MSC Comedy of Errors

Stockjock

My girlfriend and I have cruised on MSC once in late 2016.  We did an 11 night out of Rome on Divina and had a great time.  The ship was beautiful, while the itinerary changed, it was still very good.  Only slight gripe was that the (mostly) Eastern European crew was somewhat unfriendly and seemed like they hated their jobs, their lives and their passengers.  But otherwise, it was a generally positive experience.

On that cruise, we visited Cinque Terre, which I really enjoyed.  So I found a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona that stopped in Cinque Terre and booked that for early 2018.  We figured we'd fly to Barcelona, spend some time there, and then do the short 4-night before returning home.  Only MSC changed it from a 4-night out of Barcelona to a 20-night on a totally different date out of Brazil, which didn't work for us on multiple counts.  Surprisingly and perhaps shockingly, MSC never informed me about the change in any way.  I had to see it for myself while looking at the confirmation prior to final payment.  Just glad I hadn't booked flights yet.  So it had to be cancelled due to MSC's drastic schedule change.

Meanwhile, to replace the cancelled Barcelona cruise, I booked another Barcelona cruise for 2019 on Bellissima.  The cabin I booked, 14172, was listed as an inside but showed to be a balcony (see attached).  Tried to get clarification from MSC, but they had no idea.  Their website's deck plan showed my room to be a balcony, so I booked it, assuming that was the case.  Perhaps it was one of those partially obstructed balconies, who knows?

Next, I did a Voyager's Club status match and was concerned that I'd lose what little status I had.  Normally, you have to cruise MSC within 3 years to maintain points and status, but since they cancelled 2018 Barcelona, that put me beyond 3 years.  Called MSC to discuss the concerns.  The MSC guy said, "Don't worry, they won't cancel your status and points.  There's no way.  I've been here 5 years (or whatever it was) and there's no way they'll do that.  We cancelled your cruise and besides you have new bookings pending, so nothing will get cancelled".

They then cancelled my status and took my points to zero.

I then found out that the cabin on Bellissima shown as a balcony on the deck plan, was actually an inside cabin.  I've tried to get some form of upgrade from MSC, and they said they'll try in "late January", only weeks from final payment is due.  I also asked if they could throw in some OBC for the cancelled cruise and other issues.  They didn't reply.

Booked a subsequent cruise out of Miami in late 2019 under their "Drinks on Us" promotion.  The website showed that my cruise on Seaside was eligible, so I booked it.  However, it came up as "mealtime drinks" only.  Called MSC and asked what the deal was.  They said it was included in the "Drinks on Us" promotion, but they only offered "Mealtime Drinks" on that sailing (Huh?).  They offered to allow me to upgrade to "Drinks on Us" at a cost, so I paid a bit more and upgraded the reservation, although I still didn't understand why I had to do that.

A few days ago, I saw that this cruise was eligible for the new "All In" promotion, so I called MSC and asked if it would make sense to move to that.  The agent said, "Yes I think it would,  You'd get more OBC (I think he said $175), a better Wi-Fi package, a better drink package (Easy vs. Drinks on Us) and you won't have to pay gratuities on every drink.  I asked if I could keep the same mid-ship cabin and he said, "Absolutely".  So I told him to do it, as the cost was quite similar.    Next thing you know, they moved my cabin from mid-ship to the front of the ship, changed from a non-adjoining room to an adjoining room, and changed it from a glass balcony to an obstructed steel balcony.  But the drink package still shows as "Drinks on Us".  So all they've done so far is to drastically downgrade my cabin.  Oh, and supposedly now there's no OBC.

Booked a 2020 cruise out of Paris with them and got an e-mail that I could get discounts on tours and such by booking them now.  Tried to do that, as per the e-mail, but nothing is available yet.  Let's hope that they don't change that one to a 20-night out of Brazil!

I won't even go into all of the many, many errors with the website, with cruises disappearing, reappearing, some bookings shown, no bookings shown, unable to login etc.

I like MSC and I love their beautiful ships, but working with these folks has been a real challenge.  I've been communicating with a very nice booking supervisor who seems to want to help, but so far it's been a comedy of errors.

My GF especially loves MSC.  I get pretty frustrated dealing with one issue after another.  Too bad they can't get their act together, they build such beautiful ships.

MSC 14172

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

When you say that you found out that it’s an inside cabin, was it because an agent told you, because of the banner on that screenshot that you provided, or some other way? It looks like a balcony to me even though the little banner right above says inside. 

Sorry to hear about all the snafus and glitches. I almost didn’t sail on MSC again after our first cruise with them in 2016 had so many. But our last cruise on the Meraviglia didn’t have any so I thought that all the website and technical issues had been resolved. I guess we were lucky. 

14 minutes ago, Tapi said:

When you say that you found out that it’s an inside cabin, was it because an agent told you, because of the banner on that screenshot that you provided, or some other way? It looks like a balcony to me even though the little banner right above says inside. 

They later changed the online deck plan and confirmed that the original deck plan shown was inaccurate.

Edited by Stockjock

I will agree it's strange that they changed the itinerary so drastically without notifying you.

