Konigsdam 11-day Southern Caribbean - My View

Crew News

Thanks for all the updates throughout your cruise.  We’re at the Hard Rock on the top floor and saw you coming in this AM.  Just about ready to leave for the port for our Christmas cruise on “K”.  Have a safe trip back to ABQ.  

Disembarkation Day had more chaos than usual.  When I arrived near the Deck 2 gangway, I saw every chair filled, long lines, and passengers just milling about.  I learned that with seven ships in port, there was a shortage of Customs Agents so the flow of passengers was halted.  There was an empty chair in the Billboard Lounge and I grabbed it.  The end of the boarding line was in my clear view and I was ready to join the queue.  Another announcement from the Cruise Director notified us that the Port Authority did not like the positioning of the gangway  due to the high winds and it had to be adjusted,

Forty five minutes after my scheduled disembarkation time (next to the last group), there were still a number of groups yet to be called as well as those who needed assistance gathered in the Ocean Bar.  Coincidentally, the same female officer who denied me access to the Mariner medal ceremony popped into the Billboard and announced they would be starting to disembark again.  Two groups were called and then she announced that it was taking too long and all gathered should just leave the ship.  Having just stood up and then standing near the rope line, I was the fourth person down the gangway and into the luggage area.

Being used to one of the last off the ship, I faced hundreds of luggage pieces from several categories (black) other than mine.  My luggage color area was soon filled with scooters, walkers, and others all searching the same disembarkation category.  My two small pieces of luggage were hidden among the much taller "closet" cases and it took several strolls up and down the rows to locate them.....not together of course.

I opted for the Global Entry line even though the other lines were shorter (five passengers each).  My phone was properly prepared with all of the required images, declarations, and answered questions as my small group approached the Customs booth.  The agent didn't want to see the phone that I had carefully prepared but just the passports.

Passenger seeking taxis (me) and those awaiting pickup were in the island across from the terminal.  The line furthest from the terminal was for taxis and on foot away was the line for pickups.  The lines appeared to be co-mingled making it necessary to ask a number of those ahead of me in which line were they waiting.  Despite many folks on the island, I discovered that I was the only one needing a taxi and maneuvered my way to the front of the taxi line.

My taxi driver asked if I was the last one from the terminal since it was nearly 10:30 AM and much to his surprise, I told him that disembarkation was delayed and there were hundreds behind me.

The lobby of the Embassy Suites was overflowing with check outs and those heading for the Konigsdam, Prinsendam, and Veendam.  I thought that a Friday would be quiet!!!   Now quietly in my room, it is time to reflect on my cruise, repack luggage for flying home, and try to figure out how to remove the case from my new GoPro camera.

Overall, the cruise was enjoyable (any HAL day at sea is a good day) with the chance to connect CC names to faces, meet some very interesting people non-CC members, share military experiences with other vets, get answers to lots of questions, update my menu collection, eat a President's Cut steak in the PG, explore the future of HAL ships, really enjoy movies under the stars, sampling the NY Deli offerings, and experiencing the best Lido Market in the fleet.

To those who have followed this thread, I hope I have provided information, no matter how trivial, answered all of the questions posed in this thread and via emails, and given my impressions so that those boarding soon will have a jump start on their Konigsdam adventure.

More later. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Imzdo1 said:

Suppose to leave between 4 and 5....,7:35 and still tied up at dock.  No announcement or any info as to when we will depart for our Christmas cruise on Koni gsdam.  Boy was Roger right about management. 

Any word about the cause for your delay?

Winds are very high in Fort Lauderdale and whistling through the Embassy Suites Hotel lobby.

2 hours ago, Imzdo1 said:

Suppose to leave between 4 and 5....,7:35 and still tied up at dock.  No announcement or any info as to when we will depart for our Christmas cruise on Koni gsdam.  Boy was Roger right about management. 

Waiting for required stores that were delayed getting delivered by road and did not arrive on the dock until 1930. She's got a sea day tomorrow so that delay can be made up :classic_dry:

On 12/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, nfc said:

If you have time can you check out the Retreat area to see if any changes were made?

