Any advice before I book 1st Carnival Cruise?

gemduncan

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger to book our very first Carnival Cruise. I’m planning to book Legend ship for March 2020 on the Western Caribbean Plus Cozumel. I like this itinerary because it includes Grand Cayman and Belize. We are big snorkelers! And my husband is certified diver. 

I’m planning to book Ocean Suite. And I’m going to buy the vacation insurance. Any tips or advice before I pay the deposit? Oh, my daughter will turn 11 years old during this cruise.

Edited by gemduncan

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Talk to a travel agent and be specific about what type of on board experience you would like.

It may be that Carnival will not suit your expectations and another cruise line would be a better fit.

Homosassa - I have to book Carnival because I have a large gift card for Carnival Cruise.

Kevin - Legend. But I’m mainly looking for general advice. For example, are unlimited soda, coffee, and water (not bottled) included? Is there unlimited ice cream included? How is the breakfast buffet? What is the set dinner times? Is there anything that I must purchase from Carnival that is not included?

I have had my best Carnival cruises on their newer, bigger ships. If I were you I would look and see if I could find an Eastern Caribbean cruise on either the... Carnival Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista, Horizon, or Panorama. If you could find an Eastern Caribbean cruise on one of those ships that would be perfect. (In my opinion.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gemduncan said:

Kevin - Legend. But I’m mainly looking for general advice. For example, are unlimited soda, coffee, and water (not bottled) included? Is there unlimited ice cream included? How is the breakfast buffet? What is the set dinner times? Is there anything that I must purchase from Carnival that is not included?

Unlimited soda packages will be up charges. Coffee and water is free at the buffet during all meals. There are unlimited soft serve machines on all Carnival Cruise Lines ships. The breakfast buffet is not very good, I preferred to have breakfast in the main dining room whenever I could to try to get something decent. The set dining times are early (6:00PM), and late (8:00PM). There are plenty of things you will likely purchase on the ship, alcohol, beverage packages, t-shirts, specialty dining... it really depends on what it is you're looking to get out of your vacation. Everything is pretty expensive too, considering that you are on a ship and you have no other option of where to purchase these things.

Carnival is great for singles, couples, families, children, and everyone in between.

Encourage your child to attend the first night of the age appropriate camp.  

Any and/or all of you can order multiple appetizers, entrees and desserts in the dining room.  Try new things.

"Stuff" is scheduled all day on sea days.  Don't try to do or schedule everything ahead of time.  Relax.

I would suggest a Carnival excursion in Belize.

Be sure you have all necessary documents to embark.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I agree with those that said to look at other ships, mainly the newer and bigger ones.  We sailed the Legend with our girls, I think they were probably 8 and 10 at the time.  There was nothing for them to do.  Most of the people on the ship were older.  We've done the Carnival Dream with them and they had a blast.  There is so much more for kids to do on the bigger and newer ships.  

In Belize do a ship shore excursion.   Remember Carnival will price match 110% of the difference if you  find the same excursion cheaper.   We got good size credit for our Belize tour because I did a little research online and found it cheaper.

Soada are separate.  With a kid the bottomless bubbles is likely worth wild for soft drinks.  We did it worked well for me it was cheaper for my wife it would have been cheaper to pay  as she went.

Dinning we choose Anytime dinning over a set time dinning.   We don't like to be told when to eat.  Some people prefer the set dinning though.

• Like 1

I disagree with the people saying to forget the Legend. I’ve sailed Carnival’s current smallest ships all the way to their current largest. I have loved all of them. Including the Legend. If the ship matters more to you than the ports, then sure, the Horizon has more to offer. But it sounds like you have found an itinerary that works for you, which is good. I always book for the itinerary, so I can relate. You are correct, too, in that Belize and Grand Cayman are not commonly offered in one itinerary. 

My suggestion is to read, read, and then read some more. These boards have valuable information. I learned so much before I even took my first cruise that I just knew I would be hooked on cruising. Eight cruises later, and I can tell you that I was definitely right!

Anyway, good luck!  Welcome to Carnival. It’s a fun line for sure, for people of all ages, and I doubt you will have a chance to be bored during your cruise no matter what ship you choose. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gemduncan said:

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger to book our very first Carnival Cruise. I’m planning to book Legend ship for March 2020 on the Western Caribbean Plus Cozumel. I like this itinerary because it includes Grand Cayman and Belize. We are big snorkelers! And my husband is certified diver. 

I’m planning to book Ocean Suite. And I’m going to buy the vacation insurance. Any tips or advice before I pay the deposit? Oh, my daughter will turn 11 years old during this cruise.

Diver here, you picked 3 awesome dive islands. Cayman has the wall, Cozumel is a fantastic drift dive, and Belize has one of the most beautiful coral reefs. We never dive with Carnival, they're horrible. We are in the same situation, my wife is a snorkeler and I am a diver. Private companies will take you both, Carnival will not. In Cozumel she drifted snorkeling and I dove below her, it was so cool. Don't let the negative nellies scare you, find a 5 * Padi Dive shop and you will be fine. You do not need Carnival to dive, done it many times. 

1 hour ago, BoDidly said:

Be very careful in Belize .  Some places are just not safe for tourist.

