Gratuities on RCCL

invision

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

How many paths and turns can a tipping thread go? 

1. 30 years ago, the cruise line gave me a piece of paper that explained the tipping amounts that is recommended.  Each one of those people would than tip backwards to the people you did not see. 

2. Today, the employees did not like that system, so they have automatic tips.  Reason?  Now they are more assured of getting what they have always gotten, tips.  They also no longer of to tip back wards since the cruise lines use their own formula.

3. Wages.  They sign a contract, and they know what is expected. 

4. Subsidizing wages.  Really?  If they remove tips, than the price goes up.  You are still paying their wages, either way.  If you don't like the system, that has been in place for decades, than get an executive job at the cruise lines, and make the change.  Until than, the contracts for the employees and the fact that their "in your opinion, low wage" jobs will continue to work for them, since most likely, in their opinion, it is a great job. 

At the end of the day.  I do not remove tips, but am glad I don't have to hand out the tips.  Drinks, have 18% added, and even the packages.  I never add tips, and never feel the need to add more than the 18%.  Specialty restaurants have the tip included.  I paid the tip, and if I tip extra, than that would be my business, but for this statement, I paid already, and never feel the need to do it again.  Tipping on a bottle of water.  If you are buying the water, you already are buying something you can get for free, so why complain about a tip. 

Tips are part of the whole price.  Once on the ship, I prepaid everything, and can say, that my ending balance is always below $50.00. 

Two other things.  It is not my business how an employee gets paid.  I also don't care how the prepaid tips, or any tip, is managed once it leaves my hand, or my account.  It's just part of the cost, and I just don't care what happens to it. 

I don't tip extra to get better service.  I expect them to give me the same service, that a "pretipper" gets.  That includes the bar.

I also do not disclose, or "brag" about how much I tip extra.  Just like the employees paycheck, my tips, are my business. 

i wish I could give this post more than 1 like!

Thank you for cutting thru all the passionate BS and presenting everything logically and clear.

1 hour ago, springfire said:

Tip the way it works best for you!   I never worry when I am eating out if someone else tips or doesn't tip and  I don't think twice about it on a cruise ship who tips and doesn't tip.

Same here. I tip..and sometimes I tip extra...but I never concern myself with what others tip.  I never look down at under-tippers thinking that they are cheap-skates nor do I look up to over-tippers that think they are somehow magnanimously ending third world poverty.

In fact, I never know what others are tipping unless they tell me. Either way, it doesn't affect my cruise experience or the service I get.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some are better than others - no tip for this thread, not enough entertainment.

This is an auto-gratuity thread. Please see CC GS to remove /modify your tip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I visit a full service restaurant I'm expecting the server to perform to an acceptable standard, and I expect to pay an additional 20% for that service. I don't expect to pay any additional for the cooks, dishwashers, busboys, etc. That's baked in (no pun intended) to the cost of the food. I don't tip at McDonalds, nor do I tip the hot food server at the grocery store. 

Being my first cruise in a very long time, I will wait a few days to see how things work out. If it turns out I don't care for the main dining room, and would prefer to eat at the buffet every day; and I don't care to have my room serviced several times per day (I usually leave the do not disturb sign on my hotel rooms for the entire stay) I will probably opt to remove the auto gratuity. I'm paying over $300/day for our cruise and some basic services other than a bed to sleep in should be included in that cost. 

If gratuities are optional, it's fair to only tip for services I care to use.

4 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

If gratuities are optional, it's fair to only tip for services I care to use.

I hope you are ready for some "feedback".

Biker, who may rethink the tip on this thread.🍿

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, springfire said:

Tip the way it works best for you!   I never worry when I am eating out if someone else tips or doesn't tip and  I don't think twice about it on a cruise ship who tips and doesn't tip.  I simply don't care.  I don't agree with a lot of what you say but respect your opinion.  I for one would never prepay a tip and prefer to tip directly and not give my tip money to the cruise line and let them decide who they will share it with.  This is why we have choices.

Many people don't understand what goes on behind the scenes.  For example, you like to hand the tip directly to the waiter.  That's fine.  But do you think, the tip stops in his hand?  No it does not.  Remember, my statement that 30 years ago, the waiter tipped back-wards?  It still happens, even if you tip him direct.  Cruise lines have a formula that you do not see.  The expectation that each tipped employee will receive cash is part of the formula.  The tipping culture on the ship, will always pay those that do not receive cash direct.  It is only a belief that keeps these threads alive.  So whatever choice you make, the end results are the same. 

18 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

When I visit a full service restaurant I'm expecting the server to perform to an acceptable standard, and I expect to pay an additional 20% for that service. I don't expect to pay any additional for the cooks, dishwashers, busboys, etc. That's baked in (no pun intended) to the cost of the food. I don't tip at McDonalds, nor do I tip the hot food server at the grocery store. 

You actually are doing exactly what you think you are not doing.  Servers often "backward tip" the other helpers. 

18 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

If gratuities are optional, it's fair to only tip for services I care to use.