Hopefully , they made the cabana's a little larger.

The cabanas are not larger but they have gotten rid of some of the dining tables and added some extra loungers.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:10 AM, EMc&DrS said:

Thanks for all the great information.  We'll be onboard for the New Year's Eve cruise, and it will be our first on HAL. I see you are in Half Moon Cay today along with Nieuw Statendam.  We will be there on the 29th, and both ships will be there together again.

You implied that you'll probably be staying on board today, but if you go ashore, I'd be curious to know if HMC is over crowded with both ships being there at the same time.

The Prinsendam was at Half Moon Cay with us and they left ahead of us.  We did not see the Nieuw Statendam at Half Moon Cay but we had a really really up-close-and-personal meeting with them later that day.  It almost seemed like we were on a collision course but it was just a greeting to say “Hi”.  

Disembarkation was very quick between 8:30 and 9:00 am.  I went through Global Entry and my sister was not long behind me (maybe 10 mins) in the regular line.

There was a car fire at the airport so it was ridiculously crazier than usual there.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:01 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Waiting for required stores that were delayed getting delivered by road and did not arrive on the dock until 1930. She's got a sea day tomorrow so that delay can be made up :classic_dry:

They could have made an announcement.  As opposed to keeping us all in the dark. It’s called customer service.   9am in room breakfast arrived at 10am.....cold.  That was after I called. I’m in a Neptune suite for christ sake. Response:   We’ll try to do better.   

44 minutes ago, Imzdo1 said:

They could have made an announcement.  As opposed to keeping us all in the dark. It’s called customer service.   9am in room breakfast arrived at 10am.....cold.  That was after I called. I’m in a Neptune suite for christ sake. Response:   We’ll try to do better.   

You should have gone to Club Orange :classic_biggrin: No waiting there !

3 hours ago, Imzdo1 said:

Not to excuse the cold breakfast but it is a long way from the kitchen to the Deck 7 Neptune Suites and who knows how many stops were made until your room.  Room Service on a Sea Day is swamped. 

FWIW there is a single cook for all of Room Service (check it out if they do a kitchen tour) but there is a supervisor who oversees the tray assembly and the logistics to get it to your room.  Ask your Room Steward for a Comment Card, write your comment, and drop it off at the Front Deak.

Hot food from Room Service is the norm for those in the aft staterooms as it is a short elevator ride up.  If you are in one of the aft Neptune Suites, cold food is unforgiveable.

If Weiner Schnitzel is on the MDR menu, it is delicious but needs some mushroom gravy to make it as good as any I had during my years in Germany (never hurts to ask).

If you get a chance to stop by the Exporations Cafe, tell Paula that Roger says "hello".  I stopped there every night for a chocolate ship cookie and two Diet Cokes for the movie.

FWIW I gained one pound during my 11-day cruise with all of the walking from the aft to the Crows Nest.

How was the tree lighting ceremony?

Enjoy all that the ship has to offer. 

3 hours ago, Imzdo1 said:

Tell the captain you expected a "we're waiting for late arriving stores" p/a announcement oh, and have a great cruise! :classic_smile:

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

Not to excuse the cold breakfast but it is a long way from the kitchen to the Deck 7 Neptune Suites and who knows how many stops were made until your room.  Room Service on a Sea Day is swamped. 

FWIW there is a single cook for all of Room Service (check it out if they do a kitchen tour) but there is a supervisor who oversees the tray assembly and the logistics to get it to your room.  Ask your Room Steward for a Comment Card, write your comment, and drop it off at the Front Deak.

Hot food from Room Service is the norm for those in the aft staterooms as it is a short elevator ride up.  If you are in one of the aft Neptune Suites, cold food is unforgiveable.

If Weiner Schnitzel is on the MDR menu, it is delicious but needs some mushroom gravy to make it as good as any I had during my years in Germany (never hurts to ask).

If you get a chance to stop by the Exporations Cafe, tell Paula that Roger says "hello".  I stopped there every night for a chocolate ship cookie and two Diet Cokes for the movie.

FWIW I gained one pound during my 11-day cruise with all of the walking from the aft to the Crows Nest.