As for the inside room that looked like a balcony - I assume you actually booked an inside?  So if that's the case, what's the reason for asking for an upgrade?  By giving you an inside, isn't MSC just giving you what you booked?  

It's interesting that you keep booking cruises with MSC!  Maybe finding a good travel agent familiar with the quirks of MSC might be worth your while?

To say that I feel frustrated and insanely mad on your behalf is an understatement:)

I would probably never book with them again though their prices are pretty awesome. Maybe at least use an online agency/travel consultant instead of MSC website so somebody else would have to solve the unforseen discrepancies.

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Looking at the deck plan those cabins are clearly labeled “Interior” which does mean inside.  Sometimes pictures can be deceiving.  We agree about the bummer of itinerary changes.

Hank

There are many cruise lines that will label a balcony as an oceanview or lower (MSC as an example on the small balconies) or take a cabin with even a full picture window and label it as an interior (Carnival as an example).

I expect them to post deck plans that accurately depict their cabins.  If a possible error or disparity is pointed out, which I did, I expect them to correct the error.  Not ignore the situation for months.  If they screw up, I would like some form of accommodation.

I know there are some who do not share my expectations, and of course that's their right as well.

• Like 1

I get that the deck plan physically looked like that room was a balcony, but I just saw now after reading Hamrag's post that it's labelled as an Interior Fantastica.  I assume that's the cabin and experience you chose when booking.  So when they give you an interior room, isn't that just exactly what you're getting?  Had the room been labelled Balcony.... then maybe there's a real issue.  But you booked interior, you're getting interior ... I don't see the issue there.  To me it seems like what you're trying to do is gain an upgrade based on a small error on their part, but that error was not actually significant, because they did not allow you to choose a room marked as balcony only to do a bait and switch.  

Yes, MSC had put up Meraviglia deck plans for a while that were listed as Bellissima plans.  This even still exists on some country's websites.  You booked a specific interior cabin because it looked like a balcony on the deck plans, it actually was shown as a balcony in the legend so you probably knew it was an error.  Now you find out it really is an interior and want compensation.  I don't think you will get much sympathy.  Unfortunately the MSC stance is to ignore you if they are not going to help.  I do agree the drastic itinerary change which you posted about a while back was unfortunate.

3 hours ago, Até said:

Yes, MSC had put up Meraviglia deck plans for a while that were listed as Bellissima plans.  This even still exists on some country's websites.  You booked a specific interior cabin because it looked like a balcony on the deck plans, it actually was shown as a balcony in the legend so you probably knew it was an error.  Now you find out it really is an interior and want compensation.  I don't think you will get much sympathy.  Unfortunately the MSC stance is to ignore you if they are not going to help.  I do agree the drastic itinerary change which you posted about a while back was unfortunate.

Did you not read the entire post?

And as I wrote, if you'd be fine with a grossly inaccurate deck plan, no information from the cruise line, and keeping an inaccurate deck plan online for months then good for you.  I'm not okay with that.

14 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Did you not read the entire post?

Sure, I read your posts.  I only commented on the deck plans because there is not much I can say about the cumulative issues.  I'm not making excuses for MSC, I've been sailing MSC a year less than you and I know their website is a shambles.  So is the US call center, unfortunately the PVC's have high turnover and often little accurate information/knowledge.  I've had my share of difficulties when booking anything far in advance or when they first put them online for booking.  More than half of my bookings have had itinerary changes.  I think you already knew how quirky the company was, if you were new to CC and MSC I might feel more sympathetic.  While I agree you have had more than the average difficulties you seem to be in pursuit of some special deal, believing obvious errors by MSC and the PVC's are going to come out in your favor (well, the TA itinerary change might have).  Should people have to deal with this crap?  No.  I look forward to a time when this stuff doesn't happen with MSC, but for now I don't have a solution for anyone other than to spend your vacation dollars elsewhere if you feel the overall product is not worthwhile.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:39 PM, Stockjock said:

... I booked another Barcelona cruise for 2019 on Bellissima.  The cabin I booked, 14172, was listed as an inside but showed to be a balcony (see attached).  Tried to get clarification from MSC, but they had no idea.  Their website's deck plan showed my room to be a balcony, so I booked it, assuming that was the case.  Perhaps it was one of those partially obstructed balconies, who knows?

... I then found out that the cabin on Bellissima shown as a balcony on the deck plan, was actually an inside cabin.  I've tried to get some form of upgrade from MSC, and they said they'll try in "late January", only weeks from final payment is due. 

Did you pay balcony cabin price or inside cabin price??

6 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Did you pay balcony cabin price or inside cabin price??

Priced as an interior, but again, deck plan showed it to be a balcony.  As previously mentioned, there are many times where balconies or oceanview cabins are sold at lower category level due to obstruction, location, walkways, etc.

Had I known it was truly an interior, I would have booked a balcony.  However, much better pricing on this cabin, obviously.

For the record, this deck plan remained online for many months after MSC was made aware of the issue.  By the time they corrected and clarified, the price had increased substantially.

