Biodegradable sunscreen/insect repellent

Bawjaws

Apologies if this has been covered before...

I am going to Costa Maya and Cozumel on Celebrity Edge in February.  When booking beach excursions, the blurb says I need biodegradable sunscreen and insect repellent, but I’m not sure where to get such sunscreen or what specifically to look for.  Likewise with the insect repellent - I don’t know what sort of insects I need to repel, so not sure about appropriate stuff to buy, or if the regular tropical strength mosquito wipes I use would do the job. Would be really grateful for any information and advice. 😀

45 minutes ago, Bawjaws said:

Apologies if this has been covered before...

I am going to Costa Maya and Cozumel on Celebrity Edge in February.  When booking beach excursions, the blurb says I need biodegradable sunscreen and insect repellent, but I’m not sure where to get such sunscreen or what specifically to look for.  Likewise with the insect repellent - I don’t know what sort of insects I need to repel, so not sure about appropriate stuff to buy, or if the regular tropical strength mosquito wipes I use would do the job. Would be really grateful for any information and advice. 😀

Just start with a google search for "biodegradable sunscreen".  That will get you headed in the right direction.

Do the "regular tropical strength mosquito wipes" say they are biodegradable?  If not, they probably aren't.

CVS has an inexpensive oil free and biodegradable sunscreen available.

All cruisers should buy some, as it is totally better for the environment than the oil based screens.   Ever snorkel with a large group and see the layers of oil from the swimmers sunscreen in what used to be clear salt water?  That sheen then settles on corals, fish wind up ingesting it, yuck, there goes the coral reef.

Many tour Caribbean operators now ban those pesky spray on sunscreens, because most of the spray lands on their boats and equipment and isn't easy to scrub off.  Cruise lines should ban it too, as people wind up spraying 95% of that product on whatever is near them on a windy cruise deck.

I have only ever found one reef safe sun screen that is also good enough quality to protect my skin properly with a high enough uvb/uva. Not sure if it is sold stateside?

Look for a five star UVB rating instead with high UVA and insect repellant might not even be needed.

I love animals but skin safety is a very important thing too.

• 2 weeks later...