TSA Lock

sail_ORN

An open question to anyone who disembarked the NCL Getaway in Miami yesterday, 12-16; Are you missing a lock from your suitcase? I just might have it! If you post the combination, I will try it. If it opens and I can get it off MY bag, I will gladly send it to you!

Seriously. How the heck am I gonna get this thing off my bag?? How am I gonna do laundry?? 

8 minutes ago, DukeBlueRN said:

An open question to anyone who disembarked the NCL Getaway in Miami yesterday, 12-16; Are you missing a lock from your suitcase? I just might have it! If you post the combination, I will try it. If it opens and I can get it off MY bag, I will gladly send it to you!

Seriously. How the heck am I gonna get this thing off my bag?? How am I gonna do laundry?? 

Are you sure you brought your luggage home? 

Edited by CruiseGal999

1 hour ago, mpk218 said:

Push in the little button on the bottom with a blunt toothpick and set all the numbers to zero . ; )

Ah this ONLY works when the hasp of the lock is open !

With the hasp open rotate the hasp around to permit access to that button.

Some locks you depress the open hasp and rotate the numbered cylinders setting a new combination.

The TSA locks have an odd hole in the side of the lock that a master pass key is used to open the lock.

When all else has failed a vice-grip pliers with bolt cutters will break the hasp or a hack saw.

In the previous post with a spiral zipper - opening the luggage bypassing the lock and zipper is possible.

Really the TSA locks are cheap functional and when bought in a multi-package just junk and not worth

the time and effort to solve the combination - although if you like a challenge about 20 minutes of work

to solve the 3 cylinder ones. Luggage locks are only temporary time security devices. 

59 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Am I the only one wondering how someone else’s lock got on the OP’s luggage?  What did I miss?

Here is what happened presuming this was done by the TSA folks at the airport -

You check your luggage and it takes a conveyor ride to the dark halls of the bag assembly place -

Along the way the TSA randomly checks suspicious pieces for further inspection -

while only one bag should be checked at a time - perhaps two were and the TSA locks removed  -

the locks are unlocked and bags checked and cleared - only the locks were exchanged on the bags -

someone else got your lock and you got theirs - or simply you did not have a lock and got the other persons

on your bag by mistake.

Solution here remove the lock by solving the combination or remove by force cutting it off.

Alternative scenario - NCL checking your luggage on the ship did the same thing as above switched the

locks or put a lock on the wrong bag.

Solution take bag to Naughty room and have NCL fix the situation for you - their goof - their problem !

And an unlikely third scenario - you have the wrong bag looking exactly like yours - rule that out if the outside

ID matches yours !

I worked in Lost & Found for a major airline for awhile - this is not an unusual situation and one that bears

a comment - decorate your luggage with ribbons tape colored strips to make it stand out and be different

for you to locate and claim and MOST IMPORTANTLY "ID" INSIDE AND OUTSIDE the bag. The outside ID

can be concealed under a flap or panel - with no outside ID and tags the only other option is to force

the bag open for inspection of items that will reveal the owners name etc. A copy of your cruise documents

is the most helpful thing.

Think Smart - if the bag loses its ID airline cruise tags how can it be mated back with the owner the best fastest way.

And be very cautious about leaving Tagless ID-less bags unattended at airports - your bag may not be returned

to you timely until the police sniffing dogs and others have inspected and cleared it.  

• Like 1

Problem solved...we cut off the lock. 

I'm certain I have the right bag. ID was on outside and inside. I had a bright neon green "belt" around a basic black bag. I live in NC, and didn't notice the lock until I was unpacking the day after I got off the ship, so no going back to Miami to get the lock off. I don't lock my suitcases. I've read many times that if someone wants to get in your bag badly enough, they will find a way. 

As for random searches, my room mate's bag was also searched. TSA left a note. ✈️

I was surprised how easy it was to clear customs. They barely looked at the passports, and didn't even ask any questions. 

💙

Edited by DukeBlueRN
size

1.) Push the button or pull on the lock, to put pressure on the locking mechanism.

2.) Turn the first dial slowly, listening until there is an audible click. That should be the correct number.

3.) Leaving the first dial on the number that clicked, repeat the process with the other two dials.

4.)When all three numbers have clicked, the lock should open.