Summit to Bermuda 2020

Crickie

I have just learned that the Summit will no longer do Bermuda cruises from Bayonne in August and September of 2020.  I was also told that X is not going to put another ship in its place to take over the late summer Bermuda runs.  SHAMEFUL!  The last sailing to Bermuda was like a "reunion" cruise  -- the same people would go every year, and now they leave us high and dry.  Thanks LLP, for NOTHING! 

Edited by Crickie
typo

41 minutes ago, Crickie said:

I have just learned that the Summit will no longer do Bermuda cruises from Bayonne in August and September of 2020.  I was also told that X is not going to put another ship in its place to take over the late summer Bermuda runs.  SHAMEFUL!  The last sailing to Bermuda was like a "reunion" cruise  -- the same people would go every year, and now they leave us high and dry.  Thanks LLP, for NOTHING! 

Where did you learn this.

11 minutes ago, fumita said:

If they were making enough money they would keep the ship there.  Nothing "Shameful" about being fiscally sound.

... or other itineraries where the ship is required in 2020.

bon voyage

I learned this from a Celebrity agent this morning over the phone.  As to the person who suggested that the voyage may not be profitable, let me assure you, it was booked to capacity every year for the past 8 years.  It's pretty much LLP's motto:  If the guests like it, get rid of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crickie said:

I learned this from a Celebrity agent this morning over the phone.  As to the person who suggested that the voyage may not be profitable, let me assure you, it was booked to capacity every year for the past 8 years.  It's pretty much LLP's motto:  If the guests like it, get rid of it. 

Yes, after I read your post I ran up all the Summit cruises in the summer of 20 and there is nothing for Bermuda.    They have a bunch of cruises to New England all summer, they seem to be doing a lot in Newport, RI.   I wonder if we will see them announce something in Newport to eliminate tendering.   

32 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Where did you learn this.

On 2 August they are doing B2B to Ireland taking the Northern Route, then returning to Boston.  On 30 August they are doing 4 12-night Canada New England cruises out of Boston.

1 minute ago, Wine-O said:

On 2 August they are doing B2B to Ireland taking the Northern Route, then returning to Boston.  On 30 August they are doing 4 12-night Canada New England cruises out of Boston.

And there is a two week cruise to Iceland and Greenland in 2020.

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

And there is a two week cruise to Iceland and Greenland in 2020.

I think that's the one ending in Dublin.  For June & July, they are doing a mixed bag to New England/Canada and Bermuda, throwing in a stop in Newport.

6 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

I think that's the one ending in Dublin.  For June & July, they are doing a mixed bag to New England/Canada and Bermuda, throwing in a stop in Newport.

Yes, just noticed that also, apparently they will get to Bermuda and stay there the same number of days except day two as Mike said they are in Newport.   That's really not that bad since Newport is a nice place to visit.  They're making less Bermuda trips but making them more enticing.  

Edited by dkjretired

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

Summit's new itineraries look great. 

They used to take 2 days to sail to Bermuda and one day back.  Now it's one day to/from, throwing in Newport for that extra day, which is nice.

But I think their prices are grossly inflated for all their itineraries.

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Yes, there are a couple of interesting ones, they are adding Charleston also.   Leave Bayonne, Newport next day then an overnight in Charleston, then over to Bermuda, 10 days total.   

That was the one that caught my eye. Much better than a standard 7 day Bermuda run.

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Could they be replacing the Bermuda cruises with a newer larger ship?  This is often a first cruise from a highly desirable cruising demographic.

The agent said no other Celebrity ship would be taking over the Aug/Sep Bermuda runs from Bayonne.  That is such a bummer.  Especially the last Summit run to Bermuda from Bayonne was an annual favorite for many, many people, especially because there were no bratty kids on board.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Yes, after I read your post I ran up all the Summit cruises in the summer of 20 and there is nothing for Bermuda.    They have a bunch of cruises to New England all summer, they seem to be doing a lot in Newport, RI.   I wonder if we will see them announce something in Newport to eliminate tendering.   

Newport is a useless stop to me, at least, because I'm from Boston.  I can go there anytime I want without X's help.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Yes, there are a couple of interesting ones, they are adding Charleston also.   Leave Bayonne, Newport next day then an overnight in Charleston, then over to Bermuda, 10 days total.   

MY DH just booked the May 9, 2020 cruise which includes Newport and overnight in Charleston and two overnights in Bermuda -- can not wait.

Edited by archerniak
spelling

1 hour ago, Crickie said:

Newport is a useless stop to me, at least, because I'm from Boston.  I can go there anytime I want without X's help.

Newport takes the place of the first day at sea on the Bermuda run, nothing after that is lost or gained.  That trip looks like something just a little bit different on the positive side.   At least in Newport you can get a real nice seafood meal for lunch. 

What I noticed also is that the cruises in July are the usual cruises to Bermuda with Newport added.  The cruises starting in August are all longer cruises not conducive to having a lot of children.  The July and August cruises to Bermuda in the past have always had loads of kids mostly from the tri state area.   Wonder how that will fit the bottom line. 

Edited by dkjretired

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It may have something to do with Oasis of the Seas  replacing Anthem in Bayonne. 

no, oasis will not be doing bermuda.  Adventure will be taking over the current anthem schedule, 9 day caribbean (or canada) interspersed with 5 day bermuda.  Oasis will be doing 7 day bahamas sailings (Oasis class cannot navigate the channel into bermuda).

Steve