Panama Canal $$$$$$$

gordylad

2C CABIN OVER 6.5K

15 Days Transcanal/Panama Canal

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Summit
Fort Lauderdale, Cartagena/Colombia, Colon, Panama Canal, Puntarenas/Costa Rica, Puerto Quetzal, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego
1 departure date: Oct 29 2020

Ships have to pay quite a bit to go thru the Canal and, of course, that is passed on to the pax in the form of "port fees".  It's always been that way since we first did a partial PC cruise in 1999.  Now with the new lock, I believe the charge is even greater to go through that lock.  Another factor is the relative few number of cruise ships that do partial and even fewer that do the full transit.  Thus, high demand and low supply leads to high prices.

Edited by BarbinMich

I am going next October and paid 1500 for my Oceanview. The 2C's were about 3k+ at the time which is why I decided to go with the OV and save a bundle.  Right now you can still get an OV with a perk for 2700. It will be quite a wait till the 90 day price drop.

INSIDE$1,449 USD
OCEAN VIEW$2,779 USD
VERANDASOLD OUT
CONCIERGE CLASSSOLD OUT
AQUACLASSSOLD OUT
SUITESSOLD OUT

I believe the OP is stating it is $6.5k for two in a 2C SR. That’s about what we paid in the past. And you may find a bit cheaper on some other Lines, but Panama Canal (full) Transits aren’t inexpensive. We’ve done it twice; once on Princess and once on Celebrity. Both in that price range. A great cruise and well worth it, to me. And yes, OV and Inside are less expensive, but the Canal is one of the itineraries I’d do with a Balcony.....my subjective opinion....but the OV is $1.0kpp cheaper

It’s not a 7N Carribean.

Den

Denny, that makes sense. I just did a TA with a balcony and it was great. However, I paid 1,400 for the 14 night cruise for a Concierge cabin. This Panama Canal cruise has more ports and fewer sea days. In addition I as thinking that being on deck would be better than on the balcony for the one day of Canal transit. For me, I"d rather spend the extra 3k for 2pp on excursions and specialty restaurants. To each his own though.

22 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

Denny, that makes sense. I just did a TA with a balcony and it was great. However, I paid 1,400 for the 14 night cruise for a Concierge cabin. This Panama Canal cruise has more ports and fewer sea days. In addition I as thinking that being on deck would be better than on the balcony for the one day of Canal transit. For me, I"d rather spend the extra 3k for 2pp on excursions and specialty restaurants. To each his own though.

We've done a full transit of the Canal, and you are correct that on the day of the transit, you don't want to be in any one place the entire time. You want to see the locks from all different perspectives on the ship -- high, low, bow, stern, etc.   With that said, it's really hot and humid in the Canal, and it's nice to spend some time on your own balcony and also be able to pop back into the a/c of your cabin for some relief!    Also, there are the other two weeks of the cruise; for me, I like to have a balcony!  YMMV of course.

BTW, the Canal transit we did (which was a fabulous cruise) was on NCL a couple of years ago, and had many of the same ports as the cruise being discussed here.  In case it's of help to anyone, here's the link to my detailed review with  photos: