BIG REQUEST: Search This Thread & Search This Forum for mobile

The desktop version of the site has the ability to restrict one's search to either the thread you're in (This Topic) or the board you're currently viewing (This Forum.)  Neither of those options are available in the mobile/table versions of the site. Both were available in the old Cruise Critic app and Tapatalk. Not having them is a usability killer since the mobile/tablet search runs across the whole boards.cruisecritic.com site. Without those two options, the mobile & tablet searches are as useless as handles on a snowball.

BTW - They should be configurable by the Invision admin according to the documentation.

• Like 1

Not sure whether to leave this for admin to respond  but thought I would mention this while I remember.  I put forward the idea that you could not search forum/threads on a phone, and this was the reply

As I dont use a phone I couldnt argue - perhaps I should ask what they do  ( on an iPhone) ? 

It was in reference to searching a roll call.

Edited by Aulanis

14 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Not sure whether to leave this for admin to respond  but thought I would mention this while I remember.  I put forward the idea that you could not search forum/threads on a phone, and this was the reply

As I dont use a phone I couldnt argue - perhaps I should ask what they do  ( on an iPhone) ? 

It was in reference to searching a roll call.

Here's an Android phone, sideways search. It's got a full HD screen, although the viewport is smaller. 

You may notice some usability issues with the sideways screen. Mostly that the search dialog is over 5 screens tall. (I only captured enough to show that "This Topic" isn't available. Nor is "This Forum" from a forum index screen.) 

Screenshot_20181206-122256.thumb.png.61463ceba072fa84d5f1baab1da28dc4.png

Screenshot_20181206-122256.thumb.png.61463ceba072fa84d5f1baab1da28dc4.png

Screenshot_20181206-122309.thumb.png.47191c3ec212668e3da822da2d203625.png

Screenshot_20181206-122301.png

It might not be ideal.  But after you click the search icon, click to search topics instead of all content.  The forums menu appears (sideways or not, doesn’t matter) and you can choose what forum to search.    I don’t see the ability to search this topic only but I’ll keep looking around to see if I missed something. 

I agree though that a search this topic button or search this forum button even if it’s the way it appears on desktop would be a better user experience for mobile 

CC78C42B-318D-4C87-86DF-DAA0D7C42F27.png

1 minute ago, CC Help Jenn said:

It might not be ideal.  But after you click the search icon, click to search topics instead of all content.  The forums menu appears (sideways or not, doesn’t matter) and you can choose what forum to search.    I don’t see the ability to search this topic only but I’ll keep looking around to 
see if I missed something. 

I agree though that a search this topic button or search this forum button even if it’s the way it appears on desktop would be a better user experience for mobile 

I tested the Topics search. *IF* the user knows to do the sub-select and choose a forum, they can search for the topic in that particular forum.

You're still out of luck using your phone and trying to search inside a long thread.  If you have a phone handy, try to go to this long thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2347077-twas-the-week-before-christmas-live-from-the-eurodam/

and search for "Poohby Joe's Guide To Cabana Living" as a phrase search.  You have to refine the search to use the exact phrase once the initial results come back. You should wind up with 6 results.  Your first search screen on a desktop looks like this:

image.png.dc10f95df4b176b31096b72536839c83.png

But it's not possible on a phone right now.

9 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I will also say if the app development works out and is released soon this could be a non-issue ?  Fingers Crossed - App Under my Christmas Tree please 🙂

I'm going to be at sea for Christmas doing a "Live From" thread. If Santa could get my present early, say by the 15th, that would make me, like Tiny Tim, say, "God Bless Us Everyone!"

Are you at liberty to say if it's being developed on the TT platform?

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I'm going to be at sea for Christmas doing a "Live From" thread. If Santa could get my present early, say by the 15th, that would make me, like Tiny Tim, say, "God Bless Us Everyone!"

Are you at liberty to say if it's being developed on the TT platform?

That would seem to be best (TT) since that is who we worked with in the past 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

That would seem to be best (TT) since that is who we worked with in the past 🙂

If you need a tester, let me know. I already have a T-shirt from before, so I wouldn't even need any swag as compensation.

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sideways on my S9+

Screenshot_20181206-145358_Chrome.jpg

Thanks. Looks like you cannot do the This Forum or This Topic like you can on the desktop. That's the tablet version of search, I think. 

Just now, POA1 said:

Thanks. Looks like you cannot do the This Forum or This Topic like you can on the desktop. That's the tablet version of search, I think. 

Definitely see a lot more stuff than your phone did.  I have a small tablet somewhere.  Nexus 7 I think.  I need to play with it

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Definitely see a lot more stuff than your phone did.  I have a small tablet somewhere.  Nexus 7 I think.  I need to play with it

It's the same. It's stacked in a single column on my phone. I posted landscape screen shots, but did not post enough to show all the options. The important ones are in the first grouping and that differs from desktop. (You can see the desktop drop down above in a prior post.) 

My wife has a Kindle Fire 8 HD and cannot see the two magic criteria, no matter which screen orientation. 

Edited by POA1