How do the libraries get stocked on board ship?

I will use a tablet reader IF I must but I love the feel of a book, the touch of the pages and the smell of the ink. It all enhances the experience. I am a rapid reader and only bring 2 books with me on ship for 7 days and when you see me with the Kindle, you will know they are both finished...so sad. I have left books behind since 1997. 

I have an e-reader too, but they are hard to see the screens in the sun on deck, so I also bring paperback books to read on deck in sun.....ughhh....and those we always leave behind in the libraries as well!!  Some ships have better stocked libraries than others!!

4 minutes ago, buddylover said:

I have an e-reader too, but they are hard to see the screens in the sun on deck ...

Kindle paperwhite works great in the sun.  Not very useful for web browsing, but perfect for reading a book.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

A book on a Kindle or iPad is a real Book. What you have is a preference to read the paper version over the electronic version. Nothing wrong with that preference but I like the electronic versions because I can bring a whole bunch and pick what I am in the mood to read. Also books, I do bring one for the beach but I read a lot, fiction often a book a day and my cruise reads are usually fiction.  I would not have room to pack books with my reading habits.  I did love going to the ships library and see what was there but unfortunately they are not getting restocked. As someone posted they are adding cabins. And have the nerve to call that an enhancement. The QM2 library was outstanding and Holland America had great libraries with the latest New York Times Best Sellers in their own section. I have read the HAL libraries are being emascalated like on other cruise lines. Even with the electonic books we liked reading the electronic books in the library because it was a quiet place. 

I know, agree. But I prefer Real Books. Have collected many over the yrs and still am. My kids, IPad Generation. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 hours ago, buddylover said:

I have an e-reader too, but they are hard to see the screens in the sun on deck, so I also bring paperback books to read on deck in sun.....ughhh....and those we always leave behind in the libraries as well!!  Some ships have better stocked libraries than others!!

My kinder paperwhite is extremely visible in the sun and in the dark as it has dual ability

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Kindle paperwhite works great in the sun.  Not very useful for web browsing, but perfect for reading a book.

Thanks for the tip - my older Nook and Kindle were both paperwhite as well and I was able to read in sunlight.......but I 'upgraded' (LOL) to a tablet (for the other functions) - BIG mistake, can't be read in sunlight!

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks for the tip - but I 'upgraded' to a tablet.....now out of luck in the sunlight!!  Boo hoo!!

11 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Thanks for the tip - my older Nook and Kindle were both paperwhite as well and I was able to read in sunlight.......but I 'upgraded' (LOL) to a tablet (for the other functions) - BIG mistake, can't be read in sunlight!

The font you are using is difficult to read on mobile devices.  It looks okay on a computer but completely different on my iPad and iPhone. It is not a good reading font and also it is too light colored. It is almost invisible  on my mobile devices. 

Edited by Charles4515

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The font you are using is difficult to read on mobile devices.  It looks okay on a computer but completely different on my iPad and iPhone. It is not a good reading font and also it is too light colored. It is almost invisible  on my mobile devices. 

Thanks, will  take it under advisement......but "different strokes for different folks".  I find the font easy to read plus I don't read this on anything other than my computer (never on a mini screen phone and don't have an ipad).....LOL!!  Is this better for you??

22 hours ago, buddylover said:

I have an e-reader too, but they are hard to see the screens in the sun on deck...

Slightly off topic, but I'll share a story about that.. First cruise after I purchased a Playbook to use as an E-reader, we were sitting in the solarium on Indy and I was complaining to my wife that my new tablet wasn't working. Even forcing it to shut down and restart yielded no results. The black casing had gotten quite hot while we were sitting in the sun and I was wondering if the heat had fried it.... My wife looked over, took the tablet out of my hands, rotated it 90 degrees and handed it back to me and to my amazement I could see everything. Turns out when holding it vertically like an ereader, the polarizing screen protector was the same direction as my polarized sunglasses. Thus blocking all the light coming from the tablet, rendering it blank to my eyes.

49 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you don't want to know people are having trouble reading you no problem. It's all good.

I don't believe I ever asked if people were having trouble reading my posts??? I was responding to ONE CC reader who commented (off topic no less) - didn't ask for your snarky response.  So, yes, it is all good for me!

50 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

Slightly off topic, but I'll share a story about that.. First cruise after I purchased a Playbook to use as an E-reader, we were sitting in the solarium on Indy and I was complaining to my wife that my new tablet wasn't working. Even forcing it to shut down and restart yielded no results. The black casing had gotten quite hot while we were sitting in the sun and I was wondering if the heat had fried it.... My wife looked over, took the tablet out of my hands, rotated it 90 degrees and handed it back to me and to my amazement I could see everything. Turns out when holding it vertically like an ereader, the polarizing screen protector was the same direction as my polarized sunglasses. Thus blocking all the light coming from the tablet, rendering it blank to my eyes.

Very interesting, never thought about both the screen protector and sunglasses blocking out the light.....however, my screen does not look blank, it just is so light that it is hard to read.  Have to dig out my old Nook and start using that on my cruises - or of course, just take paperbacks with as well, which is what I have been doing!!

17 minutes ago, buddylover said:

I don't believe I ever asked if people were having trouble reading my posts??? I was responding to ONE CC reader who commented (off topic no less) - didn't ask for your snarky response.  So, yes, it is all good for me!

I didn't think the response was snarky at all.  I took it as a helpful suggestion that others may also be having trouble with the font.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, buddylover said:

Thanks, will  take it under advisement......but "different strokes for different folks".  I find the font easy to read plus I don't read this on anything other than my computer (never on a mini screen phone and don't have an ipad).....LOL!!  Is this better for you??

It is not good. It looks completely different on my mobile devices web browser than on my computers web browser. Barely readable on mobile. Many CC users are on mobile devices and will see it like I do. Since you only read on a computer here is a screenshot of your post as it appears on an iPad so you can see what appears.  Does it look like that on your computer? The use of normal Comic Sans font is considered by many to be an abomination for any text but for some reason the script version of Comic Sans appears on mobile devices with this forum software, not the normal Comic Sans version. 

C8589166-C1F8-4040-BFC7-09D19C8AF01D.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

4 hours ago, buddylover said:

Very interesting, never thought about both the screen protector and sunglasses blocking out the light.....however, my screen does not look blank, it just is so light that it is hard to read.  Have to dig out my old Nook and start using that on my cruises - or of course, just take paperbacks with as well, which is what I have been doing!!

I had to take my glasses off and hold my tablet up to my face to read your post!!!!!

Edited by Tom47

Love your sharing is caring ethos, Virtopia!

I take, read and leave paper books on all my travels, primarily because one of my life's goals and passions is to share and give books to others.  

I have left hundreds of books all over the world in the hope that others might enjoy them in a ship's library, a cafe, a Little Free Library (littlefreelibrary.org), a BookCrossing Zone (bookcrossing.com), etc.

Books are NOT dying.

Edited by Bookish Angel
  • Like 3