Best way to get to Newark following QM2 cruise?

Folkfan13

Does Cunard have transfers from port to Newark similar to what Princess ships offer?   I've read that taxis are not recommended, since different states are involved, the NJ taxis can not pick up return passengers.     I've also read that the shuttle companies are less then reliable in the NY/NJ area.    What is the best way to get to the airport?     Thanks in advance for any advice.

I always recommend a car service. The leading two are Dial7 (dial7.com, 212-777-7777) and Carmel (carmellimo.com, 212-666-6666) Both also have apps. We always use Dial7 for transportation between piers, airports, and hotels in NY. Very professional and reliable. Because of uncertainty with delays clearing customs, it's usually best to call when ready, rather than reserve in advance, although that can be done. You can check the cost on their site/app.

And yes, Cunard does offer an shuttle bus. For two people, it's significantly more expensive - however, the those booking the shuttle are amongst the first off board (if that's a factor) and it's convenient. Book it while aboard.

The Cunard transfers to EWR may be purchased onboard but cheaper in advance with your booking .

Last time it was $40p/p  onboard but I believe it is a bit more onboard ,now but a great way to spend some OBC .

I believe flight has to be after 1PM although we were at EWR before 10am.

Here is the onboard Brooklyn, NY Transfer Booking Form for QM2's July 1, 2018 arrival.

46179207451_c179c44a61_o.jpg

As you can see, the onboard price for the airport coach transfers was $49 per person. The cost for booking these transfers prior to the voyage was $40 back then and that's also the current price for pre-booking the airport coach transfers. So, if you decide to book the Cunard transfer, I'd suggest doing it ahead of time to save a few dollars unless you would prefer to wait to use onboard credit. Unfortunately, there is nowhere in the voyage personaliser to book the transfers ahead of time, so that does require a call to your travel agent or Cunard.

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks to all on the information.   I hadn't thought about onboard credit, and we actually will have some extra available to use.    So the $49/person (most/all paid by credit) will work out great.      Now if only the transportation options from NWK to Manhattan (we're arriving several days early to experience NY) would work out so well.    That part is still giving me a headache.   🙂

Folkfan13 - For over 20 years, we've done an annual trip to NY and often combine it with cruises - so that's a lot of trips between airports, hotels, and piers through the years.

Again, I recommend Dial7 (or Carmel) for transportation from EWR (Newark) and your Manhattan hotel. In this case, I recommend pre-booking. They will track your flight and give you a number to call. When you've collected your bags, give them a call and they'll tell you what car to look for, which will arrive in minutes. (You can also pay extra to have them meet you in the terminal)

www.dial7.com
www.carmellimo.com

Edited by MarkBearSF

29 minutes ago, Folkfan13 said:

Now if only the transportation options from NWK to Manhattan (we're arriving several days early to experience NY) would work out so well.    That part is still giving me a headache.   🙂

We came off the QM2 on October 25th and took the Cunard bus to Newark.  We were at the airport by 9:20am.  Since our flight was in the evening, we headed into town.  Take the airport skytrain thing to the railway station where there are frequent trains into Penn Station - from memory it's about a 30 minute ride.  We held up the queue at the ticket machine trying to figure out how to buy a train ticket.  Nobody there to help you, of course.  It was going fine until the machine wanted a zip code i.e. to match to the home address of your credit card.  I don't live in the U.S. so I don't have a zip code.  Clearly, New Jersey transit is designed to exclude immigrants and visitors.  After much heartache, the solution:  use a debit card.  It doesn't care where you live.

There is no left luggage at EWR except at United.  We were flying Air Canada - Star Alliance along with United - but the agent was adamant that it was for United only.  We politely (we're Canadian) but steadfastly refused to move.  She finally took our bags.  And didn't want a zip code.

Coincidentally, I was looking at dial7 when MarkBearSF was typing his reply.      The website's estimated base price seamed fair, even with the added "plus tolls, plus tip" but the estimate then added it didn't include "stops, waiting time or state congestion tax, when applicable".    That made the full price estimate a bit vague.    Still, knowing that they will monitor the flight so any flight delays will not be considered "waiting time" probably makes the other not included items not applicable.

