Diamond lounges are over capacity and guests are being turned away

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I absolutely agree.  We will be diamond after our cruise next fall and I have absolutely no interest in standing/sitting in a crowded lounge.  I would much rather have drink coupons where I can go where I want or some OBC.  The more I read about the crowded areas, the less interested I am in going to these lounges.  Maybe they could have seats around the pool reserved for D and D+ only?  😋

See my post #121.  Since you have never experienced one of the lounges yet...how do you know if you won't like it?  I always drive a car first before buying it.  😉 

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

See my post #121.  Since you have never experienced one of the lounges yet...how do you know if you won't like it?  I always drive a car first before buying it.  😉 

But I always read reviews first before I go buy the car to drive it...  I would give it up for OBC and a chair by the pool.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

I was hesitant on my first lounge visit but figured I'd give it a shot.  Didn't like it and the people were very unwelcoming and it was crowded.  They looked at me like I had two heads. I was the one who was smiling and saying hi!  We got our cocktail and moved outside.

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Central FL D+ are the worst. 😉

One good thing about Central D+ and other cruisers from that area is that they strongly prefer Early Seating.  As late seating is less popular, the OA DL is much less crowded after they go to dinner.  

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Take away the balcony discount ... oh wait, they are already doing that.

I didn't hear that -- when does that start?  

If they take away the balcony discount, I wonder if you can use the stock for $100 OBC (this doesn't combine combine with C&A discounts). 

1 minute ago, fridaythe13th said:

I was hesitant on my first lounge visit but figured I'd give it a shot.  Didn't like it and the people were very unwelcoming and it was crowded.  They looked at me like I had two heads. I was the one who was smiling and saying hi!  We got our cocktail and moved outside.

So sorry that was your first DL experience! That would not have been the case if DH and I would have seen you! We are very friendly to all in the DL and usually enjoy our experience in there. Unfortunately, there are those times when holier than thou people make an appearance. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the barrel!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fridaythe13th said:

Sorry to hear you experienced that.  That's a shame.  We have always felt welcome in the lounges, and have made many friends.  Once again...that is why you have choices.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

One good thing about Central D+ and other cruisers from that area is that they strongly prefer Early Seating.  As late seating is less popular, the OA DL is much less crowded after they go to dinner.  

Yup, as I always call it "magic hour".  Lots of seats open up just after first seating!  😄 

7 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

So sorry that was your first DL experience! That would not have been the case if DH and I would have seen you! We are very friendly to all in the DL and usually enjoy our experience in there. Unfortunately, there are those times when holier than thou people make an appearance. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the barrel!!

Perfectly stated!  🙂  Bad apples eventually rot and become mulch.  "Sea" you on Oasis in February!  Currently enjoying our time on board. 

Edited by island lady

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sorry to hear you experienced that.  That's a shame.  We have always felt welcome in the lounges, and have made many friends.  Once again...that is why you have choices.  

I can attest to that -- Pat and her husband Bucky have become good friends.  

14 minutes ago, fridaythe13th said:

They looked at me like I had two heads. I was the one who was smiling and saying hi!  We got our cocktail and moved outside.

I feel your pain. We get this reaction every time we enter the DL. It's either the jeans and trainers I always wear or it's my sons wheelchair. 

4 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

I feel your pain. We get this reaction every time we enter the DL. It's either the jeans and trainers I always wear or it's my sons wheelchair. 

OK, I'll say it. That's a pretty cruel statement and I feel like it labels a lot of folks as monsters. The DL does have a dress code during its evening happy hours and asks that members dress in at least smart casual, as if you were dining out at an upscale restaurant, not at a local diner, so that may have been the reason for some of those "looks" you described. I take offense that you might think it was because of your son's wheelchair. Shame on you.

34 minutes ago, island lady said:

I would never buy a car just based on reviews.  

I didn't say that.  I said I would read the reviews before I went to look at the car.  It's called research.  I do it before I book excursions.  I was merely trying to put forward the thought that instead of standing in a lounge waiting for a drink, I would prefer OBC, drinks on my card and another perk.  I was not criticizing the lounge nor its inhabitants.  I have seen others voice similar sentiment.  I don't understand why you are focused on my post.

Edited by jean87510

33 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

I didn't hear that -- when does that start?  

If they take away the balcony discount, I wonder if you can use the stock for $100 OBC (this doesn't combine combine with C&A discounts). 

It's already happening, though in the typical sneaky Royal way.  The way they apply the fake discounts diminishes the balcony discount.  Plus, they sometimes "deem" a price to have an "instant" discount, which of course is not combinable with the balcony discount.  So you have to remove the instant discount to get the balcony discount, which also diminishes the balcony discount.  I'm sure we will see more of these.

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It's already happening, though in the typical sneaky Royal way.  The way they apply the fake discounts diminishes the balcony discount.  Plus, they sometimes "deem" a price to have an "instant" discount, which coincidentally is not combinable with the balcony discount.  So you have to remove the instant discount to get the balcony discount, which also diminishes the balcony discount.  I'm sure we will see more of these.

Thanks.  That has happened but I always have them compute with and without Balcony Discounts.  Guess we have to be pre-active.   

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

This is only going to get worse and worse and in my opinion the special lounges (relating to C&A status) should simply be done away with.  D, D+, and Pinnacles are simply growing in numbers at a rate that it doesn't make sense to create special places for them on the ship.  RCI needs to find another way to reward "Loyal to Royal" cruisers. 

The current situation with the lounges is just going to make it more and more frustrating for folks who finally make D, D+ and Pinnacle. 

Instead of dedicated lounges, improve the cabin discounts, offer better perks, etc...

Dan

I'm 2 cruises way from Diamond. With my luck, the DL will be eliminated as soon as I get there.....which at my current rate of travel will be in 2 years....or next year if I book a JS. Better enjoy it while you have it! :classic_tongue:

Either way, improved cabin discounts and better perks should be offered. At least make the discounts conbinable with whatever "sale" is going on. If you can combine your 30% off beverage package with the BOGO 50% off (or 25% off), maybe more would buy the beverage package which could lessen the crowding in the lounge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

I was actually on my computer in my cabin when I typed that.  The free glass of SB was from one of the three complimentary bottles they delivered to the cabin.  😉 

Yes, we get the complimentary free SB in cabin, they only serve swill PG and Chardonnay in the DL, CL, and John’s pink Koolaid.

jc

• Thanks 1