Canceled my Apex cruise

andymattmom

When we were on the Equinox In November we purchased Future Cruise certificates- met people from Europe who said a Mediterranean cruise was something we had to do. Purchased certificates, booked the Apex for August 2020. I had booked an aft cabin with $300 OBC ( from certificate and choice from the go best). It was about $6200.

Last week I started reading about MSC cruises- mainly their Yacht Club. I just booked an interior ( we aren’t in cabin that much and with the public areas of the Yacht Club we will be good) for $2800 for similar itinerary and same number of days as Apex. We get unlimited drinks, premium bottled water, private restaurant, Butler, concierge, priority boarding, private sundeck and pool, private restaurant and everything including cabins are in a private area ( only those with cabins in the YC can enter). I received a 10% discount for teaching (I substitute and just had to send a copy of my teaching license). We are on the Seaview which comes out this year. 

As with Celebrity we’ve read good and bad reviews. It seems so many Americans complain about small food portions and the cultural differences since MSC is European line. For the price difference and huge upgrades we are going to try MSC. 

We like Celebrity so it will be a new experience. Celebrity was very good about cancellation. 

43 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

When we were on the Equinox In November we purchased Future Cruise certificates- met people from Europe who said a Mediterranean cruise was something we had to do. Purchased certificates, booked the Apex for August 2020. I had booked an aft cabin with $300 OBC ( from certificate and choice from the go best). It was about $6200.

Last week I started reading about MSC cruises- mainly their Yacht Club. I just booked an interior ( we aren’t in cabin that much and with the public areas of the Yacht Club we will be good) for $2800 for similar itinerary and same number of days as Apex. We get unlimited drinks, premium bottled water, private restaurant, Butler, concierge, priority boarding, private sundeck and pool, private restaurant and everything including cabins are in a private area ( only those with cabins in the YC can enter). I received a 10% discount for teaching (I substitute and just had to send a copy of my teaching license). We are on the Seaview which comes out this year. 

As with Celebrity we’ve read good and bad reviews. It seems so many Americans complain about small food portions and the cultural differences since MSC is European line. For the price difference and huge upgrades we are going to try MSC. 

We like Celebrity so it will be a new experience. Celebrity was very good about cancellation. 

Sounds like you are cashing in on something that might be great for your situation.  I have yet to try MSC, but I certainly would not rule it out at all.  Furthermore, YC would certainly be my choice too!  Hope it works out for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andymattmom said:

Thanks for the heads up. I sailed on MSC years and years ago.  I've read about the new Ships and Yacht Club, so thanks for posting the detailed info. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can perfectly understand you wanting to try MSC YC for that difference in price (there have been a few X cruisers recently who have moved over to the YC). Europe is port intensive so your extra cash will definitely be well spent on excursions. Enjoy your cruise and come back to the boards after the sailing with your review 😉.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We decided to try MSC later this year in the YC in one of the Dulux Suites. The cost for 10 days was £4,200. For a Sky Suite for the same duration Celebrity wanted over £10,000. At that price differential we can put up with a lot.

And this is after 20 cruises in a row with Celebrity. 

Edited by Gordoncruickshank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We decided to try MSC later this year in the YC in one of the Dulux Suites. The cost for 10 days was £4,200. For a Sky Suite for the same duration Celebrity wanted over £10,000. At that price differential we can put up with a lot.

And this is after 20 cruises in a row with Celebrity. 

Wow - what a difference 😮! Which itinerary is it on MSC?

13 minutes ago, villauk said:

Wow - what a difference 😮! Which itinerary is it on MSC?

It is in the Med out of Barcelona on 18th October on the Preziosa. No real idea where it goes. Been in all the ports in that area a number of times before. It is not showing on the MSC site but you can find it on Seasc**ner. I checked yesterday and there was still on of the suites available. That is typical of the pricing.

I have had a look for cruises in September/October 2020 but there are none of the length we want to do. May have to look at b2b. We are taking the view that if it is terrible we don't need to go back but at that price it looks a great deal.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago, We did MSC in the Caribbean in our usual cheap seats.  Regardless of the line or ship, we ALWAYS select inside or OV cabins - whatever is required to get the perks we want or the cheapest overall price with and alcohol package.  Hell, we usually do guarantee cabins.  Don't even get a balcony unless it's a free upgrade.  (Yes, we can afford more.  We just don't see any need.)

Obviously, we're not doing the YC.  But in 25+ cruises on 7 different cruise lines, the Divina was the MOST beautiful ship we ever sailed (in a non-traditional way).  The entertainment was more sophisticated, and we very much enjoyed it.  To our tastes, the food in the MDR and, particularly, the buffet was excellent.  A little more upscale - prosciutto in addition to regular ham.  Best MDR coffee ever.  

given the right pricing and itinerary, we wouldn't hesitate to return.

