Still trying to figure out new boards

25 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

How can I tell if I've read and/or commented on a thread?

If it has a blue star on the left of the title, you’ve read it and commented. Click on the star and it takes you to the newest comment. 

If the thread title is pale blue, you have read or commented on it but there’s nothing new. 

The solid blue ball on the left means new material but not necessarily that you’ve read the post. 

The blue ball I’m a little hazy on, so I’ve edited my comments. 

Edited by jagsfan
Made some changes

Blue Star means you have read and commented on the thread. If it is bright, it means there are one or more other comments since your last comment.

Blue Ball means you have not commented on this thread. 

If you click on the star or the ball it will takes you to the first comment that is new since you last looked at the thread.

Still really dislike the new version.

On the old version (at least on my computer), once I'd read a thread at least once, it turned red. Now sometimes it's pale blue, but never for long. I click on a bright blue thread and I've already read it.:classic_sad:

Also, how do I get the stupid black bar that says "you have XXX notifications". Don't care, don't want to know.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Still really dislike the new version.

On the old version (at least on my computer), once I'd read a thread at least once, it turned red. Now sometimes it's pale blue, but never for long. I click on a bright blue thread and I've already read it.:classic_sad:

Also, how do I get the stupid black bar that says "you have XXX notifications". Don't care, don't want to know.

Are you asking how to NOT get the black bar notification?

If so, click on the down arrow next to your username in upper right.  Click on "Account Settings"  Then click on "Notification Settings"

Scroll down to bottom of page and opt out of the notifications:

image.png

23 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Really, the new CC is  OK once you get use to it.  :classic_wink:

It does get easier....but I am starting to think that it is about time to find some new software and change things up again.  No need to let things get stale. :classic_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Are you asking how to NOT get the black bar notification?

If so, click on the down arrow next to your username in upper right.  Click on "Account Settings"  Then click on "Notification Settings"

Scroll down to bottom of page and opt out of the notifications:

image.png

I actually already did that and it changed back. I didn't get notifications for a couple of days and yesterday they were back.

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I actually already did that and it changed back. I didn't get notifications for a couple of days and yesterday they were back.

Did you click the "save" button at the bottom when you made the changes?

I think there are still a lot of "tweaks" going on here and some settings get defaulted back to whatever the default is when they implement them.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You should be able to go into your browser settings and turn off notifications for the site, or any other for that matter. Then it does not matter what the site does. Your browser won't show the notifications.  Just do an internet search for disable notifications + whatever browser you use. 

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes, I clicked save. Just did it again and still get the black bar with notifications. Guess I'll have to live with it.

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

You should be able to go into your browser settings and turn off notifications for the site, or any other for that matter. Then it does not matter what the site does. Your browser won't show the notifications.  Just do an internet search for disable notifications + whatever browser you use. 

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes, I clicked save. Just did it again and still get the black bar with notifications. Guess I'll have to live with it.

If you go to settings and see this

image.png.982ddd8a3c883ad5f82f29e60dd3a063.png

You get the notice of a post from the browser at the bottom of the page.

Otherwise one of your settings has notifications turned on

18 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Otherwise one of your settings has notifications turned on

That's handy. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

I don't see that.  I see this 

image.thumb.png.b34796db4f4baeece0759b89c2df44b3.png

and I get the black bar notification when someone quotes/posts on a thread I've posted on.

22 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I don't see that.  I see this 

image.thumb.png.b34796db4f4baeece0759b89c2df44b3.png

and I get the black bar notification when someone quotes/posts on a thread I've posted on.

Are you getting notifications for all threads or some threads?

If it is some threads you need to check those threads and make sure no notifications is checked otherwise not sure where it is coming from.

image.png.18ea01b6645515a8352c508433a9e228.png

1 hour ago, AlanF65 said:

Are you getting notifications for all threads or some threads?

If it is some threads you need to check those threads and make sure no notifications is checked otherwise not sure where it is coming from.

image.png.18ea01b6645515a8352c508433a9e228.png

I have "Do not send me any notifications" checked.  Nothing else.

It doesn't really bother me.  If I don't react to it, it goes away and doesn't return.  The thing that bugs me is when I have the indicator on the little bell (upper right) telling me I have an alert at the same time.  If I don't actually click on the bell and go to the specific post that alert doesn't go away.  For example, if I go to a thread that someone quoted me (that now shows an alert on the bell icon) and read the thread/post, the alert remains until I actually click on the bell and go to that post via that route.

Edited by Shmoo here