Government shut down - will this affect my cruise in 12 days?

sprockie

On 1/14/2019 at 9:10 AM, leerathje said:

We arrived into Ft Lauderdale yesterday (Sunday) on Koningsdam and we were delayed approval to dock by 45 mins...captain said it had never happened before...ppl on board weren't happy and were yelling at HAL staff.  So sad.

Some people just should not travel if  they cannot adap;t to changes in schedules, arrivals.   That is a part of    travel.  It happens , deal with it or stay home but don't yell at persons who have no more control over the situation than you have.    Don't wreck everyone else's experience.

image.png.d105ded76875aa05d8155a5b413dc6cc.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 2

The OP who started this thread is Canadian.  They were concerned and rightfully so.  The shutdown affects ANYONE who is contemplating entering the US.

Most of us follow the news and know what the devastation is to the unpaid workers for nearly a month now.

And, anyone travelling to the US or through it is concerned or changing plans.  And, you can’t blame them one bit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

The OP who started this thread is Canadian.  They were concerned and rightfully so.  The shutdown affects ANYONE who is contemplating entering the US.

Most of us follow the news and know what the devastation is to the unpaid workers for nearly a month now.

And, anyone travelling to the US or through it is concerned or changing plans.  And, you can’t blame them one bit.

Thanks.  It is concerning.  I've never been so glad to be Canadian;). However, we hope for the best.  Hopefully by the time our cruise is over, this very unfortunate situation will be over and not have taken a turn for the worse.  Cheers!

Edited by sprockie
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 8:13 PM, sprockie said:

Thanks.  It is concerning.  I've never been so glad to be Canadian;). However, we hope for the best.  Hopefully by the time our cruise is over, this very unfortunate situation will be over and not have taken a turn for the worse.  Cheers!

It is worse, much worse.

And some people are now actually realizing the impact on their everyday life as services are not available or the economic problems of anyone whose businesses depends on the spending of government employees  in their daily lives.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

We got off a ship ini Lauderdale on January 5th and disembarking was really awful. Longest line I have ever been on. However, I flew from Ft. Lauderdale on January 8th and security was very good and no issues with TSA.

I flew back to Lauderdale  on January 14th from Philadelphia Airport and again, going through security was easy. But I imagine the controllers must be stressed even more than normal because of not getting paid and ditto for TSA. Hopefully, this will end soon.

15 minutes ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Boarded the NS 1/13  at Port Everglades and there was no issue with security.

Disembarked the NS 1/20 at Port Everglades w/early disembark. Disembark began at 7:30 and was on the park n fly shuttle at 7:50am.  

All smooth as silk......

No impact.....Remain Calm and Cruise On.....

TSA doesn’t run cruise terminal security for boarding so that won’t be impacted.   Disembarkation might be impacted as CBP does run that aspect and they are working without pay right now.   

It was only $15 more to get GLobal Entry instead of just TSA precheck over 5 years, its $3 a year. 

Bummed that our GE appointment was cancelled yesterday due to the shutdown. We have waited four months for the appointment. We are leaving for a 7 week cruise next week. Hopefully we will be able to reschedule when we return home.

I realize this is insignificant compared to 800,000 folks not getting paid. 😥

Cheers, Denise 

Edited by dchip

7 minutes ago, dchip said:

It was only $15 more to get GLobal Entry instead of just TSA precheck over 5 years, its $3 a year. 

Bummed that our GE appointment was cancelled yesterday due to the shutdown. We have waited four months for the appointment. We are leaving for a 7 week cruise next week. Hopefully we will be able to reschedule when we return home.

Cheers, Denise 

If you are going to do any International travel then GE is definitely the way to go.  Helps a bit at some cruise terminals but really helps at airports when you’re flying back to the US.   

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1

Thanks. Your quite right about the access, but I guess I’ve used up my freebies for the month!

Contingency planning of this nature and magnitude is unimaginable. Let’s all pray that the situation is resolved long before the dates mentioned in the article. 

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks. Your quite right about the access, but I guess I’ve used up my freebies for the month!

Contingency planning of this nature and magnitude is unimaginable. Let’s all pray that the situation is resolved long before the dates mentioned in the article. 

Access is controlled by a cookie that counts your visits. Delete the cookie and you can see as many articles as you want. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, idiebabe said:

At FLL Airport we have TSA Precheck and again no lines to speak of but I did get randomly selected for a "Pat Down".  Quite an interesting one, too, with Butt and Groin the targets!  First time that ever happened and like many of you here we do multi-International and Domestic Travel yearly.  

I am so glad I decided to read this thread today. I had been meaning to apply for Global Entry and then spaced it. I have now applied and I sure hope I can get it by my June cruise. 

We disembarked from Celebrity Edge on January 13 at the new Pier 25, and it was by far the fastest cruise clearance ever. We were in a mid-debark group schedule to get off at 8:15.

Passengers streamed off the ship as usual but on reaching ground level were told to open passports to the photo page as we approached a simple checkpoint. Two uniformed women stood next to two stands. The stands held facial recognition screens where you could see your reflected face as the device performed the scan - meanwhile the women took passports, and (I think, because I was facing the screen)  ran them through a reader/scanner.. It took less than a minute. The stream of people kept moving through this checkpoint apparently without a long line.

Next was baggage pickup from the neatly stacked groupings under the number signs. Then toward the exit where you headed toward the right if you had anything to declare. Otherwise, out to the street. We were in our car by 8:30. 

This was in contrast to some of our past experiences at Port Everglades where I recall getting bags first and entering a large room stuffed to the rafters with people shuffling their bags to funnel down to a few agents in booths.

i hope all the terminals have moved to this system!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, dchip said:

The shutdown affects more than just federal employees. It also affects people who work for private companies that are contracted out by the Fed Gov’t. Saw on TV last night a woman who’s a security guard at the Smithsonian. Because the museum is closed, she’s out of work, nor subject to back pay when the Gov’t reopens since she’s not a federal employee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are massive delays at the key, busy airports for connections both in the US and International flights.  The shutdown and the stress it causes has taken a toll on the air traffic controllers 😞

Well, there is a bit of a silver lining.  The partial shutdown is ending today. They're reopening the government for 3 weeks to further negotiate the issues.  Hopefully, this gets everyone back-payed asap and TSA, CBP and every one else effected by the lapse will be back to full staff.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 3