013. The second time was better (deck 5 cabin 5091) but we still heard it. I do hear very well and actually use ear plugs at night. But honestly we had such a good time and were so relaxed that it didn’t bother us 🙂

We are in 5091 upcoming. Can you tell me if the cabin had sliding glass doors or one of the ones with a fixed glass panel and a separate door. Thanks

3 hours ago, schaitberger said:

We are in 5091 upcoming. Can you tell me if the cabin had sliding glass doors or one of the ones with a fixed glass panel and a separate door. Thanks

Yes, it had sliding door and we loved it.

4 hours ago, schaitberger said:

5089 and 5091 are sliding doors.  Known for a fact.

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Mentioned by Heidi13 early in the thread was the possibility of a fire bulkhead cabin wall being thicker. We had 5049 on our cruise which is at the fire bulkhead and also has the bed and chairs arranged to face forward.

I always wondered . . .  where are the fire bulkhead walls and thus, which cabins might have this?  Looking at a picture of the ship, it looks like 5049 is next to the wall that goes down past the tender on deck 2.  Anyone know where the fire bulkhead walls are?

17 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I always wondered . . .  where are the fire bulkhead walls and thus, which cabins might have this?  Looking at a picture of the ship, it looks like 5049 is next to the wall that goes down past the tender on deck 2.  Anyone know where the fire bulkhead walls are?

Here are two photos of the hallway by our cabin 5049. The first is looking forward with 5049 on the right. The second is looking aft with 5047 on the left. Notice the steel door that would close nestled into the wall.

Looking Forward

DSC07538.thumb.JPG.15bfc40b286a9b70c5cdd94b1ecb576d.JPG

Looking Aft

DSC07537.thumb.JPG.a91d0871ddad4308e8069c91b358584c.JPG

We have been unlucky on two cruises where our neighbours liked to watch TV late at night ( after 11:00 pm) with the volume quite high. The TVs are mounted on the partitions that separate the cabins and there is very little sound insulation.

If you are lucky, you won’t have a problem,  but there is no way to know. Ear plugs might be a good investment.

J,

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

The transverse fire zone bulkheads are at each of the fire doors.

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The transverse fire zone bulkheads are at each of the fire doors.

Thanks, Andy.  Does anyone know what rooms would be next to the fire doors?  Obviously 5049 and 5047 from the previous post (and the corresponding port rooms).  

I actually keep a "map" of the rooms with sliders marked, doors to crew quarters marked, favorite rooms, rooms to avoid, etc...   (I know - anal)

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Andy.  Does anyone know what rooms would be next to the fire doors?  Obviously 5049 and 5047 from the previous post (and the corresponding port rooms).  

I actually keep a "map" of the rooms with sliders marked, doors to crew quarters marked, favorite rooms, rooms to avoid, etc...   (I know - anal)

Unfortunately that isn't something I tracked and with Viking numbering the cabins sequentially regardless of the fire zone, it's impossible to tell without a GA drawing or being on the ship.

Back in my Princess days it was easy, as the 1st number was the deck, the 2nd was the fire zone (from fwd) and the last 2 or 3 were the cabin. Therefore, the first and last cabins in each zone had a solid fire bulkhead between them.