Luggage Tags and flight

Cinnamon2

We are in the final stages of packing for our Carnival Sunshine cruise.  We have a direct flight from Albany, NY to Orlando, FL.  I plan to attach 2 luggage tags to each bag before we leave home.  They are printed in color and will be laminated and attached with cable ties.  I haven't cruised in a while, but do remember doing the same in the past and the tags have always remained intact until we retrieved them at the destination airport.  I figure it gives an extra layer of protection in case the bags are "misplaced" giving a better chance of the bags making it to the ship.  I will have spare tags in my carryon in case they are needed.  What do you all think?  

Edited by Cinnamon2

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon2 said:

We are in the final stages of packing for our Carnival Sunshine cruise.  We have a direct flight from Albany, NY to Orlando, FL.  I plan to attach 2 luggage tags to each bag before we leave home.  They are printed in color and will be laminated and attached with cable ties.  I haven't cruised in a while, but do remember doing the same in the past and the tags have always remained intact until we retrieved them at the destination airport.  I figure it gives an extra layer of protection in case the bags are "misplaced" giving a better change of the bags making it to the ship.  I will have spare tags in my carryon in case they are needed.  What do you all think?  

I guess it can't hurt. I don't like to put the cruise tags on until after we get off the plane to avoid any confusion at the airport but I'm a worry wart.

• Like 3

Honestly, I just buy these and pack them. Day of the cruise, I put them on our luggage. This way, I don’t have to worry about them falling off during our flight.  And this way they won’t confuse the baggage handlers who need to see the airline’s tags only. Plus, they are reusable. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UXMQXO?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Edited by bakersdozen12

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon2 said:

We are in the final stages of packing for our Carnival Sunshine cruise.  We have a direct flight from Albany, NY to Orlando, FL.  I plan to attach 2 luggage tags to each bag before we leave home.  They are printed in color and will be laminated and attached with cable ties.  I haven't cruised in a while, but do remember doing the same in the past and the tags have always remained intact until we retrieved them at the destination airport.  I figure it gives an extra layer of protection in case the bags are "misplaced" giving a better change of the bags making it to the ship.  I will have spare tags in my carryon in case they are needed.  What do you all think?  

I would wait.  The ship tags will not help if the bags are misplaced and may confuse the airport scanners.  

• Like 2

Your bags may be pulled off the carousel by the people in charge of the day of cruise transfers from the airport.  Wait until you arrive to put the tags on unless you're flying in the day of the cruise and have Carnival transfers booked.

Roz

Since you say you have a direct flight, which means one stop with no change of plane, be advised luggage will be removed and some added as passengers exit and new people join the flight. This could mean more jostling of your luggage in the baggage hold and one more reason to hold off putting your cruise tags on until collecting your bags in Orlando.

Edited by sanmarcosman

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Since you say you have a direct flight, which means one stop with no change of plane, be advised luggage will be removed and some added as passengers exit and new people join the flight. This could mean more jostling of your luggage in the baggage hold and one more reason to hold off putting your cruise tags on until collecting your bags in Orlando.

No stop - plane flies directly from Albany to Orlando so no

moving around or transferring luggage.

Edited by Cinnamon2

MCO is a huge airport. A scanner might miss the barcode on your airline tag and kick it off the belt for manual handling. That could mean your bag missed the bus to Port Canaveral. Take a minute outside baggage claim to take off the airline tag and put your Carnival tags on. 

Always have a luggage tag with your details on the bag. Most have a cover so nosy people are not reading your address and calling burglars in your town. Always put a paper inside with your details in case the external tags get torn off.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

We are in the final stages of packing for our Carnival Sunshine cruise.  We have a direct flight from Albany, NY to Orlando, FL.  I plan to attach 2 luggage tags to each bag before we leave home.  They are printed in color and will be laminated and attached with cable ties.  I haven't cruised in a while, but do remember doing the same in the past and the tags have always remained intact until we retrieved them at the destination airport.  I figure it gives an extra layer of protection in case the bags are "misplaced" giving a better chance of the bags making it to the ship.  I will have spare tags in my carryon in case they are needed.  What do you all think?  

Your Carnival tags are of no value while your luggage is being handled/processed through the airport facilities. Just something else to get in the way of the handlers properly guiding your bags onto the correct flight.

15 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

Number One: Attach ONLY the luggage tags that have your name and phone number on them, and let the airline attach their tags. Number Two: After you arrive at the airport in Orlando and retrieve your luggage, remove the tags that were put on by the airline and put your Carnival tags on your luggage. As others have already stated, too many tags on your luggage only creates confusion, and increases the chance of your luggage being misdirected. Keep it simple.