RCCL ends association with Dreamworks

55 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I think I'll miss the Penguins.  We have several formal pics with them.  

Yeah, they fit well with those formal nights.  Penguins...  aka Tuxedos...  Kind of a fun play on the character🙂

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 2

Should RCCL be offering compensation to those that have already booked on the basis of this fairly significant attraction being part of the cruise? 

Offering a refund or re-schedule to UK customers for the May/June 2019 period (where Dreamworks is discontinued, but the 'amplified' programme is not implemented) is not much help since most will already have booked non-refundable flights. I think they are only offering this as they know it will be very hard to take up, and in an attempt to meet their terms and conditions. 

I've raised a complaint with ABTA (abta at abta.com). It might be be helpful if more do the same. 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, TBone2K said:

Dreamworks on the last cruise was the whole reason we took along the boy for whom we do respite care. He has Downe's Syndrome, and absolutely loves the movie characters.

Per one comment, I never found the characters to be intrusive, other than perhaps the crowds around them for picture taking, but the crew always kept that very organized.

DS won't be old enough for all the new "family activities" for a while, but a character breakfast and photo ops would be great.

Ya, I know, we should do DCL if we want that stuff, but I'm boycotting anything directly Disney.

I'm prepared for the coming roast (because, Carnival vs. RCI, I've seen the biting vicious debates enough times in my 2 short years here on CC and I know others have been watching it for decades) but there is Seuss on Carnival. 

Significantly cheaper than Disney (usually - but not always - slightly cheaper than Royal).  Has Seuss breakfast on every cruise and other structured Seuss and non-Seuss family / child programming. 

• Like 1

Got the email as well for our Anthem 2020 cruise.  Doesn't surprise me as it was odd at the time that they didn't include DreamWorks on the new Symphony ship, so figured something was up.  It's a shame though as it was fun seeing the characters around, and the extra shows were great (Aqua and Ice Show).  It added something and may have helped families with kids try Royal vs Disney if that was a factor.  Our kids are getting older so not a huge deal, and when we were on Mariner in the summer, they didn't even question about the characters...but still, it's a shame.  Guess it all comes down to cost as Royal is putting lots of money amping their ships (which is adding wonderful amenities! ) and thus cutting in other areas.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

Just a story.  I haven't sailed with Disney myself, but have two close friends/families that have sailed Disney multiple times.  One of the two families had ONLY sailed Disney (many times) because well, it's the "Top Family Cruise line".  The other family had sailed as a couple on multiple cruise lines before kids, and joined family number 1 a few times on Disney cruises once they had children.

Once family number 1 finally tried other cruise lines, RCI and NCL, they never looked back.  Disney puts out a great product, but it's not the "end all, be all" of cruise lines.

Both families hate the pools on Disney.  They said it's pretty much crazy town.  Too  many kids, not enough parenting.  Plus, there are simply kids, kids everywhere (go figure) and it's just not as relaxing and enjoyable as RCI and NCL.  By the way, the kids agree.  The kids love the kids clubs on RCI and NCL, and all the other fun activities.  Both families now say, if you want Disney go to Disney World.  If you want to cruise, look at other options and don't simply default to DCL because it's the "Top Family Cruise Line"  Don't get me wrong, DCL puts out a great product, but it shouldn't be considered the default cruise line if you are bringing kids.

Dreamworks didn't play into it at all.

Dan

I couldn't agree more.....totally our experience.  People don't get it unless they are avid cruisers of non-Disney cruise lines.  The best part of my DCL cruise was the cabin size.  That's it. Price tag - ridiculous, Pools - saw a poor child nearly drown because he was stuck in the middle of an overcrowded pool packed like sardines, Entertainment - actually better at Disney World, not DCL, Excursions - Castaway Cay was not all it was cracked up to be (Coco Cay, Labadee and the like - way better in my opinion) and the Food - not very good or readily available, with two exceptions (lunch buffet that included amazing crab claws and Remy's specialty restaurant where we dropped some serious cash after "adding on" all the extra perks, but thoroughly enjoyed - caviar, wine course, champagne, you name it).  It's the whole reason we are going back to Royal.

• Like 1

Kind of a bummer, but not that big of a deal.  I've cruised with my son at ages one and two, while he found the characters interesting he didn't have any particular attachment to them.  RCL could make their own characters and little kids would be just as happy.  Now that he is a preschooler the boys are into Lightening McQueen, Paw Patrol, Thomas the Train and the girls are into Disney princesses none of which fall under Dreamworks anyways.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:23 PM, LuCruise said:

Got the email as well for our Anthem 2020 cruise.  Doesn't surprise me as it was odd at the time that they didn't include DreamWorks on the new Symphony ship, so figured something was up.  It's a shame though as it was fun seeing the characters around, and the extra shows were great (Aqua and Ice Show).  It added something and may have helped families with kids try Royal vs Disney if that was a factor.  Our kids are getting older so not a huge deal, and when we were on Mariner in the summer, they didn't even question about the characters...but still, it's a shame.  Guess it all comes down to cost as Royal is putting lots of money amping their ships (which is adding wonderful amenities! ) and thus cutting in other areas.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:37 AM, Coralc said:

On the other hand, we really don't have any interest in the Cocoa Cay upgrades. 

We do, Coco Cay one of our faves!  Can't wait until next September Symphony.  Saving our pennies nickles and dimes so we can do the ultimate.  Even though we loved the isolated environment, hopefully the same critters and snorkeling will be available and so much more.  It will make flying to Florida that much more appealing.

Of course we have never had an interest in dreamworks, kids have been gone since way before our cruising days.  But I suspect the new programs will be just as popular...with kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very disappointed with the response I received when I heard RCCL will not be renewing contract with Dreamworks. We sailed on Disney with our grandchildren in 2016 and 2015. In 2017 we sailed on the Allure with our grandchildren ages 5, 5, 3 and 2  and they loved the Dreamworks characters. We booked again for 2019 and when I wrote to express my disappointment RCCL offered no substitution for the Dreamworks characters. There response was your children will still be able to ride on the Carousel and take part in Adventure Ocean (well duh that was there already). What I really thought was ridiculous was there comment that they can do rock climbing and flow rider. Did they not notice that these little ones who loved the Dreamworks characters will be 6, 6, 4 and 3 for the Allure 2019 sailing. We will be going back to Disney next year.