Miami Question

4thgrade

1 hour ago, 4thgrade said:

I am arriving by plane at 6:00 am, and my cruise begins boarding at 11:00.  Any info, ideas or suggestions on what to to do?  I have no idea as to the crowds or boarding process in Miami!  Thank you!

We've never had an issue with the POM. Our most recent was a B2B cruise on the Equinox March/April 2018 out of the POM and was on the ship at 10:55 AM. By the time your plane lands and starts disembarkation it will be after 6:00 AM. Take your time getting off the plane, stop at the restroom, stop at one of the shops and grab a snack, leisurely stroll down to baggage claim, stand back until you see your luggage and once you have your luggage call someone and let them now you arrived safely. Go outside and grab a taxi. You may even have to wait for a taxi.  It's approximately a 15 minute taxi ride to the POM. Once at the POM find a porter for the Equinox. If they are taking luggage give your luggage to the porter and get in line or start a line. I'll bet there just might be others waiting before you. I have no experience with this as we always do a pre-cruise stay but are always at the cruise terminal early.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4thgrade said:

Any info, ideas or suggestions on what to to do?

Boarding in Miami was pretty easy for us. We'd get there 11-1130 and be on board around noon.

Now, what to do in Miami for a few hours... a lot depends on your luggage situation, as carrying that around Miami is a pain. You could go to a breakfast place (I know, because you're definitely going to starve on a cruise :classic_blink:) and get some Cuban coffee and some breakfast (standard tourist places are Versaillles and Latin American Cafe -- although I'm not sure they are open at 6am). Or, if you are Amex Platinum, hang out in the airport at the Centurion Lounge. Or, if you want to go to Miami Beach and get breakfast on Ocean Drive, that is good. If you want a very nice Science Museum, the Frost is great. Opened about a year ago. On everything, check the hours of operation as I'm not sure what's open very early. Enjoy your sailing and Miami!

On 1/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, Provence55always said:

Any ideas for the day we disembark. Our flight is not out of Mimia until 17.15😎. Unfortunately we will have two large suitcases. We were wondering would a Resort Day at a hotel be a nice idea. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Try posting this on the Florida destination board.  I'm sure you will get plenty of options.  Or a least one or two.:)

4 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Thank you. I have only just found that destination board! Looks like we will taxi to Miami airport and book a day room. The Marriott looks nice. It's has an outdoor heated pool and shuttle to the airport. 

I can recommend the EB Hotel at Miami Airport, the rooms used for day rooms are the deluxe suites and they're huge. Nice quiet pool outside as well with comfortable loungers, we had it to ourselves just before Christmas

Use the ship luggage valet service after your cruise and they will handle getting your luggage checked in with the airport to your final return destination for  a $25.00 service fee per bag.  Great for hands free exploring in Miami.  You can catch the free shuttle from the pier to Bayside if interested in that area.  Good restaurants in walking distance from Bayside.  We then use the airport flyer to get back to the airport which is less than $3.00 per person to use.  

41 minutes ago, like2cruise said:

Use the ship luggage valet service after your cruise and they will handle getting your luggage checked in with the airport to your final return destination for  a $25.00 service fee per bag.  Great for hands free exploring in Miami.  You can catch the free shuttle from the pier to Bayside if interested in that area.  Good restaurants in walking distance from Bayside.  We then use the airport flyer to get back to the airport which is less than $3.00 per person to use.  

That’s gone up then. We paid $25 per person for Luggage Valet. Best $50 we spent on the cruise

11 hours ago, like2cruise said:

That would perfect but not available for International. We are flying to Dublin. Thanks

15 hours ago, Provence55always said:

That’s sounds great. Did you book direct with hotel?

Yes, they're very responsive to emails and they even price-matched one of the day room comparison site rates.  I think we got the room for $105 plus taxes, came to about $117 total.  That is for payment on the day and I think cancellation up to 24 hours beforehand.  The bathroom is about the size of a standard stateroom on a ship!

The airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes on the hour and half-hour but in our experience, if you're on the shuttle at 20-25 past, they will check for any other waiting guests then just take you round.  Only 5 minutes or so to the terminal

On 1/4/2019 at 1:21 PM, gold1953 said:

You don't want to be at the port before the other cruise disembarks. Maybe rent a car and go for breakfast. Then you have your luggage under control in your trunk

Fully agree.  Having a car would allow you to go somewhere for breakfast and/or perhaps take a walk along the beach in South Beach before dropping off the car and having them shuttle you to the pier.  No need to arrive too early at the pier just to wait.