Tell me about "The Voice of The Ocean"

Scougs

1 minute ago, skynight said:

It's Raining Men and Livin' on a Prayer are on the list. The other songs you mention are not. The songs may not be in your key. The band normally can't change keys like you can with karaoke tracks.

A lot of the winners sing crooner songs. My Way is a big one.

That's great. My Way is my usual go-to song for karaoke.

Also be prepared for instrumentation that is different from the original song since they like to make sure the entire band plays.  Our daughter sang Adele's Make You Feel My Love and the first notes were changed from piano to horns.  Since she is mostly deaf in one ear, she pleaded with the music director that she needed to hear the correct opening notes on the piano and he made that adjustment.  While the horns were unusual in the song, our daughter enjoyed singing with them and the musicians (as we've found on every Princess cruise) were very talented.

I’m excited about this too for our cruise in January. And also just karaoke in general. I want to sing a special song for my wife if they have it. Does anyone know if they have Keith urban “somebody like you?”  Either in karaoke or voice  of the ocean? Or “all of me“ by John Legend? And to rock out I’d like to do “dream on” by Aerosmith. Thanks for help! 

18 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

I’m excited about this too for our cruise in January. And also just karaoke in general. I want to sing a special song for my wife if they have it. Does anyone know if they have Keith urban “somebody like you?”  Either in karaoke or voice  of the ocean? Or “all of me“ by John Legend? And to rock out I’d like to do “dream on” by Aerosmith. Thanks for help! 

None of the above on the Voice list. Maybe in the karaoke library

Edited by skynight

22 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

One thing I noticed in dong karaoke on the ship and VOTS is that their library may not be as broad as what you are used to at home.  Also the VOTS list has about 100 songs for you to choose from.  You may want to have 3 or 4 back up choices if your first selection is not available.  Good luck and let us know how you make out!

46 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Just consider how many hours of pax entertainment is provided without the bothersome that bother of paying anyone professional.

That's an interesting point, but it amounts to about 1 hour per cruise.  You could perhaps add about another two hours for rehearsals with the band.  The band members are professional and are getting paid.

However when I was on Voice of the Ocean, getting paid was the furthest thing from my mind; it was about the experience and having fun.  I'm pretty sure all the other singers felt the same way.  (Yes, I'll admit I am not as good as a professional, the band helps me sound better than I am.)  And the audience really seemed to have a good time as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to this as well in just little more than a week on the Crown!  I have a couple of questions for you experienced Voice performers:

1) Does anyone have the full list of songs that would be done with the band that they can post?  I know the karaoke catalog is rather extensive, but sounds like the live band list would be a lot shorter.

2) I know it's totally about the experience, and not the competition, but I'm curious if it came across more like a popularity contest?  I participated in the Princess Pop Star a few times over the years, and it seemed like there was a lot of "campaigning" going on, particularly if one performer was part of a large group sailing on board.

3) Was there any actual coaching, or mentoring as part of the rehearsal process?  That could certainly be invaluable!

4) Are the qualifying rounds held in the theater, or in Fusion, or elsewhere?

5) How many people make the final show?

6) Do they allow only soloists to participate, or do they allow groups?

7) When was the final competition held? I'm hoping not the last night of the cruise, since that complicates wardrobe choices.

Thanks so much!  🙂

58 minutes ago, Ldyandrea said:

I'm looking forward to this as well in just little more than a week on the Crown!  I have a couple of questions for you experienced Voice performers:

2) I know it's totally about the experience, and not the competition, but I'm curious if it came across more like a popularity contest?  I participated in the Princess Pop Star a few times over the years, and it seemed like there was a lot of "campaigning" going on, particularly if one performer was part of a large group sailing on board.  In my daughter's 'competition' there were a couple of very talented singers from a family of 54(!) sailing on the cruise.  The family was very enthusiastic (and very good singers) but it didn't seem to impact the top three finishers.  Observing the singers in auditions and at rehearsals everyone seemed to be in it for the experience and very supportive of each other and my daughter felt the same way.

3) Was there any actual coaching, or mentoring as part of the rehearsal process?  That could certainly be invaluable! You prepare 2 songs for the first rehearsal and the music director provides guidance on which would be better.  My daughter said they also let people go through the songs a couple of times in the dress rehearsal when you have the entire band backing you up.  The rehearsals were only an hour to an hour and a half long.

