Frankfurt airport

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Wondering how involved it is in FRA to go from a flight from outside euro zone to a domestic flight and vice versa. Looks like connection is from A pier to Z or vice versa for U.S. fight to or from Madrid. Will I need to walk, ride, or elevator a lot? Do I go through a tunnel? I looked at Frankfurt airport and their guide for travelers but I'm still confused.

Some domestic flights also operate out of B, which can mean some walking, and a possible bus ride. More details on flights involved would be helpful.

As mentioned, going from A to Z, or reverse, is not difficult. But International flights also get parked at remote sites as well, which will involve going down stairs off the plane, and getting on buses.

Again, more specifics would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from our trip, connecting in Frankfurt, so I thought I'd post about my experience in case it helps someone else.  ("I Want to Live...." was me; used a family member's "name" since we share a computer.) Our first connection was a bit of a nightmare, as we waited a full hour for a cart to take my husband to the connecting gate (A to Z or maybe vice versa).  My husband had a back problem recently and needed a wheelchair.  I asked for one pre-flight.  When we got to Frankfurt he was asked if he could walk a little.  He said yes.  They put him in a wheelchair and took him down the ramp.  We were told to wait for a cart to take us to our connecting gate.  We waited an hour before we got annoyed and a little panicky, and asked for help.  It WAS the week after Christmas, and very, very busy, but an hour?  Crazy.  Anyway, about 10 minutes later the cart came.  It took us a long way to another gate, where we learned we needed to go on a bus to the tarmac, where we'd walk up metal steps with our carry-on bags to the plane.  It was difficult but we managed. 

We were told that each person requesting a wheelchair is asked if they can walk a little.  If they can, they have to wait for a cart.  If not, someone comes with a wheelchair and takes them to their connecting gate.  If a trip to the tarmac is involved, Lufthansa (or the airport?) has a big truck with a lift.  They can put several wheelchairs in there, and they take you to your plane in the middle of the tarmac, and raise it up so you can walk off onto your plane.  We used that system when we came back through Frankfurt, and the service was efficient, prompt and cheerful. There was a good amount of walking involved for me, as our connection was going out of Z69, at the end of the terminal.  However, we had plenty of connection time, and the cheerful young woman pushing my husband didn't go flying down the corridors, so I managed OK.

We really like Lufthansa, and Frankfurt airport as well, so if we need wheelchair assistance in the future, we'll certainly consider using LH through FF again.  Hopefully we'll remember to ask for full wheelchair service to the door of the plane.   

Edited by roothy123