Transfers Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale hotel

The Odd Couple

We are Brits and I know transfer companies say their drivers will wait 2 hours after an international flight lands for passengers to arrive.  We have been known to spend 2 hours in Security in the past so my question is - does anyone have any experience of booking a transfer at Miami and then being charged extra for failing to meet their driver before the 2 hour timeline has elapsed?  I have looked in Florida Departures but can't see anything that addresses this question directly, so thanks for any help.  

1 hour ago, The Odd Couple said:

We are Brits and I know transfer companies say their drivers will wait 2 hours after an international flight lands for passengers to arrive.  We have been known to spend 2 hours in Security in the past so my question is - does anyone have any experience of booking a transfer at Miami and then being charged extra for failing to meet their driver before the 2 hour timeline has elapsed?  I have looked in Florida Departures but can't see anything that addresses this question directly, so thanks for any help.  

We always use Larrys Limos . After the hassle of immigration it's lovely to have someone standing with your name on a placard and no hassle queuing for a taxi. You can book on their website or just email them. They take your flight number and are fully aware that you will have a wait in immigration so I doubt they arrive at your exact arrival time. You can always tell them you want your booking to start from say an hour after you land if it helps.  We have been delayed up to two hours and never been charged extra. You will be given a quote for the fare including a tip and although it might cost a little more than a shuttle, who wants to drive around to other hotels when all you want is to get to yours and start your holiday!  We're off in just under two weeks and can't wait ! 

1 hour ago, dazey said:

We always take a cab from the airport to hotel.  It avoids me being nervous about being late or not finding the driver.  I think it was under $30 or less.

We flew in from London Heathrow on 15 December 2018 and took a yellow cab from the Miami airport to the Renaissance Cruise Port Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. The cost was $83. Roughly what we expected having looked at the guide rates on the official Miami Int' airport site.

I will be doing the same journey next October and very happy using a yellow cab again.  

The cab ride from the hotel to Terminal 25 (for the Edge) was only $12.

Edited by Esprit

35 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

Our quote with Larrys is $94 including tip. I think the earlier response was referring to a trip from the airport to a Miami hotel maybe. It's almost $20 from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the Port Everglades! 

Probably

It is around $35 from the airport to South Beach.

hotelI responded to this initial email that the cab from airport to Ft. Lauderdale hotel was about $30.  I was thinking it was the Ft. Lauderdale airport.  Cab would be much more expensive.  Thanks for catching my error.

8 minutes ago, jody75 said:

I think YOU are mixing up the airports !  

Sorry I am not. We have stayed in the Hilton at Blue Lagoon a number of times and the fixed fare to South Beach was around what I quoted and the only reason for my post was as a comparison with the post which quoted $30 (which the poster has indicated was wrong after my post).

We travelled to Hyatt Place 17th St from Miami Airport last month using Rideways - flight was delayed by over two hours but driver was there on arrival.  Cost was around £55-£60 for an executive car - was around £5 for a standard car.  Nice trip and he met us on arrival, took us to the car park then fetched the car to the nearest point of the car park to the terminal building.

Coming back to a Miami Airport hotel from the cruise port, an Uber was $56 plus tip I believe and arrived within 5 minutes of being requested.  For some reason Rideways was coming in at around £80 for this trip

We will be renting a car next February - far more cheaper, and easy to drop of at the port as well.

A driver approached us once in the airport last year and we negotiated a discount to take us to Fort Lauderdale. 

We even rent a car upon return (for a same day flight in the evening), we walk off the ship so we can leave early and this allows us to drive to Miami, have some sun/shopping/eating before driving to the airport for our flight home.

Following along ! We will be making the same journey in November! 

We we were planning on renting a car as we arrive on Thanksgiving so I’m assuming Uber’s and Cabs will be very expensive!

travelling from Ireland so unsure what will be open on thanksgiving 

No really answering your question but when I fly into MIA and need to get to Ft Lauderdale I simply rent a car.  It's cheap and with GPS also very easy.  Perhaps after a flight across the pond you'd rather not try driving in Florida but it is worth considering.  Another benefit is that when you return the rental they normally provide a free shuttle to the pier.

5 hours ago, amitje said:

We will be renting a car next February - far more cheaper, and easy to drop of at the port as well.

A driver approached us once in the airport last year and we negotiated a discount to take us to Fort Lauderdale. 

We even rent a car upon return (for a same day flight in the evening), we walk off the ship so we can leave early and this allows us to drive to Miami, have some sun/shopping/eating before driving to the airport for our flight home.

1 hour ago, RickT said:

No really answering your question but when I fly into MIA and need to get to Ft Lauderdale I simply rent a car.  It's cheap and with GPS also very easy.  Perhaps after a flight across the pond you'd rather not try driving in Florida but it is worth considering.  Another benefit is that when you return the rental they normally provide a free shuttle to the pier.

We do the same - just did it last weekend.  National does not charge extra (or if they do it is minimal) to pick up at one airport and drop off at the other.

Btw - I don't believe they still have the shuttles from FLL to Port Everglades.  We had to take a cab after dropping the car (although we always drop off our luggage first).  National does have a shuttle from MIA to Port of Miami.

Mike

We used Uber in November; cost was about $40; not sure as we had a first-time user coupon that discounted the price.  It was from a Miami airport hotel to Port Everglades.

We have also used Larry's Limos; very nice but of course pricier.  We have also used Super Shuttle, but I don't think it services Miami Intl.