Honeymoon advice : Symphony of the seas or Norwegian bliss

hellahappy

Hi everyone, 

for my honeymoon in the beginning of 2020 I'm considering offering my future wife and I a cruise in the caribbean (we live in Paris), and book a suite to have the best experience possible. 

I'm a huge fan of the oasis class ship, that's why I was considering Symphony of the seas, but i'm a bit disappointed with the itineraries and I don't understand why RCCL don't offer more than 7 days cruise for this class of ships... That's why I looked around and I have found that Norwegian Bliss can offer 12 to 14 days cruise from NYC to the caribbean and the itinerary is truly awesome. So at first my choice will go with NCL for the itinerary. But since i've never sailed on NCL i'm hesitating, and it is so much more expansive...But hey, it's my honeymoon, so I can make an effort that I wouldn't even consider otherwise... That's why I need your advice, on specific points about NCL and Norwegian Bliss : 

- Is The Haven really worth spending that much money ? Because the perks on the oasis class ship are nice for so much less money (even when comparing to 7 days NCL cruise) 

- NCL seems to charge for much more than RCCL (most RCCL onboard activities are complementary), so how those of you who cruise on Norwegian Bliss felt about that ? 

- since they are no formal night on NCL, can we still find places (restaurants, bars..) where the atmosphere is a little more formal than casual, because it's the honeymoon and I still want us to dress up some nights...

So yeah... for those of you who had sailed on both lines and/or ships, which one do you prefer and why ? 

Thank you so much ! 

The reality of the situation is that 7 day cruises are the bread and butter of the cruise industry, since most people can only take a week off at a time. Keep in mind that the cruise from NYC will include a couple of cold days, especially in January/February as the ship heads south.

I've sailed NCL (but an older ship) and the reality, people were casual most of the time. While you are welcome to dress up if you choose, you might find yourself in the minority. That's one of the reasons people like NCL. But, I understand their suite perks are some of the best. 

Here's what we did for our honeymoon. We spent a few days at Disney World, then went on a 7 day cruise. Might be something worth looking into as another option.

37 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Here's what we did for our honeymoon. We spent a few days at Disney World, then went on a 7 day cruise. Might be something worth looking into as another option.

thank you for your response! and this is definitely a good thing to consider - taking a week prior or after the cruise in florida - since we live in Europe!

12 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

You could always consider a back to back cruise. RC Oasis class ships often offer one week eastern and one week western Caribbean. 

Yes actually it never crossed my mind, but it could be a good idea, and still be a little less cheaper than the 14 days  NCL cruise (although the NCL itinerary is better). thank you ! 

4 hours ago, champagne123 said:

Have you checked out Celebrity?  Great itineraries (southern caribbean)...Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao..(ABC Islands).  Longer cruises, better service, food, atmosphere and entertainment.  (my opinion).  Just another option for a romantic honeymoon.  

I've never even though about Celebrity...good reminder thanks 

I sailed only once on Celebrity, a long time ago, I was a teenager and I remember getting bored because the crowd was older than the family cruise I did with RCCL, but I think that being older now myself, it could be a nice romantic option.

If you are liking the idea of the Haven on NCL, you should look into sailing MSC in the Yacht Club.  I could never aspire to it, but from what I read on the MSC board here it blows the Haven out of the water at a much lower cost.  Divina, Seaside and Meraviglia will be sailing from Miami and on Divina you could get an 11 day cruise to the southern Caribbean with a call at Colon, Panama where you could take a tour to see the Panama Canal.  EM

if you don't need the activities or great entertainment, but do want better food and formal nights - consider Princess (Regal, Royal, Majestic), and try to pick the Southern itinerary (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao)....

We sail with RCI for all the entertainment and activities (but not food), Princess for food, class and relaxation, and so far sailing on Norwegian didn't impress us much in either department, but we are giving it another try next week.