Harmony vs Symphony - Need Advice on which to choose

cdoobiest

I was going to book Symphony for Feb 2020 for Massachusetts school vacation for all of us but noticed Harmony quite a bit cheaper.  Same cruise plan.  Western Caribbean to Cococay, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  Went through threads and just want to make sure I have everything before we make a change.

- Harmony departs Sun-Sun vs Symphony Sat-Sat

- Harmony departs Port Canaveral vs Miami - I am guessing we would fly into Fort Lauderdale so would need shuttle also.  I think non factor also

- Harmony has Grease, Symphony has Hairspray

- Harmony only has Dreamworks - our kids have experienced this already on Oasis and older now.  Non factor

- Symphony has Laser Tag, New seafood restaurant and Sports bar.  

I have 3 different families going and price difference is almost $800-1000 per room cheaper on Harmony for ocean balconies.  Children aged 10-13.  We are flying out of Boston and I am guessing Orlando may be cheaper to fly to since more options for us.  I know we would have to rent car or take shuttle to cruise terminal about 40 min away so there is that extra added cost but I think we would have to fly to Ft Lauderdale anyways if we choose Symphony since Miami has limited non stop options.  Lastly, big thing is coming back Sunday which may not be ideal for school kids starting back to school Monday but I am sure we can get early flight to get home.  

Am I missing anything?  I think for $800-1000 price difference, Harmony would be better choice even if coming back Sunday.  Other pros are potential cheaper airfare from Orlando vs FLL/MIA.  The big things for the kids are water slides likely and pool area.  We do not do specialty restaurants and meet every night for main dining room.  We were on Oasis 2 years ago and loved it.  So looking for same experience plus water slides.  Also enjoyed the aqua and night time shows.  Kids have seen Dreamworks, but a big deal now that they are older.  Thoughts and comments appreciated!!! 

Edited by cdoobiest
Added information

I can only tell you that, faced with a similar choice on another cruise line, I chose the departure from Port Canaveral based on price. It happens that Allegiant flies from my hometown airport to Orlando/Sanford; although SFB is farther from the port than is MCO, if renting a car the difference doesn't matter much.

In general, I think that it makes more sense to choose by itinerary (same in this case) and price than by the ship's amenities, although I would give activities and amenities more weight if there were a lot of sea days.

I'd pick Harmony as it is almost $3000 cheaper, has cheaper flights to MCO and the kids have a decompress day before heading back to school. Since you'll be using the MDR, about the only thing the extra 3 grand will buy you is Laser Tag and a slightly newer ship.

Plus - not that this will be a make-or-break consideration - MCO has the most convenient airport car rental ever. We flew in on Jet Blue and the Hertz car lot is literally right outside the terminal. No shuttle bus to flag down or airport tram-thingies to take us to the fringes of the airport.  We were on our way in no time and it is a straight and easy drive. The Hertz drop-off is at a hotel but within view of the ship. The courtesy shuttle had us at the port in less than 5 minutes.  On the return, the courtesy shuttle was waiting for us. Less than $40 each way but I had a pretty hefty corporate discount and with only 2 of us, we had a compact car. Obviously, you'll need something bigger.  

The only downside was the incredibly long line that snaked thru the parking garage to board the ship @ 12:00 noon. Took almost 2 hours but was told later it was due to the semi-annual Coast Guard inspection. 

I've frequently been able to get good airfares on American non-stop between Boston and Miami, under $200 each way. JetBlue, Delta and Southwest to Orlando tend to be over $250 each way. There are exceptions of course but that is what I've generally encountered. Also you are talking over a year out, so impossible to know what airfares will look like then.

We were faced with same options.  This is a very expensive week.  We chose harmony because of the price difference.  Our children are older - Feb 2020  will be our last Feb vacation with our children - our youngest will be a senior in high school (although our oldest is a teacher in MA so we may end up vacationing that week with her).  I have been on Symphony and will be on Harmony this February too - I am expecting the ships to be very similar.  So same itinerary and class of ship I would choose the lease expensive option.  

We have sailed all Oasis class ships recently including Symphony.   Yes Symphony has some new restaurants and a much nicer solarium,  but if you have not sailed Harmony then IMHO you should save $ and go with Harmony.    Let me know if you have any questions regarding specific differences. 

Edited by racerxspeedy

Both great ships.   Amenities almost identical.   One day either way for embarkation is really no difference.    If you fly to Ft. Lauderdale, you'd Uber to Miami, not a big deal, but a few extra bucks.    All things considered, I'd recco Harmony.    She's a great ship and you'll have a great time.   And you can start planning your next cruise with the money you save. 

Edited by zdad59

I would do Harmony:

1.  Price

2.  I like Sunday departures, while my wife prefers Saturday's.  Since I do the planning, booking etc.  my vote counts more.  :classic_biggrin:

3.  Except for the Solarioum and the Broadway shows, the ships are almost identical.

1 hour ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Which week is that? I'm contemplating Harmony for February 2020 as well, but I don't want to pick a really busy SpringBreak week 🙂

In general "spring break" is a March event.     We (all adults in our gang) sail in February every year now.    Usually 2nd or 3rd week of the month.    Never too busy with younglings.    There's always going to be a state or bunch of schools on a winter break.   Can't avoid it.   But we've never found February to be a bad month to sail.