MSC Newbie--From Celebrity

Chade5772

My wife and I were origianlly booked on Celebrity Edge, but reading on the Celebrity boards and counting up the dollars and cents it was just crazy expensive. We have cruised often Celebrity, Carnival, RC, Holland America. We know what to expect on each of these lines and like them all in their unique way. The more I read about MSC Yacht Club the more intrigued I became. Then when I started comparing everything from the itenerary to price I took the leap with the Bellissima out of Barcelona. I just have a few questions for some of you MSC veterans. 

1. Since we are in the Yacht Club do the changes in drink packages impact us? If so how?

2. If we love Celebrity how is Yacht Club in comparison?

3. Any thing you wish you knew before your first MSC Cruise? Secrets, tips information in general?

Thank you in advance, this is our 25th Anniversary Celebration and I am just trying to make sure all it good.  

1.  There is a 7-page post on the drink package & YC.  TL;DR version - drinks, gelato, and crepes from Venchi are still included as recent as first week of December.  Check out the live-ish post for 12/8 sailing.  The poster of that thread said she also received 30% off on a bottle of champagne.

2.  Never been on Celebrity, but was on Princess in a suite in 2017.  While the deluxe room is smaller compared to our suite on Regal Princess, the staff and service was superior to Princess.  The dedicated YC areas are lovely and never crowded.  With the elevator hijacking abilities, YC makes you feel like a VIP instead of 1 among 3500+, just with a bigger room.

3.  Secrets?  Befriend Alessandro, the YC director.  He comp'd us a cabana on the last day (it was at Nassau, so we used it).  LOL!

• Like 1

I can’t comment on the YC experience, but we just sailed the Mediterranean on the Meraviglia, Bellísima’s sister ship. It was an absolutely fantastic cruise. Easily one of the best cruises I’ve ever taken. The itinerary was fascinating. The ship has that wow factor, like Royal’s Oasis class ships have. We had an Áurea suite (one step down from Yacht Club), and while the perks and amenities were not as extensive, we throughly enjoyed all the perks that we did get. 

Our stateroom, an Áurea Duplex Suite was awesome. Like nothing we’ve ever sailed on. We are officially spoiled for life. And the price was a fraction of what similar accommodations would’ve cost on American cruise lines. 

Loved the very international

atmosphere, and the fact that MSC does not tailor their product to Americans but to their very diverse clientele, was an absolute bonus. We traveled to Europe to experience Europe, not an Americanized version of Europe.

As a side not, I had also placed a deposit on the Celebrity Edge when her itineraries were first announced, but after some thought, I ended canceling as well. As much as I would’ve loved to sail on the Edge, I just couldn’t justify paying the overinflated fares for that cruise. After sailing on the Meraviglia, I’m confident that I made the right choice. It was wonderful. 

• Like 2

We've done a Sky Suite 1 on Celebrity and 5 YC - no comparison in experiences;  YC far exceeds what's offered on X.  The vast majority of YC reviews are positive ones.

Even with the new drinks packages, you'll find the range of drinks covered to be a very comprehensive one, so no need to worry on that front.  

You don't even need to use your cruisecard in the YC enclave when ordering drinks.  Concierge service is 24/7 so there is always someone at the desk to deal with any issues you may have.

You won't get better value anywhere for what YC offers!

• Like 1

I can confirm what the others here say, there is no better value anywhere what YC offers. Celebrity is good and we loved our experience on the Celebrity Equinox in the Caribbean but for an really upscale cruise the YC wins. After 8 cruises in the YC we keep coming back. Last year we were on the maiden voyage of the MSC Meraviglia, which is the sistership of the yet to be launched MSC Bellissima. A lovely Yacht Club and I have uploaded some photos for you. Have a great cruise :) 

20170604_123044.jpg

20170604_123117.jpg

20170604_152421.jpg

20170604_152444.jpg

20170604_152452.jpg

DSC04136.JPG

20170604_214615.jpg

20170605_183127.jpg

20170605_183442.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have over 200 nights on Celebrity.  I've sailed in MSC's Yacht Club.  From what I've read of the Celebrity Edge, the Yacht Club blows the Edge right of the water.  For far less money.  I don't think Celebrity quite grasps what the ship within a ship concept should be.  Go and enjoy!

I've been waiting to see what you thought--we have 3 YC booked for 2019 so we are really looking forward to them now. May even book for 2020 in case prices go through the roof with all X people jumping ship

Liz

• Like 1

Hi Chade,

Celebrity is one of the top mass market lines.  It delivers a good product for pax who are looking for a more upscale experience...although more sedate than other mass market lines.  Their suite experience gives you a superior cabin at exhorbitant rates and a bit of upscale service and dining within the entire ship.  I have stayed in the Penthouse Suite and in the Royal Suite on RCI.  

