Help with room selection and excursions on Coral Princess

cycruise2day

First time cruiser here, going from Whittier to Vancouver this summer - me, 2 sisters and our 92-yo Dad. I'm pretty close to booking. We're definitely getting 2 rooms with balconies, possibly a mini-suite. I understand from browsing that the bumpouts have smaller balconies. Couple of us have mild motion sickness, but hope that with meds if needed we can combat that. I saw a comment that the mini-suites on Caribe far forward are very nice with a great view over the bow, but I'm a little concerned that there might be too much up and down, or noise from anchor, etc. Is Caribe high enough up that we won't have that noise?

Rooms I'm considering are either mini-suites C211 and C209, or balconies C605 and C609. 

Also wondering if anyone has particular recommendations for excursions. My dad is in great health for a 92-yo, but he is 92. Not used to too much up and down, but he does walk a mile a day as exercise and still climbs short ladders (with his daughters yelling at him as he does it...). We're going on this "while he's still young" - to a place in the west he's never been to. We're going to do a self-driving 3 day trip before to Denali (he loves car trips and still drives, although I'll be driving on this). I love the outdoors and hiking, but obviously that has to be limited. He loves the outdoors too, as well as history.

Thanks in advance!

Well.as far as excursions go...what does HE want to do?  You might find his want list is doable on your own, without an "excursion"!  Do some research into your ports, and figure out what is doable on your own, and what isn't.  Paying the ship for a good time is NOT your only option, you know!

As far as cabin placement, forward does experience the most motion...think of a "see-saw"...the ends move more than the middle.  A cabin midship is more stable.

• 2 weeks later...

The Coral is a great ship and taking it to AK is fabulous.  I can get motion sick while driving so I know how you all feel.  I like mini suites and we always get them aft and I am good.  NEVER get them in front since you feel it much more up there, IMHO.  I did it once and was miserable.

I also start taking Meclizine prior to starting the cruise and every night.  And I also bring ginger chews as well.

maybe the train in Skagway for a shore excursion?  Also whale watching.

enjoy!!!

I've done the Coral Princess Alaska itinerary twice and by far our favorite cabins are the mini-suites on Dolphin deck in the D-7XX series of cabins.  They are far aft, quiet, and most importantly for an Alaska cruise, they are fully covered.  As an added bonus :classic_smile: the laundry is nearby.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I booked 2 balcony rooms mid-ship on Caribe, not too far from each other. I feel relieved, as good rooms are getting scarce on the particular cruise and dates. We're all very excited!

Definitely  looking at the train in Skagway (especially because we're not taking the Princess train to Denali). We're going in July; is there whale watching then? I think he could even do a short dog sledding thing; I'll have to look into that.

Edited by cycruise2day

The train in Skagway is great (we've done it twice with 2 different sets of relatives; everyone enjoyed it).  We used Chilkoot both times and would highly recommend them.  Since you said your Dad is interested in history, he may enjoy a visit to the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park Visitor Center in 'downtown' Skagway.  I would guess that it is less than a 1 mile walk from the docks.  If you have an excursion with Chilkoot returning to Skagway in a van, it has been our experience that they drive through town on the return and offer to drop passengers off wherever they want.

We've done whale watching in Juneau twice too, once in early July and once in early August.  There we used Harv and Marv the first time (there were enough of us for a private boat) and Juneau Whale Watch the second time (when we were paying for our 2 kids and spouses since it was cheaper :classic_smile:).  Everyone had a great time on both excursions and on the Harv and Marv excursion the first week in August we saw lots of bubble net feeding but none in early July (I have no idea if that is a common difference between whale watching in early July versus early August). 

I'm glad you got balcony cabins since you can wildlife watch right off your balcony.  Last summer we saw 3 orcas and a puffin very close to our ship when exiting Glacier Bay.  Make sure you bring binoculars!