Silver Spirits Package

Mahogany

We enjoyed the explorers lounge or living room bar before dinner most every evening. I enjoy a good martini, and can tell you that the Grey Goose martini is $9.50 to answer an earlier question. We would have one or two pre dinner drinks, plus enjoy the much better selection of wines and the SSP was well worth our investment. 

On our trip last month, We had essentially 4 sea days, and did not find ourselves in most ports late, so that played into our decision. 

If you enjoy decent wines, as we do, that in itself was worth the cost to us at $19.95/pp. Add to that, the upgraded wines in Chefs Table, we were very happy with the package. 

I think it is such an individual and even situational decision. Also itinerary could play into included wines ( think Europe vs Asia, etc.) as well as number of sea days. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Thanks for the reply.  My specific question is...When you are seated for dinner the staff is probably aware you have signed up for the Silver Beverage package.  Are there premium wines selected by Viking that pair with the offered meal that evening and they automatically served to you or do you actually have a choice of wines for the evening?  Is there a printed wine list?  How do you know you are receiving the premium selection v.s. the basic house wine that is offered without the SBP (Silver Beverage Package)?   Hate to be so sticky on this, but wine is an important part of my dining experience.  We just need to clarify the process.

There is a wine list that you may choose from.  In our experience a bottle is brought to the table of what you ordered and poured. If you want you can taste it first to determine if it to your liking.   Sometimes if we both order the same wine they will put the bottle in a bucket table side or very close.

If you always sit in the same section of the dining room the wait staff will probably remember that you have the package if not just  let them know you want to choose a different wine....even if you don't have the package you can order another wine and pay for it by the glass/bottle.  Sometimes there is a wait (longer than if you are getting house wine) for someone to come and help with your choice....I solve this by bringing a pre-dinner cocktail or glass of wine from the bar with me into the dining room...then I don't care if it takes more time to get served.  INfrequently someone may try to top off your glass with house wine so pay attention!

Mr. Deec,  

Thank you for your insight and recommendation....I'll bring my first glass of wine to the table with me!  Brilliant!   Why Viking cannot simply explain how their Silver package works confounds me.  Your explanation was clear and concise. You are the voice of experience.

We've sailed many times on another cruise line but this is our first cruise on Viking.  Just learning the ropes for our first transatlantic crossing.   We will have many days and evenings to explore the full potential and maximized benefits of the 'package'.   2,248  posts!   Keep them coming!

We are trying to decide whether to purchase the Silver Package

We do enjoy premium wines, but am unable find the price of wine by the glass other than the $5 bar price.

Is there a more comprehensive wine list available? Thanks to anyone can help.

This is our first Viking cruise and we are looking to our Baltics cruise, travelling from Australia July 2020

Eagles09, 

I have been working on this question for days trying to make the same decision about the Silver Package.  I am not computer savvy and cannot seem to copy the information on a PDF I received from a Viking representative.  If you would like to provide me with your email I would be happy to send a copy of our communication.   These are lists of spirits by brand, mixed drinks, champagnes, etc., prices, and availability at various bar locations on board.

I have not been able to get a wine list.   I too  like a good wine with  my meal and know I will not be happy with the house pours.   Even if you purchased  the Silver package  I do not know if you would be allowed a $15 'cushion' and be charged let's say $5 on a $20 glass of wine.  This should be simple but Viking's policies seem elusive which makes me question their motive.

I will share whatever I learn on this post.

Just now, Unsatiable said:

Eagles09, 

I have been working on this question for days trying to make the same decision about the Silver Package.  I am not computer savvy and cannot seem to copy the information on a PDF I received from a Viking representative.  If you would like to provide me with your email I would be happy to send a copy of our communication.   These are lists of spirits by brand, mixed drinks, champagnes, etc., prices, and availability at various bar locations on board.

I have not been able to get a wine list.   I too  like a good wine with  my meal and know I will not be happy with the house pours.   Even if you purchased  the Silver package  I do not know if you would be allowed a $15 'cushion' and be charged let's say $5 on a $20 glass of wine.  This should be simple but Viking's policies seem elusive which makes me question their motive.

There is no printed wine list.

My wife is given an iPad with currently available wines when she asks for the wine list.

Sommelier Maxsym is very knowledgeable, as are a few others on the staff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unsatiable said:

Thank you for posting all of these! 

3 hours ago, Unsatiable said:

Eagles09, 

To answer your question according to others on this board (I had the same question) you have to pay the full price for any drinks over the $15 limit. We have yet to sail Viking and are coming over from Celebrity where you can just pay the difference. That said in my research I've been rather impressed with how low the drink prices overall are on Viking which gives me hope for wine prices as well.

Edited by prim8keeper

The wine list changed with every cruise we took...some old favorites...some new....and sometimes they run out of something I have been liking...be flexible!  you are correct if it over $15 you PAY for the entire drink or a not included wine.

Drinks are reasonable...but remember if you are drinking something like Scotch you will probably want a "double". same with an after dinner Bailey's in the theatre.

YES, I love the SS package!!!

