NCL "Re-Imagining" Ships before Leonardo in 2022?

kenns

I was just looking at RCCL and their fleet renovation plan "Royal Advantage" and I am impressed (new concepts, new pool areas, etc.) and Carnival is "re-imagining" the Triumph and Victory into 2 essentially new ships.  Perhaps we will see some "new" layouts and ideas with Project Leonardo? But the first ship isn't due until 2022 - a good 3 years away!

I was curious if anyone has heard of any "re-imagining" of existing NCL ships (say older ships: Dawn or Jewel class) on a similar scale to what RCCL & Carnival are doing with their older ships. Yes, NCL has been "renovating" ships with the Norwegian Edge plan but these projects are substantially minor (i.e. new carpets and USB ports in cabins) and in no ways on the same scale as these "re-imagining" enhancements going on at RCCL and Carnival. I think this 3 year lead-time before Leonardo would be the perfect time for NCL to re-imagine some of the older ships so as to not fall behind the times or look stale, especially when the big 2 are actively doing this and we have Virgin coming on-board. 

Edited by kenns

10 hours ago, kenns said:

I was just looking at RCCL and their fleet renovation plan "Royal Advantage" and I am impressed (new concepts, new pool areas, etc.) and Carnival is "re-imagining" the Triumph and Victory into 2 essentially new ships.  Perhaps we will see some "new" layouts and ideas with Project Leonardo? But the first ship isn't due until 2022 - a good 3 years away!

I was curious if anyone has heard of any "re-imagining" of existing NCL ships (say older ships: Dawn or Jewel class) on a similar scale to what RCCL & Carnival are doing with their older ships. Yes, NCL has been "renovating" ships with the Norwegian Edge plan but these projects are substantially minor (i.e. new carpets and USB ports in cabins) and in no ways on the same scale as these "re-imagining" enhancements going on at RCCL and Carnival. I think this 3 year lead-time before Leonardo would be the perfect time for NCL to re-imagine some of the older ships so as to not fall behind the times or look stale, especially when the big 2 are actively doing this and we have Virgin coming on-board. 

NCL has been re-imaging their ships for the past 5 years. Almost all of the NCL fleet have undergone the NCL Edge re-imaging getting rid of the plastic palm trees and installing contemporary decorations. Most ships are demo'ed down to the deck plates and rebuilt. The video below give you an idea on the types of changes. 

5 hours ago, Joeghartman said:

I am really disappointed with how they are Americanizing Joy.  I wish they would do a little something on the upper decks with a grassy area instead of so much emphasis on a pool, sunbathing, and obnoxious live music.

Yeah whatever became of miniature golf - and another thing that bugs me is shuffleboard on the Promenade deck -

no room to walk or jog without interrupting play. OK when the Mayflower came over they didn't have these either.

When CC*** (no not Cruise Critic - Christopher Columbus)  reported back to the Queen that there is a cruise market

out there in the New World but the Spanish Inquisition shut him down - would have nothing to do with Sex Sun and

Loud (very very Loud) music and fun and games - but then another CC came along (Carnival Cruise) and busted

open the taboo market with the Mardi Gras - LOUD music party atmosphere and although it was short sailed (ran

aground upon first cruise) a cruise as being business as usual with plain ole boring sun-up sun-down just putt putting

around on the seas sitting in a lounge chair like a senior citizens love boat becoming a thing of the past.

So now it is the age of the floating amusement park that you take with you from port to port in case you no like the

shore excursions and you have something to do if a port is skipped. If something does not have 5 stars * * * * * of

screaming entertainment level it won't play in Peoria or on the high seas.

There is ship out there "Symphony of the Seas" but I bet you will not find the New York Philharmonic or even the

Boston Pops playing there - it has to be this BASS driven music driving the marine life nutso !

And Global Warming is threatening my soap box - I have to leave to get my scuba gear !

You all have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays - there is no Bah Hum Bug while cruising unless you make it so ! 

• Like 1

Well, what RC is doing is mostly adding features to appeal to Millennials; RC is completely open about that. Water slides, laser tag, you name it. I'm not of that age cohort and unlikely to use any of them*.

Oh, and making the decor even glitzier. RC passengers who try NCL often report that the decor was dull and drab. I think it could be improved but not with bling.

Honestly, I would be happier with the mix of activities and the entertainment on Holland America, and I'm almost in the HAL demographic. Holland America pricing doesn't work for me, but if I didn't have such a negative impression of Holland America passengers -- formed from reading the HAL board right here -- I might try it.

*and I'm not enthusiastic about adding features to attract a lot of young drunks, either.