4) Are the qualifying rounds held in the theater, or in Fusion, or elsewhere?Tryouts on the Ruby and last week on the Crown were in Club Fusion.  First rehearsal on the Ruby was in Wheelhouse, I don't know where it was held on the Crown last week.

5) How many people make the final show?  I think there were 10 when my daughter participated.

6) Do they allow only soloists to participate, or do they allow groups?  Only soloists.

7) When was the final competition held? I'm hoping not the last night of the cruise, since that complicates wardrobe choices. Last afternoon of the cruise.

Thanks so much!  🙂

We just disembarked the Crown yesterday and our daughter (the singer) wasn't with us, but this is the schedule from postings in the Patter:

• First Auditions:  Our port was Princess Cays (day 2 of the 10 day itinerary), all aboard was at 3:30, tryouts were at 8:15 pm in Club Fusion
  • Second Auditions:  Our port was Dominica (day 5), all aboard was 5:30, tryouts were at 8 pm in Club Fusion
  • Finale:  Last day (sea day) at 3 pm in the Princess Theater

Good luck to you!  I hope you make it and have a fantastic experience!

On 12/4/2018 at 7:52 AM, Scougs said:

I'm going on my first ever ocean-going cruise in January - Panama Canal full transit on the Coral Princess.  I've started reading up about what's on offer on the ship, and The Voice of The Ocean caught my eye.  I'm an amateur singer and love a Karaoke, and really want to enter.  Can anyone tell me about how it all works?  How many people enter the Karaoke tryouts? How many get through to the show? What's the standard like? 

Any info from personal experience greatly appreciated.

Karaoke tryouts during the cruise.  At least 2, they will be clearly marked on your Princess Patter as the audition for The Voice.  The audience selects their favorites and they go through.  Not sure how they pick the others.

On our cruise we had 5 finalists for the final night of the cruise in the Princess Theater.  You perform a shortened version of your song on stage with the live house band.  Audience votes for the winner via electronic voting clickers given to the audience on the way in.

My only advice would be to choose something fun that's in your wheelhouse to get the crowd into whatever you're performing.  Especially if you make it through to the theater.  Too many power ballads for me in the karaoke rounds where folks are just trying to show off their voice.  Show off the voice AND have fun, that's what I voted for.  

Good luck and have fun!

On 12/4/2018 at 4:52 AM, Scougs said:

I'm going on my first ever ocean-going cruise in January - Panama Canal full transit on the Coral Princess.  I've started reading up about what's on offer on the ship, and The Voice of The Ocean caught my eye.  I'm an amateur singer and love a Karaoke, and really want to enter.  Can anyone tell me about how it all works?  How many people enter the Karaoke tryouts? How many get through to the show? What's the standard like? 

Any info from personal experience greatly appreciated.

I can tell you my 17 year old granddaughter won it and the adults that she went up against got upset that they made a   Exception and allowed her to compete.... sore losers I guess

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, I can report I have made it to the live final 🙂

I also can't walk the length of the ship without someone saying hello to "The Scottish Singer", as I now appear to be known. Karaoke is a great way to meet people. 

7 hours ago, Scougs said:

Well everyone, I can report I have made it to the live final 🙂

I also can't walk the length of the ship without someone saying hello to "The Scottish Singer", as I now appear to be known. Karaoke is a great way to meet people. 

Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is searching for this, I thought I would report back with more info/advice.

On my cruise, only ten people entered the Karaoke tryout, so there was just the one - I got the impression they would have added another if more people had signed up on the first night.  They also only selected six for the final, but clearly sometimes there are eight from what I saw later.

When picking a song for the Karaoke tryout, be aware that you only get to sing the first two minutes and then they cut you off. I stupidly picked a song with a long instrumental introduction, and an instrumental break in the first two minutes, so didn't get to sing as much as I could have. Luckily I was still successful.

You have to pick your choice of two songs immediately after the Karaoke try out.  The songs are listed on two sheets of paper.  One of them has songs printed on both sides - which I didn't notice!  I was just so hyper after my name was read out.

For the final, you must wear closed toe shoes.  The only footwear I had with me (I travel very light) was two pairs of plain black sandals, and a pair of hiking shoes.  So yes, I did the final in an evening dress and hiking shoes!  So pack appropriate footwear if this is something you want to do.