49 minutes ago, Folkfan13 said:

The website's estimated base price seamed fair, even with the added "plus tolls, plus tip" but the estimate then added it didn't include "stops, waiting time or state congestion tax, when applicable".    That made the full price estimate a bit vague.

That's basically to protect them from passengers who add extra stops mid-route or who make the driver wait extraordinarily long. (And the "state congestion tax" I think is something that has been discussed for midtown but isn't a factor yet, so they're likely protecting themselves for future bookings) The only time we've paid extra was when we ordered a scheduled pickup at Red Hook and we were delayed more than usual in the customs line. We asked the driver to wait. (After which I was scolded for using a phone in the customs area) He did. And we were fairly charged.

For hotel pickups, they usually arrive about 5-10 minutes early (no charge).

...AND be sure to pick up the code for first-timer discount. (Both companies - typically about $10)

Edited by MarkBearSF

18 hours ago, Folkfan13 said:

Coincidentally, I was looking at dial7 when MarkBearSF was typing his reply.      The website's estimated base price seamed fair, even with the added "plus tolls, plus tip" but the estimate then added it didn't include "stops, waiting time or state congestion tax, when applicable".    That made the full price estimate a bit vague.    Still, knowing that they will monitor the flight so any flight delays will not be considered "waiting time" probably makes the other not included items not applicable.

Folkfan13,

We use Dial 7 in the city for many different reasons and to & from events and always feel well taken care of. 

Very confident in the vehicles and we oriented drivers we always relied on. We do feel that the fee charged was well worth the care we received. Though we have not used it to and from the terminal in Brooklyn, but know others that have used them even from Cape Liberty across from Redhook.

Do your research and pick the service you will feel confident with. Bon Voyage! 

We were on the same bus as fairgarth on October 25 and found it to be very prompt and painless.

Having flown to Heathrow from Newark it was easy to just go downstairs in the first terminal we stopped at and pick up the shuttle to retrieve our car from the parking lot.

We have just returned from a westbound TA. We used one of the many taxis that are parked alongside the ship to Manhattan and then again from our hotel in Manhattan to Newark. The taxi from Manhattan was $61 which was around $30 cheaper than the price given by the hotel.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, Fairgarth said:

It was going fine until the machine wanted a zip code i.e. to match to the home address of your credit card.  I don't live in the U.S. so I don't have a zip code.

Did you try five zeroes, or just switch to a debit card?

• 2 weeks later...

While the Cunard transfer may work well for the OP, my general advice is to use Uber or Lyft.  The price is set in advance; tolls and delays have no impact.  And, unless you're alone, it will be a lot cheaper, and you can leave at any time.

I just checked now, and UberX from Red Hook to Newark airport is $90* - about the same as buying two transfers if one tips the Uber driver.

UberX isn't necessarily a very large car if you have cruise luggage.

*Whether it would be higher or lower at 10 AM on disembarkation day is anyone's guess, but you could check prices this Saturday when QM2 is next there.

6 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I just checked now, and UberX from Red Hook to Newark airport is $90* - about the same as buying two transfers if one tips the Uber driver.

UberX isn't necessarily a very large car if you have cruise luggage.

*Whether it would be higher or lower at 10 AM on disembarkation day is anyone's guess, but you could check prices this Saturday when QM2 is next there.

For me, it's always been a Saturday or Sunday morning and around $60.

We disembarked on Dec. 8, 2018. We carried our luggage ourselves and got off the ship at 8:45 am. We finished custom and walked past the custom at 9:15 am. When we (4 of us) walked out the terminal, an array of taxis were waiting in the taxi area. There is a poster stating the flat fee for a station wagon taxi. To EWR, the flat fee is $90 + $20 toll fee. We arrived at EWR Terminal C level 3 for Air Canada at 10:00 am. But then we had to wait till 10:30 am for check-in. The staff didn’t let us check in earlier. She said check-in started 3 hours before departure time.

If you have more people, the flat rate for a bigger van will $120 + $20 toll.

PS. We used Uber XL to go to the cruise terminal in embarkation day. But on disembarkation day, there was no XL van available. Small car uberX price was $87 (toll included). So, we chose taxi instead.

Edited by CruiseLady88

Like Mark, I recommend the Dial 7 service because of the flexibility of timing (as opposed to the Cunard bus), and their reliable.  However, if you have a lot of OBC, I recognize the cost advantage of the Cunard bus.