How was the tree lighting ceremony?

Enjoy all that the ship has to offer. 

Having a good time in spite of a rocky start.  Beautiful ship, loving our deck 4 aft wrap suite. Going for a latte tomorrow...will say Hi.  BTW, Neptune’s do have the night light. 

2 hours ago, Imzdo1 said:

Having a good time in spite of a rocky start.  Beautiful ship, loving our deck 4 aft wrap suite. Going for a latte tomorrow...will say Hi.  BTW, Neptune’s do have the night light. 

Good to hear things are better.  Feel free to use this thread to keep us updated one your impressions of your cruise.

Thanks Crew News!

It seems from looking at the new menus, that the Lido Lunch has actually LESS choices than before, with especially the Distant Lands Asia lacking in choice... I do not see sushi mentioned anymore, and gone are the great Country  themed Asian lunches, soups. Now only 2 choices of warm dishes 😠, no more soup,...and this for the most popular station of the Lido Market...have they gone mad in Seattle?! 

I did see Country-themed Asian Station for Lido Dinner though, most probably done to entice guests to eat at the Lido iso. MDR. (Cost cutting)

MDR choices are actually LESS than we had on our recent Asian Westerdam cruise, where the Regionally Inspired dishes were seperate from the other choices, in ADDITION.

I also notice more comfort , read cheap diner, food on these menus. And this while HAL has significantly increased the fares over the last 2 years. Again, what are they thinking at HAL?!

We are introducing HAL and Koningsdam to my parents in a few months, and they are Celebrity devotees. We hoped to convince them to choose HAL from now on for their future travel, but if the menus are like this, they will NOT be happy campers.

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

Good to hear things are better.  Feel free to use this thread to keep us updated one your impressions of your cruise.

7 hours ago, Despegue said:

Thanks Crew News!

It seems from looking at the new menus, that the Lido Lunch has actually LESS choices than before, with especially the Distant Lands Asia lacking in choice... I do not see sushi mentioned anymore, and gone are the great Country  themed Asian lunches, soups. Now only 2 choices of warm dishes 😠, no more soup,...and this for the most popular station of the Lido Market...have they gone mad in Seattle?! 

I did see Country-themed Asian Station for Lido Dinner though, most probably done to entice guests to eat at the Lido iso. MDR. (Cost cutting)

MDR choices are actually LESS than we had on our recent Asian Westerdam cruise, where the Regionally Inspired dishes were seperate from the other choices, in ADDITION.

I also notice more comfort , read cheap diner, food on these menus. And this while HAL has significantly increased the fares over the last 2 years. Again, what are they thinking at HAL?!

We are introducing HAL and Koningsdam to my parents in a few months, and they are Celebrity devotees. We hoped to convince them to choose HAL from now on for their future travel, but if the menus are like this, they will NOT be happy campers.

Santoush says hi.  Helen says hi. San Juan today and then St Thomas tomorrow. Life is hard on the ship. 

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

For those sailing on the 11-day Caribbean cruises on the Konigsdam and others interested in menus, I have uploaded When & Where, MDR and Lido Market menus, beverage menus, Konigsdam Table maps, and latest Specialty Restaurant menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Thanks for providing the updated menus.  We are disappointed with the new Tamarind menu and most likely will not be dining there on our upcoming cruise.

8 hours ago, Despegue said:

Thanks Crew News!

I don't remember seeing sushi in the Lido Market either and usually five entrees at the Asian Station.  I think the Lido Market menus are provided by HAL but the ship can alter/add to  them.  It did seem like there were more offerings in the Lido Market than were on the menu with at least two soups each day.  Fish and chips were available every day it seems with the fish cooked perfectly for me.

The NY Deli & Pizza is a good choice for lunch/snacks.  OK, it is NY-like but still good and can be styled to your wishes.  Everything is supposed to take 20-30 minutes but longest I have waited was ten minutes.  It is a good breakfast if you like bagels.  FWIW take the Deck 10 elevator to Deck 10 (stops across from Club HAL) and avoid walking up the circular staircase.

There is definitely no lack of food options.