The diving is not in Belize City. The diving is in Ambergris Cays, you take a boat there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

Diver here, you picked 3 awesome dive islands. Cayman has the wall, Cozumel is a fantastic drift dive, and Belize has one of the most beautiful coral reefs. We never dive with Carnival, they're horrible. We are in the same situation, my wife is a snorkeler and I am a diver. Private companies will take you both, Carnival will not. In Cozumel she drifted snorkeling and I dove below her, it was so cool. Don't let the negative nellies scare you, find a 5 * Padi Dive shop and you will be fine. You do not need Carnival to dive, done it many times. 

The diving is not in Belize City. The diving is in Ambergris Cays, you take a boat there. 

Well aware of that, my post stands as submitted .  OP did not state how or where they were proceeding to.

Belize and even Nassau have recent warnings of robberies taken place . Doesn't matter if your on a boat or land if they want your items. Not even gonna mention Jamaica :classic_rolleyes:

The Legend is the most beautiful Carnival ship I have been on and you will surely enjoy it. It is your vacation, so sit back and enjoy it and do not listen to all the naysayers who will try to talk you into doing something different. Go with a positive attitude. If you read and believe all the negative remarks about the cruise, you will be looking for the worse instead of enjoying the best.

A young child doesn't need a beverage package with 10 soft drinks a day. They would probably prefer 1 or 2 cans of Coke a day than a bunch of cups of watered down fountain drink. The dining room and buffet are both free so use the one you want. The buffet if you are in a hurry or the dining room if you have more time and would like the finer service and usually better prepared food. 

Don't forget your camera. Enjoy!

• Like 1

We just got off Horizon and I just posted my review. I have 3 kids, including an 11 year old girl. All kids like Carnival better than Disney.

The unlimited bubbles soda program is available at bars and service/dining spots. We got it for the 16 year old because we knew he would be moving around ship a lot and would be comfortable waiting at a bar for the drink. We did not get it for the younger girls for the same/opposite reason. You can bring sod on board if that is important to her, or order with dinner for less than the full program cost. 

We loved the MDR. We had set dining time (6 or 😎 but they moved us to 5:30 to better accommodate an allergy. That time was very early, especially if we enjoyed one of the great lunch options. With just one kid. you should try to get the anytime dining. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gemduncan said:

Homosassa - I have to book Carnival because I have a large gift card for Carnival Cruise.

OK. If you are a new cruiser, just remember that all cruise lines are not alike and it is a learning experience on what line may be a good fit.

• Like 1

I agree with Bo.  We went to Belize last summer for the first time.  We feel perfectly safe in Nassau so that provides some context. Belize was a different animal.  Probably the least safe we have ever felt in any port.  And we've done most of them at this point.

Edited by Cafedumonde

6 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

I agree with Bo.  We went to Belize last summer for the first time.  We feel perfectly safe in Nassau so that provides some context. Belize was a different animal.  Probably the least safe we have ever felt in any port.  And we've done most of them at this point.

That said driving through Belize will make her daughter really appreciate what she has.  But honestly on the tour to the ruins I felt safe the whole time.  But wouldn't want to be in the area outside the terminal alone.   Definatly book an excursion at this port.  We plan to go back I want to take the kids this time tring to talk my wife into cave tubing

15 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Well aware of that, my post stands as submitted .  OP did not state how or where they were proceeding to.

Belize and even Nassau have recent warnings of robberies taken place . Doesn't matter if your on a boat or land if they want your items. Not even gonna mention Jamaica :classic_rolleyes:

Literally thousands upon thousands of people visit all of these locations every day via cruise ships. With no problems at all. Sure, the warnings mean you should be cautious when visiting these areas, but really, you should be cautious everywhere these days. Even in the US. There is absolutely no reason to avoid any of these places, nor should you feel unsafe doing so. Just use your head and don’t be stupid. 

6 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Literally thousands upon thousands of people visit all of these locations every day via cruise ships. With no problems at all. Sure, the warnings mean you should be cautious when visiting these areas, but really, you should be cautious everywhere these days. Even in the US. There is absolutely no reason to avoid any of these places, nor should you feel unsafe doing so. Just use your head and don’t be stupid. 

Not at all stupid, that's why we stayed on the ship the last few times we were there. The shopping area is ok at the port as long as you don't go through the locked gates.

Traveled all over the US and never felt as uncomfortable as we do in Belize.

All - thank you very much for the comments and advice. I would much prefer to do one of the newer ships, but they do not offer the itineraries I'm looking to do. I do not want to go to Bahamas (Nassau - been there/done that).  I would like to go to St Thomas, but only because I'd like to ferry over to St John (we vacationed in St John before and loved it!!) but I do not like the time schedule for the St Thomas port because it is from 11:30am-7pm.  The best time to be on St John is early in the morning. Middle of the day is super hot.  Hence, this is why I like the Legend Western Caribbean Plus Cozumel itinerary because it has decent port times and I've heard Grand Cayman and Belize have amazing snorkeling!  I've been on Disney cruises and they have spoiled me, but I have a large gift card for Carnival Cruise which is why I must book Carnival.

So after looking at all the Carnival 6-9 night cruises for the month of March 2020, the Legend meets my needs the best.  As long as there is a water slide and pool on the ship and entertainment for my 11 year old, then she will enjoy it. I plan to book all my own excursions so that we can do a combined diving & snorkeling trip as a family. 

TallyHo8 - thanks for the info on the drinks and food!

Kevin308 - great tips! Thank you!

CoEvan - thanks for the positive support for locations in regards to snorkeling and diving!

• Like 2