Drivers License ID Required in Oct. 2020 for Domestic Flights

zorrosuncle

Hi --In Oct. 2020 it will be necessary to have a real or enhanced drivers license to board any domestic flight in the U.S.  Sometimes I need to take a domestic flight to the west coast, rest a night and then take an International flight to my embarkation  destination.  Shouldn't my passport be enough id to get me on the domestic flight?  I don;'t want to pay New York State their pricey fee.  They are rather vague about what is the law.

ZU

Your passport will work just fine.

always has, always will.

old news.

OTOH, if you want to use your drivers license, the regular and the Real ID NY drivers license are the same price.  The only upcharge is the fee to have an Enhanced DL.

Without a Real ID license you could have difficulty entering various Federal facilities (like a courthouse).

Edited by thinfool

Just be on the lookout for some TSA smurfs who take things a little too literally: "you must show me a Real ID drivers license" - when you show them your passport... (like those who are told they need to show a passport when they present their New Mexico DL at TSA or are told their Global Entry card is not a government ID) 😉

On 1/1/2019 at 12:30 PM, slidergirl said:

Just be on the lookout for some TSA smurfs who take things a little too literally: "you must show me a Real ID drivers license" - when you show them your passport... (like those who are told they need to show a passport when they present their New Mexico DL at TSA or are told their Global Entry card is not a government ID) 😉

“Smurfs” ?  Is that a descriptive term for the agents or their supervisors? 

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

“Smurfs” ?  Is that a descriptive term for the agents or their supervisors? 

It started a LONG time ago on FlyerTalk.  The blue shirts - Smurf-colored.   Kind of a comical bunch - you have your "barkers", your "power trippers", the "falling asleep at the X-ray" people, the chiefs, and a few convicted pedophiles,  recruited at times from the TSA ads on the top of pizza boxes at some locations (yes, they did), English skills not needed and only a GED requirement, failing the secret testing at checkpoints over 90% of the time, to be in charge of our "safety" at airports.  

And "Kippie bag" as the term for that quart baggie - in "honor"of Kip Hawley, the TSA administrator who instituted the need for us to shove stuff in a quart baggie.