1st time cruising

GoffCruise

We are looking at booking our first cruise. Neither my husband or myself have ever cruised before. We have 3 older kids coming, ages 16,18,24. We have been comparing RCI and Carnival boats going to Carribean or Bahamas. My husband likes the look of the RCI’s private island. But I do notice their prices are higher than Carnival. Is RCI better? We want a ship with plenty of choices for entertainment/activities. Also, I do get some motion sickness from things like rollercoasters and long car rides in a back seat. So I’m concerned about sea sickness.

Any recommendations for cruise line or ship to take or not take? Or what one does if you get sea sick? 

Thanks in advance! 

Both cruise lines are great for families.  I have been on many on both lines.  Do you have a ship in mind?   Oasis class for RC has tons and tons of things to do for everyone in the family.  My kids LOVE the Oasis class.  (they are older than your children).  BUT...they also have a great time on Carnival.  You really cannot go wrong with either.

• Thanks 1

I'm very prone to motion sickness in cars, but I don't get seasick. Go figure on that. You might be lucky on that too. If not, then midships cabins get less motion. Midship cabin on a lower deck might be a good choice for you just in case. You might bring some over the counter motion sickness meds, if these work for you for other types of motion sickness. Ginger helps. Fresh air always helps me with motion sickness, so if you get queasy you might try going outside. If you're really concerned, see your doctor and ask him or her for advice and/or a prescription.

• Thanks 1

Oh...as far as being seasick.  My oldest son gets violently ill on ships.  He has been taking Bonine (over the counter) for many years and works like a charm.  It can make you a little drowsy (especially if you drink)....so take it at night before you go to bed..EVERY night and start taking it the day before your cruise begins.

3 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Both cruise lines are great for families.  I have been on many on both lines.  Do you have a ship in mind?   Oasis class for RC has tons and tons of things to do for everyone in the family.  My kids LOVE the Oasis class.  (they are older than your children).  BUT...they also have a great time on Carnival.  You really cannot go wrong with either.

Thanks for your reply! We were looking at RCI’s Mariner of the Seas or Carnival’s Magic. 

Have you considered sailing out of New Jersey or Baltimore, rather than flying to Florida?  If you are cruising during the summer -- school holidays -- weather should not be a problem.

Baltimore has both Carnival and RC ships, with varying itineraries.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Have you considered sailing out of New Jersey or Baltimore, rather than flying to Florida?  If you are cruising during the summer -- school holidays -- weather should not be a problem.

Baltimore has both Carnival and RC ships, with varying itineraries.

We were actually thinking of doing a few nights in Orlando before the cruise.  

29 minutes ago, GoffCruise said:

We are looking at booking our first cruise. Neither my husband or myself have ever cruised before. We have 3 older kids coming, ages 16,18,24. We have been comparing RCI and Carnival boats going to Carribean or Bahamas. My husband likes the look of the RCI’s private island. But I do notice their prices are higher than Carnival. Is RCI better? We want a ship with plenty of choices for entertainment/activities. Also, I do get some motion sickness from things like rollercoasters and long car rides in a back seat. So I’m concerned about sea sickness.

Any recommendations for cruise line or ship to take or not take? Or what one does if you get sea sick? 

Thanks in advance! 

I honestly can't speak TOO much to Carnival as I have only done one Carnival cruise and it was an older ship out of Long Beach. While I found the activities and entertainment lacking, I don't think it's fair to compare it to the newer ships doing Caribbean routes. 

That said, I have a TON of experience on RCCL. I noticed you are considering Mariner. She is newly refurbished, and will have a LOT to offer. Take a look at "things to do" here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/mariner-of-the-seas/things-to-do

When are you looking at cruising? The "private island" you are referring to is Cococay, and is under construction.  While it is scheduled to debut in May, it isn't supposed to be fully done until the end of the year, and there have been some delays.

As for getting seasick, the larger ships will surprise you. You may find it's not an issue. But, if it is, Meclizine solves the issue with zero side-effects for me. (I was SHOCKED to get seasick on my first cruise as I literally grew up on the water!) As others have said, mid-ship on lower decks is also best.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, payitforward said:

I honestly can't speak TOO much to Carnival as I have only done one Carnival cruise and it was an older ship out of Long Beach. While I found the activities and entertainment lacking, I don't think it's fair to compare it to the newer ships doing Caribbean routes. 

That said, I have a TON of experience on RCCL. I noticed you are considering Mariner. She is newly refurbished, and will have a LOT to offer. Take a look at "things to do" here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/mariner-of-the-seas/things-to-do

When are you looking at cruising? The "private island" you are referring to is Cococay, and is under construction.  While it is scheduled to debut in May, it isn't supposed to be fully done until the end of the year, and there have been some delays.

As for getting seasick, the larger ships will surprise you. You may find it's not an issue. But, if it is, Meclizine solves the issue with zero side-effects for me. (I was SHOCKED to get seasick on my first cruise as I literally grew up on the water!) As others have said, mid-ship on lower decks is also best.

Thanks for the info!

We are looking to cruise end of July/ early August.  I am hopeful that most of the construction will be finished. 

1 hour ago, GoffCruise said:

Thanks for the info!

We are looking to cruise end of July/ early August.  I am hopeful that most of the construction will be finished. 

I am actually planning to visit in late May. It will be interesting to see what the status is.

3 hours ago, GoffCruise said:

Thanks for your reply! We were looking at RCI’s Mariner of the Seas or Carnival’s Magic. 

A 3 or 4 night cruise is not a good choice for a first cruise. 3 or 4 nights are more or less a booze cruise/ party cruise.  Go with a Oasis class and you will not be disappointed.  Have your kids check out ships on youtube to get a feel for what there is to do..

There are PLENTY of medication to negate the effects of ocean motion.  Bonine is one, Meclazine is another.... Midship, mid deck cabin is best for sleeping.

The "private islands" are quite similar....a beach day...very nice. 

I'd rather get down into the Caribbean, but that's a 7 nighter, at least.  Bahamas are in the Atlantic...nice, but not Caribbean!

Before you book, do a bit of research on your ports.....the more you know, the better time you will have.  

Carnival's cabins are larger than RCI's... (if you're putting ALL of you in 1 cabin, go Carnival)  Ship's cabins are tight...nothing like a hotel room!        The experience is really similar.  Either/or...you'll have a good time!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

There are PLENTY of medication to negate the effects of ocean motion.  Bonine is one, Meclazine is another.... Midship, mid deck cabin is best for sleeping.

The "private islands" are quite similar....a beach day...very nice. 

I'd rather get down into the Caribbean, but that's a 7 nighter, at least.  Bahamas are in the Atlantic...nice, but not Caribbean!

Before you book, do a bit of research on your ports.....the more you know, the better time you will have.  

Carnival's cabins are larger than RCI's... (if you're putting ALL of you in 1 cabin, go Carnival)  Ship's cabins are tight...nothing like a hotel room!        The experience is really similar.  Either/or...you'll have a good time!

What is better about the Caribbean? I have never been to the Bahamas or Caribbean so I honestly don’t know.