“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

4 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Indeed.    I fear that hurting the UAE in the pocketbook might be pretty difficult.  J

Does not mean that we should not try.  Can't be silent and let these country's get away with this kind of discrimination. If we do and say nothing than the rest if the world will think this is  O.K. with us as it should not be.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:44 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's cool, I'll have to make a note of that!  A fading Canadian institution, alas, since it's owned by Brazilians, but still very popular, and present in places like Kandahar.

They're all over Ohio.

12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Ah, interesting.  I knew they were in New York, and had heard Michigan.

Personally, I don't like their coffee products or food, but their donuts are good. There's one in the hospital I just retired from and on nearly every corner....many are right next to a Wendy's. 

Despite the issues with UAE, I had a very enjoyable day in Dubai (my first time there). I took the HOHO bus for transportation, but booked my own reservation to go to the top of the Burj Khalifa, to see the Dubai Mall, to see the Dubai Aquarium and Zoo, and to have High Tea at the Burj Al Arab hotel. I wanted to do a few other things but no time...just have to go back.

20190513_160941.jpg

20190513_153206.jpg

20190513_145438.jpg

20190513_145200.jpg

20190513_125358.jpg

20190513_125749.jpg

20190513_131001.jpg

20190513_130651.jpg

20190513_130436.jpg

20190513_125158.jpg

20190513_121650.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Personally, I don't like their coffee products or food, but their donuts are good. There's one in the hospital I just retired from and on nearly every corner....many are right next to a Wendy's. 

Their coffee has gone downhill since they were bought out, and frankly McD's has much better coffee now.  

Don't buy their donuts, although Timbits used to be de rigeuer in the office, back in the day.

1 minute ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Despite the issues with UAE, I had a very enjoyable day in Dubai (my first time there). I took the HOHO bus for transportation, but booked my own reservation to go to the top of the Burj Khalifa, to see the Dubai Mall, to see the Dubai Aquarium and Zoo, and to have High Tea at the Burj Al Arab hotel. I wanted to do a few other things but no time...just have to go back.

Sounds like you had a great day!  What was your favourite thing?

12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sounds like you had a great day!  What was your favourite thing?

High tea at the Burj Al Arab.  This was true High Tea, which is a meal. This was a 7 course champagne meal (but I had an apple infusion drink with real gold chips floating in it), the service was impeccable and I  had my own table on the 27th floor overlooking Dubai in a 7 star gorgeous luxury hotel....an experience I'll never forget!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

High tea at the Burj Al Arab.  This was true High Tea, which is a meal. This was a 7 course champagne meal (but I had an apple infusion drink with real gold chips floating in it), the service was impeccable and I  had my own table on the 27th floor overlooking Dubai in a 7 star gorgeous luxury hotel....an experience I'll never forget!

Good for you.

I am glad that we visited Burj Al Arab as well on our first visit - we had dinner in their seafood restaurant.

While the food was not memorable, the access to the entire building certainly was - one of a kind.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Their coffee has gone downhill since they were bought out, and frankly McD's has much better coffee now.  

Don't buy their donuts, although Timbits used to be de rigeuer in the office, back in the day.

None here in this part of Florida so nothing to think about.  I need a diet, not a doughnut'

• Like 1

Bob:  thanks for the updated list of O items.  Certainly not inflated as the one they had for the Sydney-Tokyo segment!!!

Go Bucks:  you certainly did a lot during your day in Dubai!!!  I just looked up the cost of high tea.  Mama mia!!!!

Thank you both for continuing to take us along on your journey.

Edited by Senior Citizen
Additional comment
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

I just looked up the cost of high tea.  Mama mia!!!!

Yeah....I had a hard time plunking down the money but this promised to be a "once in a lifetime" event and it turned out to be just that.

51 minutes ago, dermgoddess said:

So glad to join this group 

my name is Ellen and I just joined... I am here until Rome 

I have a nice photo of the pilot boat taking us out of Dubai 

E940F7A6-A9B4-4C48-9F84-9D1E852257DD.jpeg

Welcome aboard, Ellen...

and welcome to Cruise Critic’s!!

🙂

Glad to see another interested in watching pilot’s embarking...

😎

Edited by bob brown

On 5/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, Paulchili said:

That is a very plausible scenario.

If that is what happened, Oceania should have the document showing that permission by an UAE official was given and present it to current UAE officials.

Whether that would be honored or not is a different question.

Very sad situation in any case - my sympathies to Ilsun for having been put into this mess and hopefully O will compensate him at the very least.

Assaf (Ilsun), has reported on our roll call, that Oceania has compensated him for his trouble, and he will be rejoining us at Haifa...🙂

• Like 3

Just now, bob brown said:

Assaf (Ilsun), has reported on our roll call, that Oceania has compensated him for his trouble, and he will be rejoining us at Haifa...🙂

Thank you - that is the very least that they had to do for them.

• Like 2