The time commitment was minimal, and all on sea days. One sing through (and finalise song selection), plus two rehearsals with full band. This was great - I got such a buzz when the horns kicked in. There were two "mentors" from the ship's professional singers. They were really nice and helpful, gave guidance with the best song choice as well as the delivery.

The format of the final is there are three "coaches" in the chairs.  If more than one turn round you choose your "coach".  The three coaches then pick one singer from their team for the audience vote - we were told to make sure they ended up with two each.  Short video clips were shown of the final three - you only sing your song the once - and then the audience uses hand held devices (one per couple) to vote.

The winner gets a trophy. It's about ten inches high. I had to buy a tote bag from the ship's shop to get mine home 🙂

If anyone is interested, here's a wee clip: 

Edited by Scougs
  • Like 1

So, I had the opportunity to participate in the Voice of the Ocean on the recent 10-day sailing of the Crown Princess (Jan 6-16), and have to say it really was a wonderful experience from beginning to end.  The crew was great, the other contestants were lots of fun to spend time with, and everyone was incredibly supportive throughout the process.  My experience differed a little bit from Scoug's (seen above), but more or less the process was very similar.

There were two nights of qualifying karaoke tryouts, and we selected our songs from the ship's regular karaoke catalog.  It was, unfortunately, quite a bit more limited than it had been on my previous sailings on that ship (they used to have books that were way more extensive in terms of song selection), and they really didn't give you a chance to search much to find what you wanted to sing.  Personally, I found that a bit annoying, since those of us who are karaoke regulars are generally the ones that need some time to delve into a new song catalog and find songs we want to do....however, it wasn't that big of a deal.  They did let us sing the entire song for the qualifying round (no 2 minute cut off, thank goodness, because that does sound really awkward).  Those who tried out the first night were asked to come back for the second night as that was when they'd be announcing the finalists.  The second night, there really weren't more than a couple of additional sign-ups, so some of the rest of us who sang the first night sang again just for fun.

They announced the finalists that evening (I made it), and we all immediately were called over to some side tables to be provided with a list of songs for the finals, as well as a rehearsal schedule and other instructions (see attached PDF).  FYI, while they did require closed-toe shoes for the technical rehearsal, for the final performance, they were not required.

I also took photos of the song list, since they took away the second page of it (which was where we had to put our first and second choice song selections).  I've transcribed it into text, so here's the complete list of songs that they allowed us to choose from for the finals.  Keep in mind that I don't know if this song list differs from other ships, but it sounds like it's pretty standard.  (Note: the arrangements of the songs are such that they are approximately 2 minutes long, which changes the lyrics considerably in terms of order, eliminating a good chunk of the song that you're probably used to.  They were good enough to print out the shortened lyrics for us for use at the first rehearsal.  This helped A LOT.)

