Norwegian Jewel Sydney to Hobart 13 Dec

10 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I missed out on my Tasmanian gin.

made up an excuse that NCL would not let the bring it on the ship.

From the look of the course from Burnie, I think the captain may have disposed of it.

The whole of the bridge officers too.

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And had I bought anything home it would have been for friends only, so gbenjo would have remained plumb out of luck.

In other words ..he is keeping it all for himself....,,,,,,,,,.lawyers don't have friends:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

17th Melbourne.

Well, started with a disaster with taxis,  first two (one a wheelchair taxi the other a SUV) thought it was too short a fare, third (another wheelchair cab) thought the first in the line should take us. Next was a sedan and didn’t want to put the wheelchair in his boot. Oh well that’s how it goes I guess.

eventually, after we left the pier was such a nice bloke, stopped without us even flagging him down, wouldn’t allow Mrs G to help get the chair in the boot, and refused to take a cent more than was on the meter.

Off to QV markets, Mrs Gut was again surprisingly good, though we did blow. A few hundred bucks on some leather bags and some stuff for Max the Killer Schnauzer.

into town, view a few camera shops and the pen shop where Miss Guts graduation/admission pen came from a few years ago. Mr Gut resisted all temptation. Then Mrs G wanted to visit Myers and the battery was getting low, so into a little coffee shop in the arcade opposite Myers where they were kind enough to let me recharge over a coffee and bit of cake.

I was hoping to catch up with Docker, but disaster struck, or more accurately I sneezed. Unfortunately some sneezes put pressure on certain parts of the neck and I go totally deaf, plus a lot of pain. So had to cancel. Tram back to the pier so I could collapse, I was impressed by how easy it was to get on and off the trams.

A couple on the tram wanted to know about accessible cabins, so called in for a look.

49 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Rotten phone caught s some reception about 3:30 am and started piling messages, so I then sat out and watched the lights come on and the city come to life.

No good about your phone, rookie mistake but a nice thing to watch

43 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

17th Melbourne.

Well, started with a disaster with taxis,  first two (one a wheelchair taxi the other a SUV) thought it was too short a fare, third (another wheelchair cab) thought the first in the line should take us. Next was a sedan and didn’t want to put the wheelchair in his boot. Oh well that’s how it goes I guess.

eventually, after we left the pier was such a nice bloke, stopped without us even flagging him down, wouldn’t allow Mrs G to help get the chair in the boot, and refused to take a cent more than was on the meter.

Off to QV markets, Mrs Gut was again surprisingly good, though we did blow. A few hundred bucks on some leather bags and some stuff for Max the Killer Schnauzer.

into town, view a few camera shops and the pen shop where Miss Guts graduation/admission pen came from a few years ago. Mr Gut resisted all temptation. Then Mrs G wanted to visit Myers and the battery was getting low, so into a little coffee shop in the arcade opposite Myers where they were kind enough to let me recharge over a coffee and bit of cake.

I was hoping to catch up with Docker, but disaster struck, or more accurately I sneezed. Unfortunately some sneezes put pressure on certain parts of the neck and I go totally deaf, plus a lot of pain. So had to cancel. Tram back to the pier so I could collapse, I was impressed by how easy it was to get on and off the trams.

A couple on the tram wanted to know about accessible cabins, so called in for a look.

Shame about you cab and sneeze issues, thanks for the update though.

19th Sea

last day. We took it pretty easy. Did attend a “Behind the scenes” talk, with photos of crew cabins, bridge, engine room, laundry etc, explanations of pecking order on board, (who knew that the CD was 3 1/2 stripes).

Followed by a Q&A with th captain, Chief Engineer and Hotel Director, included was a handout with the usual  facts and figures, you know how much fuel to go a metre, 5000 doz eggs a week etc. it was interesting and informative.

Jewel has a bridge viewing room, where you can observe the bridge activity, without actually entering the Bridge, well worth a visit.

