Regatta - Yet Another Mechanical Failure

ABoatNerd

A good day everyone.

A current thread notes Regatta had yet another mechanical failure on New Years day 2019.

Since I was on the very disappointing Panama cruise October 2018 (10 negative reviews), thought it would be interesting to take a look at Regatta's somewhat recent history. 

Used Cruise Critic almost exclusively.

Attached is a Word file. Hope everyone can open it. 

CC members have reported a minimum of 12 mechanical (power failure, propulsion failure etc) incidences since October 2011.

Of course, there could be many more incidences, as CC members are few in number versus the cruising public.

ABoatNerd

Oceania Regatta.docx

5 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

A good day everyone.

A current thread notes Regatta had yet another mechanical failure on New Years day 2019.

Since I was on the very disappointing Panama cruise October 2018 (10 negative reviews), thought it would be interesting to take a look at Regatta's somewhat recent history. 

Used Cruise Critic almost exclusively.

Attached is a Word file. Hope everyone can open it. 

CC members have reported a minimum of 12 mechanical (power failure, propulsion failure etc) incidences since October 2011.

Of course, there could be many more incidences, as CC members are few in number versus the cruising public.

ABoatNerd

Oceania Regatta.docx

Are you still on this bandwagon? With Regatta cruises selling out left and right, do you honestly think anyone really cares?

• Like 3

We got off Regatta in Sydney in December and also loved every minute of it.  The crew was outstanding.  The Captain kept us well informed.  The ship was beautiful.  We didn't miss any ports.  I am so glad that we were able to experience it one more time before the retrofit.  I love the current decor.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I am trying to assess Regatta  vs the other R Class ships.  Anyone know: Are the mechanical issues unique to Regatta? Certainly other R Class ships have had some issues. Where did the Regatta come from?  Did any other Oceania R Class come from the same cruiseline? 

Don't let the OP's hyperbole guile you into thinking the Regatta is falling about. Most of it is blown out of proportion and it's more about the OP's ego being bruised as the Captain and GM on board Regatta didn't understand his experience and expertise. 

All the R ships came from the same place. Their history is outlined on Wikipedia here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Cruises#R_Class

Enjoy the history lesson. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I am trying to assess Regatta  vs the other R Class ships.  Anyone know: Are the mechanical issues unique to Regatta? Certainly other R Class ships have had some issues. Where did the Regatta come from?  Did any other Oceania R Class come from the same cruiseline? 

"R" stands for Renaissance (cruise line).

Been on Regatta multiple times- never a mechanical issue.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

29 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

Actually, according to Oceania, the "R" stands for "Regatta-Class Ship."   That was a nighttime trivia question on our last cruise.  We got it wrong because we said it stands for "Renaissance" also.

If it come up in future trivia just tell them that Johnny Tokyo says it's Renaissance. Honestly, use the "Johnny Tokyo" card.

• Haha 1

Your opinion. 

Our last Regatta cruise issues including a major Emergency PA failure cause missed port (no spares on board).

Issues in PH2 cabin including mechanical (doors not closing),  A/C, multiple toilet prolems.  Mold issues too especially deck - rear port side. We thought the Captain to be less than forthright.  Just my opinion but too many issues would tend to make us hesitant to sail her again.

I do not have Oceania issues -- were are booked on two WC 2020 segments

To the other  poster --- Other R-class (Renaissance Ships) have had major issues in past.  This included Engine fires on both Oceania (Insignia) and Azamara (Quest). These ships are old and do not have the latest redundant systems.

As far as R ships -- Nautica remains our favorite as the best maintained and run R ship - IMO

With 2400 more passenger capacity (one wonders) what will O do in 2022 and 2025 with its R fleet.

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If it come up in future trivia just tell them that Johnny Tokyo says it's Renaissance. Honestly, use the "Johnny Tokyo" card.

I would never "drop a name" on someone unless I knew who I was "dropping." You have peaked my interest.

6 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

I would never "drop a name" on someone unless I knew who I was "dropping." You have peaked my interest.

The origins of the influence of Johnny Tokyo on Oceania Trivia disagreements is a complicated story shared only on a "need to know" basis and told best by Johnny himself (in person) or by Ray Carr, the bravest of Oceania's cruise directors, or (in a pinch) by a bona fide "friend of Johnny Tokyo" who has a certificate to verify that status.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The origins of the influence of Johnny Tokyo on Oceania Trivia disagreements is a complicated story shared only on a "need to know" basis and told best by Johnny himself (in person) or by Ray Carr, the bravest of Oceania's cruise directors, or (in a pinch) by a bona fide "friend of Johnny Tokyo" who has a certificate to verify that status.

I don't have a certificate but I am certified.

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

More importantly, will that tactic reverse your wrong answer and make it a correct one? 😄

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

Any errors or omissions in the attached document in the first post?

Ironically, one poster here suggested that "you need a hobby".

Meanwhile, you have 482 posts while this person has almost 39,000.

I'm assuming self-awareness isn't her strong point.

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:09 PM, Paulchili said:

More importantly, will that tactic reverse your wrong answer and make it a correct one? 😄

If you play trivia with Leslie Jon, most disputes are settled with “player consensus “ and I don’t know how much influence Johnny Tokyo has with the masses. 

Edited by RetiredLifer

9 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Any errors or omissions in the attached document in the first post?

What part of "no one really cares" have you not understood from the bulk of responses to your post?

You're unhappy. Others are not. Try a different Oceania ship or a different cruise line.

Don't worry, OP.

Some people care. Perhaps the posters who live on this board don't care (even though they feel the need to bash you for daring to post your interests on this board).

Perhaps some of the frequent posters might want to ignore threads they don't care about and accept that less-frequent visitors here might be interested in what you have to say.

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 7:22 AM, RetiredLifer said:

If you play trivia with Leslie Jon, most disputes are settled with “player consensus “ and I don’t know how much influence Johnny Tokyo has with the masses. 

Sadly, Leslie is terrible at running Trivia-  same tired old questions about the British Monarchy and rushes the whole process. Now, if he could only transfer that wonderful stage presence (e.g., Fiddler) to Trivia.....

Let the pro-Leslie rants begin....

53 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Now, if he could only transfer that wonderful stage presence (e.g., Fiddler) to Trivia.....

He does. His last question is (at least used to be) his enactment of a famous scene/line from a movie presented with some panache.

And yes - I am a Leslie fan. He is simply the best :classic_biggrin:

45 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

He does. His last question is (at least used to be) his enactment of a famous scene/line from a movie presented with some panache.

And yes - I am a Leslie fan. He is simply the best :classic_biggrin:

He still does that walk to the curtain and then back with the line (though without any attempt at an impression of the actor) ....     zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

And then there's the brief TV show each morning ............    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Admittedly, though, when he inserts his "Fiddler" impression in the evening show, his talent finally shows through. I've heard many folks say :"who'd'a thunk?" when he sings "If I were a rich man."

On a related front, (and with the understanding that some few folks might find him "pressing the envelope" a bit too much), nobody (IMO) on Oceania does Trivia like Ray Carr (incl. occasional props/video/food/ and the always enjoyable "..... you go back to your cabin and find 100.... ." 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1