Title

Artist

Key

500 Miles

The Proclaimers

E Maj

A Hard Day’s Night

The Beatles

G Maj

Achy Breaky Heart

Billy Ray Cyrus

A/C/D

After the Loving

Engelbert Humberdink

Bb/C/D

Ain’t Too Proud to Beg

The Temptations

C Maj

All of Me

Frank Sinatra

F/Ab/Bb

All Right Now

Free

A Maj

All Shook Up

Elvis Presley

Bb Maj

At Last

Etta James

F Maj

Bailando

Enrique Iglesias

Cm/Em/Gm

Beyond the Sea

Bobby Darin

C Maj

Black Velvet

Alannah Myles

Eb Min

Blue Suede Shoes

Elvis Presley

A Maj

Boot Scootin’ Boogie

Brooks & Dunn

F/G/D

Brown Eyed Girl

Van Morrison

G Maj

Can’t Buy Me Love

The Beatles

C Maj

Can’t Help Falling In Love

Elvis Presley

D Maj

Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You

Frankie & The Four Seasons

E Maj

Celebration

Kool & The Gang

Bb Maj

Close To You

The Carpenters

G Maj

Come Away With Me

Norah Jones

C Maj

Come Fly With Me

Frank Sinatra

Bb Maj

Como la Flor

Selena

G/Bb/D

Could I Have This Dance

Anne Murray

Bb/C/D

Crazy

Patsy Cline

Bb Maj

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Queen

D Maj

Crocodile Rock

Elton John

G Maj

Dancing In The Street

Martha & The Vandellas

E Maj

Dancing Queen

Abba

A Maj

Day Dream Believer

Monkees

Bb/C/G

Delilah

Tom Jones

Eb Min

Despacito

Luis Fonsi

Gm/Bm/Dm

Do You Love Me

The Contours

F Maj

Domino

Van Morrison

A Maj

Don’t Know Why

Norah Jones

Bb Maj

Don’t Stop Believing

Journey

E Maj

Eres Tu

Mocedades

Bb/D/G

Everybody Loves Somebody

Dean Martin

Eb Maj

Fallin

Alicia Keys

E Min

Feliz Navidad

Jose Feliciano

D Maj

Fernando

Abba

A/G/F

Fever

Peggy Lee

A Min

Fields of Gold

Sting

D Maj

Firework

Katy Perry

F/Gb/Ab

Fly Me To The Moon

Frank Sinatra

C Maj

Footloose

Kenny Loggins

Bb Maj

Friends in Low Places

Garth Brooks

A Maj

Gimme Gimme Gimme

Abba

D Min

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Cyndi Lauper

F# Maj

Give Me One Reason

Tracy Chapman

F#/Ab/D

Happy

Pharrell

F Maj

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Lou Rawls

Bb Maj

Haven’t Met You Yet

Michael Buble

Db Maj

Hey Jude

The Beatles

A Maj

Highway To Hell

AC/DC

C/E/G

Hit The Road Jack

Ray Charles

Ab Min

Hot Hot Hot

Arrow

F Maj

Hot Stuff

Donna Summer

G Min

Hound Dog

Elvis Presley

C Maj

I Can See Clearly Now

Jimmy Cliff

D Maj

I Can’t Help Myself (Sugarpie Honey Bunch)