So in a nut shell,

Cabin was fantastic.

crew were great, had a great bar man at the Garden Cafe, would have a Diet Pepsi waiting before I was within 10 foot, never rolled through any of the buffet type areas without a crew member (often an officer) wanting to carry my plate. They were on full service and extra sanitation until the last day. Never saw our steward, still not sure if it was a he or a she, but cabin made up every time, so can’t complain.

Food was fine, I thought the buffet had a slightly better range than we have been used to. Never did get to find out what “Late snacks” were in O’Sheeans or the Great Outdoors. Ate most meals at the Buffet and O’Sheeans.

Tsars was a little inaccessible you needed to enter on deck 7, down some stairs, but I needed to go down to 6, just one lift, and wait for Mrs G to get a table allocated, a little inconvenient for us, a major problem for some who really needed an attendant and in some cases, neither of the couple were fit to climb stairs.

Took about 5 attempts to get a table at Chin Chin, but we didn’t want to book, so could probably have got in quicker.

Liked that the Newsletter included what the O’Sheeans special was and what the “theme” in the buffet was each night.

Seafood was a little light on, no Lobster, very limited prawns, had a prawn cocktail one meal, it had two prawns in it.

The ship.

a few signs of age, but overall in good nick.

no real problems getting lifts (a real plus for me)

a bit noisy in the buffet, but that may have been because it was full service, so crew had to ask what you wanted etc. and then everyone else had to raise their voice to talk

the problem discussed above re Tsars.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

19th Sea

last day. We took it pretty easy. Did attend a “Behind the scenes” talk, with photos of crew cabins, bridge, engine room, laundry etc, explanations of pecking order on board, (who knew that the CD was 3 1/2 stripes).

Followed by a Q&A with th captain, Chief Engineer and Hotel Director, included was a handout with the usual  facts and figures, you know how much fuel to go a metre, 5000 doz eggs a week etc. it was interesting and informative.

Jewel has a bridge viewing room, where you can observe the bridge activity, without actually entering the Bridge, well worth a visit.

I remember going to the Epic's viewing room, signs saying no photography and some people were taking photos. Anyway, I pointed out the sign and they shrugged as if to say who cares. 5 minutes later a security guy comes and confiscates their camera, pulls the memory card and hands it back saying no photos and if you want your card back see guest services in the morning. I suppose they would wipe the photos of the bridge.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

So in a nut shell,

Cabin was fantastic.

crew were great, had a great bar man at the Garden Cafe, would have a Diet Pepsi waiting before I was within 10 foot, never rolled through any of the buffet type areas without a crew member (often an officer) wanting to carry my plate. They were on full service and extra sanitation until the last day. Never saw our steward, still not sure if it was a he or a she, but cabin made up every time, so can’t complain.

Food was fine, I thought the buffet had a slightly better range than we have been used to. Never did get to find out what “Late snacks” were in O’Sheeans or the Great Outdoors. Ate most meals at the Buffet and O’Sheeans.

Tsars was a little inaccessible you needed to enter on deck 7, down some stairs, but I needed to go down to 6, just one lift, and wait for Mrs G to get a table allocated, a little inconvenient for us, a major problem for some who really needed an attendant and in some cases, neither of the couple were fit to climb stairs.

Took about 5 attempts to get a table at Chin Chin, but we didn’t want to book, so could probably have got in quicker.

Liked that the Newsletter included what the O’Sheeans special was and what the “theme” in the buffet was each night.

Seafood was a little light on, no Lobster, very limited prawns, had a prawn cocktail one meal, it had two prawns in it.

The room stewards must monitor for when you have left the room, and then they quickly clean them as we rarely see them on NCL.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The ship.

a few signs of age, but overall in good nick.

no real problems getting lifts (a real plus for me)

a bit noisy in the buffet, but that may have been because it was full service, so crew had to ask what you wanted etc. and then everyone else had to raise their voice to talk

the problem discussed above re Tsars.

Glad you had no issues with lifts, I tend to use the stairs (especially when on my own) as there is always someone waiting to use the lifts and often they are in a chair, gopher or have a walker or just look elderly.