3 hours ago, deec said:

The wine list changed with every cruise we took...some old favorites...some new....and sometimes they run out of something I have been liking...be flexible!  you are correct if it over $15 you PAY for the entire drink or a not included wine.

Drinks are reasonable...but remember if you are drinking something like Scotch you will probably want a "double". same with an after dinner Bailey's in the theatre.

YES, I love the SS package!!!

Hi Dee -

Looking forward to meeting a fellow wine lover on our Midnight Sun cruise next June!

We concur with all your comments!  Each cruise we've been on has had different SSP Wine lists - likely depending on location and on inventory.  Yes indeed the staff certainly did get to know our favorites as the days went by.  And like you, we would often bring in our drink or glass of wine to dinner just in case there was any waiting to be served!  We think the same for sure.

We also enjoyed the after dinner drinks while watching the evening entertainment shows.

Kent

• Like 1

For us, it was worth the price, especially since Viking doesn't wildly price it.

Just make sure to pay attention to your account.  If a server doesn't input the drink within the package, it can erroneously be charged full price to your room as happened on our Sky voyage last week.  Easily taken care of.

My main problem with Viking's alcohol program are the selections of wine.  I wish they had better premium by-the-bottle offerings.  

• Like 1

This 'thread-discussion' has complete agreement with your perspective and now stated fact and premium wine selection on Viking Sky is limited.  (N.B. maybe someone from Viking will read and heed these remarks and that will change.)  Hope springs eternal.

We will be arriving on ship after 4-5 weeks of nomadic travel though France and Spain.  You better believe there will be at least a few bottles of superb wines in tow.  We'll take those to dinner (no corkage) if the premium choices 'bomb'. 

We are primarily bourbon drinkers and most of those are doubles.  Add a beer with lunch, a couple cocktails before dinner, a night-cap and the Silver Package pays for itself.  True, we don't ever drink that much on a daily basis but with a transatlantic crossing...those are totally relaxing days with few real commitments to total sobriety. 

Edited by Unsatiable
clarity
  • Like 4

I am smiling....We came home early November from a River Cruise through France....abstained from all alcohol and bread&butter for 10 days just to make sure I had not developed a problem!!!!  Glad to report that I am sure my liver will be fine for our next Viking Adventure!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Mr. Deec,  
Thank you for your insight and recommendation....I'll bring my first glass of wine to the table with me!  Brilliant!   Why Viking cannot simply explain how their Silver package works confounds me.  Your explanation was clear and concise. You are the voice of experience.

We've sailed many times on another cruise line but this is our first cruise on Viking.  Just learning the ropes for our first transatlantic crossing.   We will have many days and evenings to explore the full potential and maximized benefits of the 'package'.   2,248  posts!   Keep them coming!
It's not really hard to explain or understand. Anything $15 or less is included.
The specific wines available will vary by geographic location and ship.

On Viking Jupiter (the newest ship) all wine menus were on an electronic tablet. Don't know if the older ships will be switching to this system.

Bartenders will ask your room number and they'll see you have the package, and that's it. They often remember you after your first encounter.
In the restaurants, the maitre d will ask your room number (if he doesn't remember you) and then he and your waiter will know you have the package. If you already know what wine you want (because you've already seen the wine list) they'll get it for you. The sommelier may serve your wine if you have the package, and if you are interested in suggestions, they're happy to help.

The whole thing was simply effortless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dialogue on the SSP has been excellent and I personally appreciate everyone's commitment to educate  'new' cruisers to Vikings policies.   As stated before, every cruise line has specific policies and it is best to make an effort to fully understand what you are committing to before embarkation.  Each 'critics' entry has been helpful, encouraging and some down right lighthearted.

Ron and I have confidently made the best decision on the SSP for our circumstances.  Thanks to all of you!  

I know it's been said before, but just in case, you don't have to pre-order the SSBP. Once onboard, check the wine list and bar prices, and if you think it's worth it for YOU (including consideration of convenience), purchase it onboard - it's the same price.

• Like 2

We ate at the Chef's Table several times.  The SSP covers all of the wine pairings.  We thought it was convenient and well worth it.  I know we could have brought on wine for no charge.  Perhaps if our cruise was Europe instead of Alaska, that would have been more of an option 🙂

• Like 1

We ate at the Chef's Table several times.  The SSP covers all of the wine pairings.  We thought it was convenient and well worth it.

Good point. At $25pp for the premium wine pairings at Chef's Table, you're $10 up each time you dine there, and that's if you don't have any other drinks that whole day. We ate there 4 times! That paid for a fifth day of SSBP.

I hope this is the voice of 'personal' experience as it seems contrary to what one would expect.  It's probably easier for the bar keep to pour a double, charge for it twice and not have to wash another glass!!   What every the reason...I'm happy to learn this. 

I can confirm that the $15 limit is based on the value of a single pour.  On multiple cruises I would ask the bartender for a glass with ice and to top of the glass with Jack Daniels to take back to my room (probably the equivalent of a triple).  Never so much as a hesitation. After the first night of doing this, the bartender would ask me if I wanted my JD typically before I even got all the way to the bar and never asked for my room number again.

• Like 1