The Four Tops

C Maj

I Fall To Pieces

Patsy Cline

Bb Maj/F Maj

I Feel Good

James Brown

C Maj

I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Gladys and The Pips

Bb Min

I Kissed a Girl

Katy Perry

F#/G/A

I Love Rock ‘n Roll

Joan Jett

E Min

I Shot The Sheriff

Bob Marley

G Min

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

U2

C# Maj

I Want You Back

Jackson 5

Ab Maj

I Will Always Love You

Whitney Houston

A Maj

I Will Survive

Gloria Gaynor

A Min

If I Could Turn Back Time

Cher

B Maj

I’m So Excited

Pointer Sisters

G Min

In The Midnight Hour

Wilson Pickett

E Maj

Isn’t She Lovely

Stevie Wonder

E Maj

It’s My Life

Bon Jovi

A-/C-/D-

It’s Not Unusual

Tom Jones

Bb Maj/C Maj

It’s Now Or Never

Elvis Presley

Eb Maj

It’s Raining Men

The Weather Girls

F Min

I’ve Had The Time Of My Life

Franke and the Knockouts

E Maj

Johnny B. Goode

Chuck Berry

A Maj

Just The Way You Are

Billy Joel

D Maj

Just The Way You Are

Bruno Mars

F Maj

Kiss

Tom Jones

C Maj

La Bamba

Ritchie Valens

C Maj

Ladies Night

Kool & The Gang

C# Min

Lady Marmalade

Patti LaBelle

E-/F-/G-

Let Me Entertain You

Robbie Williams

F Maj

Let’s Dance

David Bowie

Gb Maj

Let’s Twist Again

Chubby Checker

Eb Maj

Living On A Prayer

Bon Jovi

E Min

Livin La Vida Loca

Ricky Martin

Am/C# Min/Em

Locked Out Of Heaven

Bruno Mars

D Min

Look of Love

Nina Simone

G Min

Love Me Tender

Elvis Presley

D Maj

Mack The Knife

Bobby Darin

Bb/C/D

Momma Mia

Abba

D Maj

Mambo #5

Lou Bega

Eb Maj

Man, I Feel Like A Woman

Shania Twain

A/Bb/D

Mandy

Barry Manilow

Bb Maj

Margaritaville

Jimmy Buffet

D Maj

Moondance

Michael Buble

G Min

More Than A Feeling

Boston

Db/Eb/G

Moves Like Jagger

Maroon 5

B Min

Mustang Sally

Wilson Pickett

C Maj

My Girl

The Temptations

Bb Maj

My Guy

Mary Wells

Bb Maj

My Heart Will Go On

Celine Dion

E Maj

My Way

Frank Sinatra

D Maj

Natural Woman

Aretha Franklin

C Maj

Nights in White Satin

The Moody Blues

E Min

No Woman No Cry

Bob Marley

A/C/Eb

Oh What A Night

Frankie & The Four Seasons

F/Ab/Bb

Old Time Rock & Roll

Bob Segar

G Maj

One Love

Bob Marley

G/Bb

Poker Face

Lady Gaga

F-/G-/C-

Pretty Woman

Roy Orbison

A Maj

Proud Mary

Tina Turner

D Maj

Rebel Yell

Billy Idol

B Min

Red Red Wine

UB-40

C Maj

Respect

Aretha Franklin

C Maj

Ring of Fire

Johnny Cash

G Maj

Rock Around The Clock

Bill Haley & His Comets

A Maj

Rolling In The Deep

Adele

C Min

Route 66

Natalie Cole

F Maj

Satisfaction

Rolling Stones

E Maj

Seasons of Love

Rent

Bb Maj

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Big Joe Turner

F Maj

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Stevie Wonder

F Maj

Smooth

Santana

A Min

Somebody to Love

Queen

F/Ab/D

Someone Like You

Adele

F# Min

Son of A Preacher Man

Dusty Springfield

E Maj

Soul Man

Sam and Dave

Eb/G/B

Stairway To Heaven

Led Zeppelin

E-/A-/B-

Stand By Your Man

Tammy Wynette

A Maj

Stayin’ Alive

Bee Gees

D-/E-/F-

Summer of 69

Bryan Adams

D Maj

Summertime

Ella Fitzgerald

C Min

Superstition

Stevie Wonder

Eb Min

Suspicious Minds

Elvis Presley

G Maj

Sway

Michael Buble

D Min

Sweet Caroline

Neil Diamond

B Maj

Sweet Home Alabama

Lynyrd Skynyrd

D Maj

Take A Chance

Abba

B Maj

Tennessee Waltz

Patsy Cline

Bb/Eb/F

That’s Life

Frank Sinatra

G

The Best

Tina Turner

F Maj

The Lady In Red

Chris DeBurgh

Bb Maj

The Rose

Bette Midler

C Maj

These Boots

Nancy Sinatra

E Maj

This Love

Maroon 5

C Min

To Make You Feel My Love

Adele

Bb/D

Treasure

Bruno Mars

Eb Maj

Twist and Shout

The Beatles

D Maj

Unchain My Heart

Joe Cocker

A Min

Unchained Melody

Righteous Brothers

A Maj

Valerie

Amy Winehouse

Db/Eb/F

Volare

Dean Martin

A Maj

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go

Wham!

C Maj

Walking On Sunshine

Katrina and The Waves

Bb Maj

Wanted Dead or Alive

Bon Jovi

D Min

The Way We Were

Barbra Streisand

A Maj

The Way You Look Tonight

Frank Sinatra

Eb Maj

We Are Family

Sister Sledge

Bb Maj

What A Wonderful World

Louis Armstrong

F Maj

Wind Beneath My Wings

Bette Midler

Ab/Bb/C

With Or Without You

U2

D Maj

Wonderful Tonight

Eric Clapton

G Maj

Wonderwall

Oasis

F# Min

Y.M.C.A.

The Village People

G Maj

Yesterday

The Beatles

F Maj

You Are So Beautiful To Me

Joe Cocker

Ab Maj

You Can Leave Your Hat On

Joe Cocker

Ab/Bb/C

You Can’t Hurry Love

The Supremes

Bb Maj

You Raise Me Up

Josh Groban

Eb Maj

You Were Always On My Mind

Willie Nelson

G Maj

You’ll Never Find

Lou Rawls

D Maj

Your Song

Elton John

Eb Maj

You’re The First, The Last, My Everything

Barry White

F Maj

The reason they need you to choose right that first night what you plan to sing is that they then give a list of all of the song selections chosen to the members of the ship's band so that they have time to practice prior to the first rehearsal.  Keep in mind that the ship's band, unlike the special bands that all travel together, are all basically like session musicians.  They rotate out individually at the end of their contracts, and someone new comes in to take their place.

