Scenic route from Miami to Tampa

Sailor Taylor

Will have one day between a Miami cruise and a Tampa cruise and the plan is to drive. 

Any Floridians can recommend a cool scenic route? How about the Alligator Alley? And what is a good town to spend the night on the route?  Naples? Fort Meyer? Marco Island? Or is it better to drive straight to Tampa?  

We have been to the National Park twice already so that's not a priority.  

Edited by Sailor Taylor

the east/west portion of I-75 IS what is also known as Alligator Alley {it was AA until 75 finally was completed south from Tampa and connected to it}

The alternate route which is a lil further south and considered more scenic by some would be route 41 which for the same area runs between Naples west Miami.  In other word it runs thru the Everglades too ....

there's pretty much nuthin on 75/AA on this stretch .... along 41 you'll find some tourist traps, air boat rides etc ...

alligator alley.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

Alligator Alley is I-75, and it is pretty boring. Just a lot of swamps. No towns other than one rest stop to stop at. 

If you really want something different. I would look into taking US-27 towards Lake Wales. That is a side of Florida so few people see. Many smaller towns you can stop at there. 

Tampa has plenty to see for one day, so you could just take the most direct route (I-75/alligator alley) and go that way. 

• Thanks 1

There is no right answer.  It depends on what you want to do.  Tamiami (US41) makes sense if you maybe want to stop and do an airboat or search for the Skunk Ape.  It's the best place for tours but not necessarily "scenic".

US27, as Flymia said, is a great option, too.  I find it more scenic than both Alligator Alley and Tamiami Trail.  I make the US27 drive quite often (several times per month) and still enjoy it.  There is great roadside attraction, Gatorama, on the way.  Plus Bok Tower, Lake Placid (murals, etc.), and quite a lot of other stuff.  The drive is through the sugar cane fields, everglades, some old small towns, etc.  But nowhere near the beach.

So you may also want to look at the coastal route as smalltimecruiser suggested.  But 75 isn't going to be scenic, so you would want to jump off the highway and go see stuff. If you simply want a scenic drive with no stopping, then US27 is going to be your best bet.  Though really, it's not terribly "scenic" - this is Florida after all!

Edited by BNBR
  • Thanks 1

We have gator farms up there and you can get gator tail at just about every restaurant in that area.  Good idea!  We actually buy it direct from the farm and fry it up for parties.  But yeah, definitely recommend stopping and trying it if you haven't.

Wild Turkey is good little local spot, how the heck did you end up there?

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Many thanks!  

Will do US41 on one way to and US27 on the way back.  

.  Route 41 (Tamiami Trail) might be a tad more scenic but don't be in any hurry.   The road is only 1 lane in each direction  and  if you get stuck behind slower moving traffic or delays, , could increase your travel time over to Naples.   .  Had done this Route many times before I75 was built.  I actually go  a little out of my way now and take  I75  over to Naples. 

Edited by Missymo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Missymo said:

.  Route 41 (Tamiami Trail) might be a tad more scenic but don't be in any hurry.   The road is only 1 lane in each direction  and  if you get stuck behind slower moving traffic or delays, , could increase your travel time over to Naples.   .  Had done this Route many times before I75 was built.  I actually go out of my way when I have to travel to Naples., Go up to I75 then over to Naples. 

I've never seen a Skunk Ape off I75.

Edited by BNBR

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

We have gator farms up there and you can get gator tail at just about every restaurant in that area.  Good idea!  We actually buy it direct from the farm and fry it up for parties.  But yeah, definitely recommend stopping and trying it if you haven't.

Wild Turkey is good little local spot, how the heck did you end up there?

My mother and grandmother used to be retired in the area and we visited often.  Wild Turkey was not really their type of place, but the gator tail was enough to bring us in. :classic_cool:

15 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

My mother and grandmother used to be retired in the area and we visited often.  Wild Turkey was not really their type of place, but the gator tail was enough to bring us in. :classic_cool:

Very cool.  We have a second home in Lake Placid and my dad does as well.  I keep my camper stored right next to Wild Turkey.  Another option that you should check out is Dock 633, it's just a 2 minutes off US27 and excellent home made food with a great crowd and less "bar" if that makes sense.  (Jaxsons, too, which is right near it).  They both have really good local gator tail options.