Main Dining Room Food To Go

uday23

Hello All,

Was wondering if it was possible to order Main Dining Room food to go? For example, instead of sitting down for the full service would it be possible to walk down to the MDR host desk and ask for a meal to go to bring back to your stateroom? Furthermore, is something as simple as asking for one of the desserts on the menu to go allowed without actually sitting for the full meal?

Does anyone know if this is allowed or have tried it themselves?

Thanks!

Edited by uday23

Not sure  -  I have seen a tablemate ask for an entree to go (spouse wasn’t feeling good); but it was not the full meal and she ate dinner.  Also have taken dessert to go after eating in MDR.  

I don’t think they would do a to go order - would probably suggest you order room service.  Personally think it would be kind of tacky to ask.  

• Like 1

Agreed.  Asking them to wrap a dessert is one thing, we've done that when either we are just too full, or there are 2 deserts we really want, so the other is a later snack.  But a full meal is not an option, they are not set up for that at all.  

People are basically saying you cannot do it or trying to discourage you.

They don't really know,  just speculating.

I bet if can get MDR food to go.

It should not be a problem if you ask the right people...

I can answer this one based on personal experience.  My son got seasick on an excursion and didn't go with the family when we went to dinner.  Our waiter (Oliver - nice guy) noticed he was missing and inquired.  When I told him what was going on, he brought a to-go box with a full meal for my son to eat later if he started feeling better.  So the TLDR answer is: yes, it is possible. 

I went to dinner one night, ordered but decided I wasn't feeling well. I asked that waiter give my meal to my dh to bring to me.  What actually happened is that the mdr sent it directly to our cabin.  But this was because I wasn't feeling well not because I wanted a to go meal.

The question is not is it possible, anything is possible, but the question was not could you arrange something with yout waiter when sick, its could you place a to-go order with the headwaiter and pick it up at the podium.  Again, probably possible in a difficult situation but not something that should be expected. 

@Loonbeam - Sorry to be disagreeable, but here I go anyway.  First, the question was " Was wondering if it was possible to order Main Dining Room food to go"  You stated in an earlier post "But a full meal is not an option, they are not set up for that at all."  Myself and three other posters offered first hand knowledge and experience that they are in fact equipped for to-go orders.  You offered nothing factual, just your opinion, so who should the OP believe?

• Like 1

Not sure if you can really order from the hostess.
Just got back from a cruise on Empress.  A couple of mornings, my wife slept in while I went to breakfast in the MDR.  I would order a plate to take back to our room so she had something when she woke up.  They would just give me it with the cover still on it.  I've seen the same thing at other meal times. 
But this was not ordered with the hostess, it was another meal ordered at the table.