Theme nights

Will be on the Serenade of the sea,  going to the Eastern Caribbean on the 1st Feb, but the cruise company won't give out any information on their Themed night! How silly is that! Surely the company would want people to dress up! I know there will be formal nights but it's the fun ones I want to know about.  I have done crusies with NCL,MSC and  P& O and knew what theme night before we boarded! 

Has anyone done this cruise and can enlighten me?

Not sure I am going to like this company! They never answer emails either!

Theme nights can vary from ship to ship and even cruise to cruise. RCI has several different theme nights but not all of them will be on every cruise. Some of the ones I have seen are; Disco, Country & Western, Caribbean, White Out etc. If you want to make sure you have the proper attire for at least one theme night, bring your 70's disco outfit. I have seen the 70's disco party on EVERY RCI cruise that I have been on,

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

...  I have seen the 70's disco party on EVERY RCI cruise that I have been on,

I agree, the 70's disco thing seems to be on every cruise, however I rarely see anyone but the entertainment staff dressed in  70's garb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Theme nights are popular on most lines. I could never understand why the cruise lines l never informs other passengers of these activities. They could do so in one of the many emails they are sending out along the way. 

We've only cruised RCI & Celebrity and have always wondered about this.  We're usually struggling to get all the necessary dining attire into our bags, not sure if we could fit our platforms & bell bottoms in there, too, but it'd be worth a try. Do any of the other lines let passengers know ahead of time about theme nights?  

8 hours ago, KatWoman92 said:

We've only cruised RCI & Celebrity and have always wondered about this.  We're usually struggling to get all the necessary dining attire into our bags, not sure if we could fit our platforms & bell bottoms in there, too, but it'd be worth a try. Do any of the other lines let passengers know ahead of time about theme nights?  

I. Crusised Celebrity and Princess. The only way that I knew of any theme nights is if someone mentioned it on Cruise Critic. 70’s seems to be the only one that I’ve noticed on board any lines. Having lived through it once I have no intention of reliving it. Also I could barely get into the Sergio Valenete and Jordach jeans then. I’m not about to attempt it 40 years later while on a cruise surrounded by food.

It does seem that with each cruise I take, more and more passengers are getting dressed for 70's dance party.  Nowhere near the majority but a sizable number.

On my Nov 2018 sailing on Liberty, it might have been close to 20-25%. Maybe b/c many people drive to the ship, they don't mind the extra packing?

On 1/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, Host Clarea said:

I agree, the 70's disco thing seems to be on every cruise, however I rarely see anyone but the entertainment staff dressed in  70's garb.

From your avatar, it looks like you lived the 70s.  And in that case, WHY would anyone voluntarily dress that way???? 😄

What does drive me nuts, is that for the 50s show, the entertainers dress from Grease.  Except Grease is from the 70s, just depicting the 50s. 🙂

But it is strange that they will not tell people ahead of time the themes, so they can plan for them.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

But it is strange that they will not tell people ahead of time the themes, so they can plan for them.

I think no one is better than Royal at knowing their limitations to accurate and timely communications.

18 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I think no one is better than Royal at knowing their limitations to accurate and timely communications.

That says a LOT. 😄 😄 😄

But I don't want months in advance, but maybe a week before the cruise.

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

That says a LOT. 😄 😄 😄

But I don't want months in advance, but maybe a week before the cruise.

Honestly how hard would it be to list events in the cruise planner.  It' not like they change things up and they don't have to list the day or time.  Every line has their version of some 70's game show that they beat to death. Carnival has had the hairy chest contest since my first cruise in 1986. I'm sure that those who sail on any particular cruise line regularly knows the events like the back of their hand. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Honestly how hard would it be to list events in the cruise planner.  It' not like they change things up and they don't have to list the day or time.  Every line has their version of some 70's game show that they beat to death. Carnival has had the hairy chest contest since my first cruise in 1986. I'm sure that those who sail on any particular cruise line regularly knows the events like the back of their hand. 

I agree, it seems it would not be that difficult.  However, Royal tried and then gave up.

When the Oasis class first came out, they had pre-cruise entertainment reservations, a new concept for Royal.  They published the show schedule which went out to 6-8 weeks in advance.  People were able to choose dining times with the knowledge of show times, a seemingly logical arrangement.  I forget how long that lasted, at least a year, maybe longer.  One day we noticed that the PDF link had stopped being updated, no explanation.  The next website change, the PDF link was gone.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:21 AM, Host Clarea said:

Probably because the rest of us got rid of our 70's disco garb 30 years ago. Dressing for the White Hot party is much easier to do.