The YC concept on MSC gives you the whole package of a truly all-inclusive upscale experience. It is luxury mass market cruising that is a ship within the ship.  The MSC Yacht Club is the biggest bang for the dollar in cruising.  It is not a luxury cruise line but it is luxury mass market.  The YC offers luxury and the ability to enjoy the entire ship which offers a greater activity level than you would ever find on the luxury lines.    The level of service, YC atmosphere, all-inclusive offerings and the ability to enjoy the entire ship makes the YC far superior to the Celebrity suite experience...and at half the price!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chade5772 said:

.....I just have a few questions for some of you MSC veterans. 

1. Since we are in the Yacht Club do the changes in drink packages impact us? If so how?

2. If we love Celebrity how is Yacht Club in comparison?

3. Any thing you wish you knew before your first MSC Cruise? Secrets, tips information in general?

Thank you in advance, this is our 25th Anniversary Celebration and I am just trying to make sure all it good.  

1. Yes, you have the equivalent of Premium Plus which has no price limit per drink....the only downside for some is that gelato is now chargeable. 

2. No comparison, in terms of quality and service, it is a 'ship within a ship' concept. You can still head out into the general ship areas, in the knowledge that you can return to YC area as soon as you are ready. The only downside, for us at least, is that outwith pre-dinner times the top-sail lounge is quiet and lacking in atmosphere...we spent more time in the general areas post-dinner and finished in the top-sail lounge about 10.30ish mainly for light snacks.

3. Main tip is that it is an Italian line, European and therefore it is not an 'American ship' experience....that is a plus for us, but seems to be a problem for some of our USofA cousins!. Also, make sure you have at least one visit to Butchers' Cut specialty restaurant. Use your highest cruise privilege and status match with MSC. 

• Like 1

The “problem with USA cruisers” is that MSC offers really low priced cabins.  A lot of pax who are used to the mass market lines like Carnival and NCL are disappointed that MSC is not like them.  It will take some time but I believe MSC will eventually win them over.  Pax are always looking for something different and they will find it with MSC.  The past year has shown that MSC, while having teething problems, is a work in progress and continually improving.  The Yacht Club proves what they are capable of as the service slowly  improves throughout the ships.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chade5772 said:

So helpful! Thank you guys.  I read a review that the wife can't bring her own hair dryer...true?

True, but the same applies to all cruise lines that I am aware of. Most, if not all, provide hair dryers.

We too had put a deposit down for a Celebrity Edge sailing (our of Civitavecchia) for June 2019 but the pricing was astronomical compared to a very similar voyage on MSC Seaview Yacht Club. This MSC product appears to be incredible value for money.

We have only sailed with RCL, Carnival and P&O, this will be our first MSC cruise (as a part of our 2 month European Vacation) and we are so looking forward to it.

We are Aussies so we embrace differences and we roll with any little hiccups - unlike some of our USA cruisers.

• Like 1

We were on Seaside  Nov 2018. Brought my own hair dryer in carry on and never had a problem.  Did not have a problem with it on the Harmony OTS the week before,  either. Have done over 100 cruises and never had a problem bringing it on board. HAPPY CRUISING!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 4:33 AM, emmas gran said:

I've been waiting to see what you thought--we have 3 YC booked for 2019 so we are really looking forward to them now. May even book for 2020 in case prices go through the roof with all X people jumping ship

Liz

Edited by CanadaGuyEh
YC is Yacht Cruise

On 12/13/2018 at 6:33 AM, emmas gran said:

Liz

Liz, many like me, with several NCL suite/Haven under our belt, have tried/have booked to try MSC YC.  

I wish MSC would realize what they are building right now is a new loyal base of suite cruisers.  I imagine MSC could, with the current pricing and structure, keep the YC booked steadily and really build a YC brand loyalty.  I am hoping they do not screw it up by taking things away or by jacking up prices unreasonably, like NCL did.  I absolutely hate NCL's "Priceline-esque bidding system"!  

I have only cruised X once, and that was before I made the transition into suite cruising, so I can't compare.  

MSC proved that they don't care about their regular cruisers when they replaced the Loyalty Club with Voyagers Club, drastically reducing the benefits (especially for the top tier members - who had sailed most with them) and introduced the status-match programme.  If you think that by sailing regularly in YC you will have any influence on decisions MSC make - you're sadly mistaken!  Even with the price increases (and removal of some of the items that formerly were included), they're still priced well below anything equivalent in the market.

They already have "the YC booked steadily" and a "YC brand loyalty"  (Seaside isn't the only ship with a YC and many of us have been sailing in YC since well before Divina went stateside)!