85AC6C62-360D-4134-B421-C64954477ED4.png

Edited by Stockjock

Hi Stockjock!

"Only MSC changed it from a 4-night out of Barcelona to a 20-night on a totally different date out of Brazil, which didn't work for us on multiple counts.  Surprisingly and perhaps shockingly, MSC never informed me about the change in any way".

I have to ask: Did they want more money for the change from 4 nights to 20 nights? It sounds like [but I'm sure there is more to it....] if had made your final payment...well...you'd have to fly to Brazil but the cruise would have been the same price? Who would have swallowed that mistake? 

I recognize the deck plan was wrong, but I really don't understand.  You choose the type of room before you choose the actual room, so basically you chose Interior/Fantastica, then went to the deck plan to choose your room.  You then picked this particular room thinking that maybe you scored a great deal getting an obstructed balcony instead.  Turns out, it was wrong and you just had an interior.  I don't really buy that if you'd known it was truly an interior, you would have booked a balcony.  You had the opportunity to select balcony first.  Anyway, I agree that it is annoying they had the wrong deck plan up, but I guess I am of the "s*** happens" mentality in this respect - Bellissima is a brand new ship, it's not an exact copy of Meraviglia, there are bound to be hiccups.  

I booked an interior studio cabin for oct 19 on Bellissima. A few days later I was happy to find out I was actually given a balcony cabin, only to find out that deck plans was different on the various msc country-pages, and also on different site:classic_rolleyes:  Norwegian/German say Balcony, UK/US say inside studio, so anything better than what I booked will be a huge bonus:classic_smile:

But I will def not be angry for not getting what I pay for, just because I thougt I would get more. I dont understand the logic in that. 

7 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi Stockjock!

"Only MSC changed it from a 4-night out of Barcelona to a 20-night on a totally different date out of Brazil, which didn't work for us on multiple counts.  Surprisingly and perhaps shockingly, MSC never informed me about the change in any way".

I have to ask: Did they want more money for the change from 4 nights to 20 nights? It sounds like [but I'm sure there is more to it....] if had made your final payment...well...you'd have to fly to Brazil but the cruise would have been the same price? Who would have swallowed that mistake? 

Good question.  They did not ask for more money.  I assume that if I had shown up, I could have boarded in Brazil, but not 100%.  Still, neither my GF nor I could handle taking almost 1 month off from work, which it would have entailed.  

But there was zero communication from MSC regarding any change to dates, schedule or itinerary.  Frankly, I don't think one hand knew what the other hand was doing at MSC, and that's the same sort of thing I'm running into today, in some instances.  

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

I recognize the deck plan was wrong, but I really don't understand.  You choose the type of room before you choose the actual room, so basically you chose Interior/Fantastica, then went to the deck plan to choose your room.  You then picked this particular room thinking that maybe you scored a great deal getting an obstructed balcony instead.  Turns out, it was wrong and you just had an interior.  I don't really buy that if you'd known it was truly an interior, you would have booked a balcony.  You had the opportunity to select balcony first.  Anyway, I agree that it is annoying they had the wrong deck plan up, but I guess I am of the "s*** happens" mentality in this respect - Bellissima is a brand new ship, it's not an exact copy of Meraviglia, there are bound to be hiccups.  

I priced various rooms.  Just about every category, in fact.  I looked at various decks to see what was available and at what price.  When I saw these balcony cabins offered at an interior price, obviously that is attractive.  

So attractive that I called to discuss with MSC.  They had no clue.

4 hours ago, Magnelasagne said:

I booked an interior studio cabin for oct 19 on Bellissima. A few days later I was happy to find out I was actually given a balcony cabin, only to find out that deck plans was different on the various msc country-pages, and also on different site:classic_rolleyes:  Norwegian/German say Balcony, UK/US say inside studio, so anything better than what I booked will be a huge bonus:classic_smile:

But I will def not be angry for not getting what I pay for, just because I thougt I would get more. I dont understand the logic in that. 

If they present a fully inaccurate deck plan, a wholly incorrect depiction of where my room is, and then have months to clarify or correct the issue but fail to do so, then I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some form of accommodation.  Particularly taken into context with some of the other issues I've mentioned.

If you personally would not ask for any accommodation, then that's your decision.

P.S. I never said I was angry.  Only that there was a "comedy of errors" occurring, and I think many others have expressed a similar sentiment with respect to their dealings with MSC.

Edited by Stockjock

2 minutes ago, kodesthemoose said:

By all means, you can ask for some kind of compensation - but most of us wouldn't fault MSC for not offering it to you.  It's not some kind of false advertising - you booked an interior and are getting an interior.  

I would definitely fault them for not offering some form of compensation, especially taking the aforementioned issues into account as well.

But again, those who simply whistle a happy tune when these problems occur, are well within their rights to feel that way.

Edited by Stockjock

It boggles my mind why anyone would continue to cruise with a line after so many problems! I did one cruise with MSC and had enough problems on that cruise to deter me from ever dealing with them again. A cruise should be problem free and  relaxing and MSC is far from that!!!

• Like 1