3 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

It is in the Med out of Barcelona on 18th October on the Preziosa. No real idea where it goes. Been in all the ports in that area a number of times before. It is not showing on the MSC site but you can find it on Seasc**ner. I checked yesterday and there was still on of the suites available. That is typical of the pricing.

I will give you a heads up on the Preziosa Yacht Club as we are on her in 6 weeks time.  A deal too good to be true, included flights from Gatwick with 14 nights with no sea days at less than £5K.

Your sailing appears to be directed at the German Market, it's not available to the UK, you are brave.......

8 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I will give you a heads up on the Preziosa Yacht Club as we are on her in 6 weeks time.  A deal too good to be true, included flights from Gatwick with 14 nights with no sea days at less than £5K.

Your sailing appears to be directed at the German Market, it's not available to the UK, you are brave.......

Thanks you. I will look forward to that.

We managed to book this via a UK travel agent with no issues but it does seem to have disappeared from the UK web site recently. Originally there were 4 of us but one of our friends who was on the Silhouette with us has had to pull out on health grounds so it is now just the two of us although a separate group of friends were trying to book the cruise. I pointed them towards a site that showed availability, but I do not know if the managed to book it. I will find out in a weeks time. 

I found the cruise by browsing around when I wanted to go and had heard good things about the yacht club. October will be here soon enough but we have 21 nights on the Silhouette starting in February. 

We also have booked the balcony YC for next year on MSC on the Seaview.  We were impressed that the YC  includes the mini bar in the room and the fact that they match loyalty status points from other cruise lines.  That made us a Gold member giving us extra perks.

Gordoncruickshank,  we just returned from a B2B Silhouette Cruise, same itinerary as yours. A little too close to Christmas really as it was a rather hectic on our return home. We had a great time, but standards have deteriorated primarily due to too many experienced staff being transferred to Edge. We ate in Murano every evening so it goes without saying that the food and service were exceptional although the restaurant was under more pressure than we’ve previously experienced. It was full almost every evening.  The ocean view cafe has definitely deteriorated and lacked variety, too much of the same daily.

A big change you will notice is that all the outside deck sun beds have all been renewed, no padded cushions, very uncomfortable down grade for sure and are packed very tightly together, reminiscent of P&O.

Celebrity pricing strategy has probably ruled us out for the immediate future due to their continuous deterioration of quality with significantly increased costs, not good.

I am sure you will enjoy and would be interested in your view of where Celebrity is headed............?

Edited by mickey89

2 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Gordoncruickshank,  we just returned from a B2B Silhouette Cruise, same itinerary as yours. A little too close to Christmas really as it was a rather hectic on our return home. We had a great time, but standards have deteriorated primarily due to too many experienced staff being transferred to Edge. We ate in Murano every evening so it goes without saying that the food and service were exceptional although the restaurant was under more pressure than we’ve previously experienced. It was full almost every evening.  The ocean view cafe has definitely deteriorated and lacked variety, too much of the same daily.

A big change you will notice is that all the outside deck sun beds have all been renewed, no padded cushions, very uncomfortable down grade for sure and are packed very tightly together, reminiscent of P&O.

Celebrity pricing strategy has probably ruled us out for the immediate future due to their continuous deterioration of quality with significantly increased costs, not good.

I am sure you will enjoy and would be interested in your view of where Celebrity is headed............?

Thanks for letting me know what issues you had. I will let you know what we experience.

We always cruise in February and March. I can’t do January as I work in tax in the UK although I am close to that not mattering any more. Hopefully the Edge migration will have settled down by then. We were on the Silhouette in October so there will be some stilll there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, jkgourmet said:

A few years ago, We did MSC in the Caribbean in our usual cheap seats.  Regardless of the line or ship, we ALWAYS select inside or OV cabins - whatever is required to get the perks we want or the cheapest overall price with and alcohol package.  Hell, we usually do guarantee cabins.  Don't even get a balcony unless it's a free upgrade.  (Yes, we can afford more.  We just don't see any need.)

Obviously, we're not doing the YC.  But in 25+ cruises on 7 different cruise lines, the Divina was the MOST beautiful ship we ever sailed (in a non-traditional way).  The entertainment was more sophisticated, and we very much enjoyed it.  To our tastes, the food in the MDR and, particularly, the buffet was excellent.  A little more upscale - prosciutto in addition to regular ham.  Best MDR coffee ever.  

given the right pricing and itinerary, we wouldn't hesitate to return. 

jkgourmet - we sailed on the Divina on a Caribbean/Central America cruise in 2014.  I echo your comments.  She is a gorgeous ship.  We've been doing Celebrity lately (2 more cruises planned), but wouldn't hesitate to do MSC.  We did enjoy being a minority, and the slightly different variety of food served - nothing was off-putting to us.

• Like 1