Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I had another peek in Club Orange as I headed back down.  Just one couple in there, but it still has the kitchen setup, so perhaps if it’s not a success, they will change it back to the Culinary Arts Centre.

IMO, if there were only two people there, it seems as if the "non-suite" passengers are not seeing a good value for $50/pp/pd.  And I heartily agree.  Also, it is looking as if the suite passengers are not appreciating it as a supposedly-upscale venue, either.  Perhaps just using it as the America's Test Kitchen will be sufficient to earn it a permanent place there at all.  Or not.  Time will tell.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I had another peek in Club Orange as I headed back down.  Just one couple in there, but it still has the kitchen setup, so perhaps if it’s not a success, they will change it back to the Culinary Arts Centre.C410904A-E772-4F26-B6C4-979B313A30E1.thumb.jpeg.9b89f88ac528c0b1ed2eb4b519e2ecf9.jpeg

Twenty-three at Sit and Stitch today.

So no more Pinnacle breakfast for... this?

Had I anticipated Pinnacle breakfast as a perk, I would be disappointed. Do they ever make it look more swanky? As it is, this hardly looks exclusive and luxurious. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3

I am very sorry to ask this, as it probably has been reported earlier, but since I cannot seem to find the information (either here or on HAL's site), here's my question:

I know there is a charge for Adult libations in the Dutch Cafe, but what about the food?  It looks SO good, and seems as if it could and will be one of my favorites on my voyage, but I just wondered about the cost.  If it is ala carte, could one of you please post the food menu? (Budgeting, you know :classic_wink:)

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

I just want to send a HUGE thank you to Ann, Sherita, and all the rest of you here for your great photos and information from the Inaugural Sailing of the beautiful Nieuw Statendam.  I am really enjoying all your posts and they have increased my excitement for my arrival onboard next Wednesday.  

To those of you staying on board for the 4-day, I hope to meet you all at the Meet & Greet on Thursday, December 20 at 11:00 AM in the Billboard Onboard venue.  (Apologies for putting a notification here on your wonderful thread.  I just want to be sure everyone knows about it and can attend. If you have not already done so, please go to the Roll Call thread and let me know if you will join us there.  Thanks!)

Meanwhile, again, thank you for all your are doing to take us along on your wonderful cruise.  I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do this for all of us, and I want to be sure you know it is greatly appreciated.

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

• Like 3

142D5BFA-937D-44B1-86BA-9C56AF154EDD.thumb.jpeg.8420993018d6d44ca018b373b4b701f4.jpegThere was an amazing concert in the Lincoln Center Stage this afternoon.  Our quintet, called Atlys, has two presentations most afternoons.  They play everything from movie themes to classical and today was Brahm’s 7th piano quintet in F minor.  Almost an hour of nonstop music and this was the first time they had played it together.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

142D5BFA-937D-44B1-86BA-9C56AF154EDD.thumb.jpeg.8420993018d6d44ca018b373b4b701f4.jpegThere was an amazing concert in the Lincoln Center Stage this afternoon.  Our quintet, called Atlys, has two presentations most afternoons.  They play everything from movie themes to classical and today was Brahm’s 7th piano quintet in F minor.  Almost an hour of nonstop music and this was the first time they had played it together.  

That sounds absolutely lovely Ann.  Definitely appealing to DH and I 😉 

29 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

I am very sorry to ask this, as it probably has been reported earlier, but since I cannot seem to find the information (either here or on HAL's site), here's my question:

I know there is a charge for Adult libations in the Dutch Cafe, but what about the food?  It looks SO good, and seems as if it could and will be one of my favorites on my voyage, but I just wondered about the cost.  If it is ala carte, could one of you please post the food menu? (Budgeting, you know :classic_wink:)

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

No charge for the food in Dutch Cafe.  There is a charge for the drinks.  But you don’t even have to buy a coffee to eat there.  We were discussing it the other day, and felt they could charge, it is so good, but we are happy they don’t.  But I think the Explorations Cafe is being neglected.  Who wants to go up to the Crows Nest when all the action is down on 2 and 3?

• Thanks 1

Just now, kazu said:

That sounds absolutely lovely Ann.  Definitely appealing to DH and I 😉 

We are really enjoying them. Three Americans, one Canadian, and the pianist is from Northern Ireland.  I think some of them may have played together before, but this is their first gig together as a quintet.  They went ashore in Funchal to play.  We came back on the shuttle with the cello and its owner, Genevieve. 

They were here playing so enthusiastically they were bouncing up and down on their chairs!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

They must really be trying to push this whole Club Orange thing. I sail in 3 weeks and I’ve already received 3 separate upsell offers for $50 per day per person. Not worth it in my mind.

Someone on our roll call, said at Sit and Stitch that a couple at their dinner table are in Club Orange.  I will ask for an opinion.  I imagine they are not thrilled with it, if the go to the MDR for dinner.

48 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

So no more Pinnacle breakfast for... this?

Had I anticipated Pinnacle breakfast as a perk, I would be disappointed. Do they ever make it look more swanky? As it is, this hardly looks exclusive and luxurious. 

We really enjoyed it on Koningsdam as a casual eatery for tapas.  I hope it eventually gets changed back.  Pinnacle is where the suite people should be having their breakfast, behind the big red doors!

Pinnacle getting ready for the Cellar Master dinner.

82B71D70-2225-4138-B342-88807748365D.thumb.jpeg.59ff544532350db97693855b50bc52c4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

IIRC, on the K'dam we didn't have to pay for coffee using our beverage package, but we never ordered beer or other drinks. I assume those would be covered too?

most of  the beers seem to be within the SBP price range.  I will check on the other drinks.  What is the limit now - $8?  I’m not sure how the coffee works - I think you have to use your card for it.  

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

most of  the beers seem to be within the SBP price range.  I will check on the other drinks.  What is the limit now - $8?  I’m not sure how the coffee works - I think you have to use your card for it.  

Thanks for your amazingly quick reply! 

12 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

SPB limit is $9, Ann.  Any drink $9 or under.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

No charge for the food in Dutch Cafe.  There is a charge for the drinks.  But you don’t even have to buy a coffee to eat there.  We were discussing it the other day, and felt they could charge, it is so good, but we are happy they don’t.  But I think the Explorations Cafe is being neglected.  Who wants to go up to the Crows Nest when all the action is down on 2 and 3?

I was just about to ask the same question, thank you beachbunny6 for asking 🙂  For some reason I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there is a charge,  and Mariner discounts apply.  So a pleasant surprise.

Thank you for everything Ann, I'm loving this thread and can't wait until we board next September!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

I was just about to ask the same question, thank you beachbunny6 for asking 🙂  For some reason I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there is a charge,  and Mariner discounts apply.  So a pleasant surprise.

There is a charge for the coffees, and the Mariner discount do apply on them - but not on the alcoholic drinks, as far as I know.  Just no charge for the food....

• Thanks 1