We had to show up to have our photos taken on formal night, which is what they use onscreen during the show.  It's really just a headshot that is used, so whatever you're wearing is really not an issue. (see below - this image was from the Technical Rehearsal, not the actual competition)

20190115_184912_HDR.thumb.jpg.bb4d9a3198a22bbe657189147b675186.jpg

The first two rehearsals were held up in the Adagio Bar (next to Sabatini's) on Deck 16, where the bar was closed and all was quiet during the day.  They had us go through our first choice song, and second choice if we wished.  That one was the one where we really had to get accustomed to the new arrangement of the songs we were to sing, so I'd say that one took the longest....though it really only lasted maybe an hour all together (their were 8 contestant finalists).  In addition to the band, there were also a couple of the show performers there to provide background vocals, and some guidance/coaching if we needed feedback.  The really were very helpful.  The second rehearsal was much the same, but much smoother since by then everyone pretty much had their arrangements down, and after we each sang, we were taken aside by the crew rep who was coordinating, and given information about the technical rehearsal and the final performance the next day.

FYI, I hadn't expected this, but they actually reserved seats for friends/family members we were traveling with in the first two rows of the theater, which was really thoughtful.  I also found out that not only did they fill the primary theater with audience members, but they did a simul-cast of the show in the Explorer's Lounge, and also had it on all of the TV's in the cabins for those who didn't necessarily want to go out that evening.  So, yeah....no pressure!  😄

The Technical rehearsal went really well, and also took about an hour. They did a walk-through of the entire thing, we each did our song, and they helped us understand how the logistics would work with the judges, etc. 

The show itself went smoothly and by the numbers, and they were kind enough to provide some water, champagne, fruit, and chocolate in the "green room" backstage where we each could watch the others as they went up to perform.  The high-fiving was plentiful, and the positivity was mighty. 🖤

Once the show was over, there was an after-party scheduled in the Explorer's Lounge, that the contestants and their friends/family were all invited to.....with more champagne.  Woo hoo!  We even took some pictures of our entire group!  Everyone had a great time!

20190115_222903.thumb.jpg.598b676967a21f8dd15e20129c7760c3.jpg

Hope this provides useful information, and I'd definitely say go ahead and participate if you are so inclined.  It really added a lovely experience to this cruise that I hadn't anticipated. 

I think this is pretty much it, but if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to help.  🙂

Andrea

Voice of the Ocean instructions-schedule.pdf

Edited by Ldyandrea

Yay, there are at least 4 or 5 songs on that list that I have done in karaoke before, so I am definitely trying out.

My last shipboard karaoke was winning Karaoke Idol on the Norwegian Bliss. It was their inaugural transatlantic cruise & they didn't have their full library available, so I couldn't use My Way, which is my go to song. I Left My Heart In San Francisco was my backup.

Edited by tempus137

Congratulations  to Scougs and Ldyandrea!  It seems like you both had a great time.  I was on the "Voice" a couple times before and it was a lot of fun.  I have a cruise on the Star Princess scheduled in September 2019, and I am looking forward to trying out again!

Ldyandrea, thanks for the song list & your detailed account.

It looked like the 2 rehearsals were on port days, 1 at 3PM & the other at 11AM. What happens if you have an excursion booked for the same time? I know if the excursion is through Princess, I figure they would most likely either refund the cost or not charge you in the 1st place. But what if it's a privately booked excursion that you can't cancel?

Can't speak for Ldyandrea, but my rehearsals were all on sea days. Even then, at each of them one contestant had something else on - an Elite status lunch - and they rejigged the running order for that rehearsal to let them be late. 

I would reckon for the middle rehearsal, if it was a port day, and if you had a private excursion, it would be your choice to do the excursion and miss the rehearsal. 

The final run through a couple of hours before the show must be mandatory, as it had a safety briefing and a form to sign to say you'd been briefed before heading backstage. 

This voice show is entertaining,  especially if you watch the initial  try outs. That being said, entertaining.  We have watched this show 7 times. Seems rigged,  the " best singers " don't always win.  A way for Princess to fill the theater on the last evening without paying any performers.  

Recently attended the final performance on Golden Princess.  It was standing room only with people sitting on stairs.  Excellent night of entertainment which I think ran about 15 mins overtime and had people rushing for their dinner reservations.  None of my table mates attended, but I was raving about it.   Great addition to Princess cruises entertainment.