3 minutes ago, invision said:

So you are saying that RCCL tells the waiter who gets a cash tip that they have to tip backwards and there is a formula?  Hmm

Yes that is what I am saying.  This practice has been going on for decades.  The same practice also happens in restaurants around the USA.  The auto tips, only make it easier.  Removing the auto tips, only makes it harder on the employees.  At the end of the day, as I said in my original statement, that I don't care what happens behind the scenes.  I tip the recommended amount, and let them figure out the rest. Everyone is happy, and I will have a great vacation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

When I visit a full service restaurant I'm expecting the server to perform to an acceptable standard, and I expect to pay an additional 20% for that service. I don't expect to pay any additional for the cooks, dishwashers, busboys, etc. That's baked in (no pun intended) to the cost of the food.

Not quite correct.    The amount you tip your server is shared with the back of the house.   How much they need to cut varies from restaurant to restaurant but both wait staff and bartenders share their tips with others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Many people don't understand what goes on behind the scenes.  For example, you like to hand the tip directly to the waiter.  That's fine.  But do you think, the tip stops in his hand?  No it does not.  Remember, my statement that 30 years ago, the waiter tipped back-wards?  It still happens, even if you tip him direct.  Cruise lines have a formula that you do not see.  The expectation that each tipped employee will receive cash is part of the formula.  The tipping culture on the ship, will always pay those that do not receive cash direct.  It is only a belief that keeps these threads alive.  So whatever choice you make, the end results are the same. 

As a former Norwegian deckhand of both the Starward and Nordic Prince back in the 70's and 80's, I have a good understanding how tips use to work.  Today's cruise ships care only about profit as they are responsible to report profits back to their share holders.  Again, I respect your opinion and your right to tip as you see fit but I also don't agree with most of your views.  I will continue to tip the way I believe is right as I am sure you will do as well..

Just now, invision said:

Sharing backward is fine.  How much the house takes is the issue with prepaid/auto gratuities.

M

I am not trying to flame with this question, but I must ask...   Other than being suspicious, why do you think the house takes a cut of the auto gratuity?   Do you have evidence of such?   If so, I would go to an all cash tip method as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Someone will marry this thread with the "chair hogs.":classic_biggrin:

How much should I tip the pool attendant to hog as many chairs as I desire?

Sometimes I want shade, other times I want sun, sometime I like a breeze, other times not.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

Not quite correct.    The amount you tip your server is shared with the back of the house.   How much they need to cut varies from restaurant to restaurant but both wait staff and bartenders share their tips with others.

I'm not paying extra for the back of house. That's an optional gratuity the server pays based on the level of service they receive. I'll base my gratuities on the level of service I receive; not based on a promise the cruise lines made to their employees.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

I'm not paying extra for the back of house. That's an optional gratuity the server pays based on the level of service they receive. I'll base my gratuities on the level of service I receive; not based on a promise the cruise lines made to their employees.

You are tipping back of the house at any restaurant you go to whether you think you are or not.   It is not an optional activity for the wait staff or bartender.   It is a job requirement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

You are tipping back of the house at any restaurant you go to whether you think you are or not.   It is not an optional activity for the wait staff or bartender.   It is a job requirement.

It's just that so many people think they are helping, and believe they are helping when in fact, they are just complicating the process. 

The conspiracy folks think RCCL steals the money.  Others think that giving directly to one person, that they keep it all. 

So, if a process is not in place to distribute the share of tips, and everyone gives cash, than they will loose all the hard working people you don't see that are helping your enjoyment, right? 

Another thing I learned.  If you ask anyone on the ship, if they get to keep the tip, than the answer is always yes.  It's a simple reason, why they answer yes.  They have a obligation to take your money and as much of it as they can, and if they think it makes you happy that they are getting it all, than that's what they will tell you!

Just like you, I'm handing over my tips, and how and to whom it goes to after I make my donation, is irrelevant.  They are happy, and I got a great vacation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

True!

Depending on the establishment, the amount tipped back is usually in the 20-30% range although it can go as high as 50%. The waiter rarely gets to keep the whole tip for themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, Joseph2017China said:

It's just that so many people think they are helping, and believe they are helping when in fact, they are just complicating the process. 

The conspiracy folks think RCCL steals the money.  Others think that giving directly to one person, that they keep it all. 

So, if a process is not in place to distribute the share of tips, and everyone gives cash, than they will loose all the hard working people you don't see that are helping your enjoyment, right? 

Another thing I learned.  If you ask anyone on the ship, if they get to keep the tip, than the answer is always yes.  It's a simple reason, why they answer yes.  They have a obligation to take your money and as much of it as they can, and if they think it makes you happy that they are getting it all, than that's what they will tell you!

Just like you, I'm handing over my tips, and how and to whom it goes to after I make my donation, is irrelevant.  They are happy, and I got a great vacation. 

And in the end, frankly, to each his own.   I once told my CEO....."It's not my job to make the decisions.   It's my job to make sure YOU make the decision fully informed and with the most accurate information possible."       When I opine on topics like this, its not to get someone to try and change their mind, its to try and make available what is truth.    Truth is tips are shared.  Truth is the back of the house does as much to make your experience a good one as the waiter or bartender you come in contact with.   With that information, folks can choose what ever course of action makes them happy. 

• Like 1