Suite or FTTF

Allura_317

6 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

I was wondering if you would get more perks booking a suite or by purchasing FTTF?  What are the differences in the perks and which has more?  If a suite is booked, can you still purchase FTTF?

You definitely get more perks with FTTF.  You can book FTTF for a suite if it's available.  They sell out fast.  

With a suite, you get early embarkation and debarkation.  Some say your suite is available when you board, some say it isn't.  That's about the extent of what you get with a suite.  With FTTF, you get early embarkation/debarkation.  Early luggage delivery, dedicated phone and line at Guest Services, priority boarding for tenders and access to your cabin upon boarding.

Definitely FTTF.   We have it for our Feb.2 cruise, which we purchased about a year ago....   Then we were offered an upsell to a junior suite - the only perks were to be the embark and disembark.   So we are keeping the FTTF.

I want to go into my cabin upon boarding and I want the dedicated line in the event we have to visit guest services.  And the early luggage delivery (we hope...doesn't always happen).   We like to be unpacked and settled before muster if at all possible!

When I booked a suite, I also got FTTF.  As stated, with a suite you get early embarkation, but do not get access to your suite prior to 1:30.  Again, up to you, but was well worth it to me to get FTTF.  Early embarkation with my room ready.  Got on board at 11:15, dropped our carry on luggage, and was eating a Guys Burger by 11:30. So real perks with suite other than a larger cabin, and a bathtub.

• Like 1

To me, it depends on a few things. If you don't get the suite, what room would you get? What is important to you on vacation?

A suite is generally a far bigger price difference between FTTF. Between the both, I would choose the suite though. I'm not the biggest FTTF fan, because I don't need to get to my room at 11:30 nor do I need to go to guest services often. A suite will give you a balcony and a nicer room to enjoy for the duration of your cruise, if that is your thing.

• Like 1

It looks like the majority is leaning towards FTTF.  The early access is important to us as we are traveling with a teen and pre-teen and we like to be have the opportunity to put out carry-on's in the room.  We will be on Horizon in either a Grand Suite or two balconies, we will probably get FTTF either way now that I know about the early access.  I heard that Grand Suite's on the Horizon have access to the Havana facilities, is this true?  If we have an 11 year old, would the rest of us be able to get into Havana but not her or would they make an exception (she is not disturbing and would be almost 12)?  Would that perk make the suite more worth it than two balconies?  Thanks for all the responses!

3 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

It looks like the majority is leaning towards FTTF.  The early access is important to us as we are traveling with a teen and pre-teen and we like to be have the opportunity to put out carry-on's in the room.  We will be on Horizon in either a Grand Suite or two balconies, we will probably get FTTF either way now that I know about the early access.  I heard that Grand Suite's on the Horizon have access to the Havana facilities, is this true?  If we have an 11 year old, would the rest of us be able to get into Havana but not her or would they make an exception (she is not disturbing and would be almost 12)?  Would that perk make the suite more worth it than two balconies?  Thanks for all the responses!

It does say 12 years old, but I don't know how they check the age - Maybe when booking you have to give that info?  Not sure.  

6 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

Only those in Havana Cabins have access to the Havana area until 7pm.  It's open to everyone after that time. And they should not be asked to "make an exception" for your daughter, even if she is well behaved.  The rules for that area are pretty clear, no one under 12 at any time.

Edited by DramaQueen22
add information
  • Like 2

We have sailed in suites a few times and honestly, I don't think they are worth the extra money.  The extra space is a questionable benefit, but I loved having a separate dressing area.  The tub was more of a pain in that my husband and I didn't take  baths and it was difficult getting over the side of the tub to take a shower.

The benefits of FTTF are better for anyone than the suite benefits.  We are Platinum so we don't need the FTTF, however a couple of years ago my son and his family cruised with me on Dream.  My grand daughter and I were dropped off at the port and we went to the cabin to drop off the carry on items.  My son and his wife went to return the rental car.  

When my son and his wife got back to the port, the line was huge.  They showed their FTTF passes and passed by all those waiting and were onboard within just a few minutes.  That alone was worth the price of FTTF.  I do have to say the price was lower a couple of years ago and I think it is getting to be too high priced, but that's for another discussion.

They did use FTTF for tendering  when in Belize to get to their excursion which was not a ship sponsored one.  

My thoughts are FTTF is worth  more than a suite as there are no real benefits of a suite on Carnival; whereas, other lines give benefits that make spending the extra money worth it.  JMO.

1 hour ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Only those in Havana Cabins have access to the Havana area until 7pm.  It's open to everyone after that time. And they should not be asked to "make an exception" for your daughter, even if she is well behaved.  The rules for that area are pretty clear, no one under 12 at any time.

10 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

We have sailed in suites a few times and honestly, I don't think they are worth the extra money.  The extra space is a questionable benefit, but I loved having a separate dressing area.  The tub was more of a pain in that my husband and I didn't take  baths and it was difficult getting over the side of the tub to take a shower.

The benefits of FTTF are better for anyone than the suite benefits.  We are Platinum so we don't need the FTTF, however a couple of years ago my son and his family cruised with me on Dream.  My grand daughter and I were dropped off at the port and we went to the cabin to drop off the carry on items.  My son and his wife went to return the rental car.  

When my son and his wife got back to the port, the line was huge.  They showed their FTTF passes and passed by all those waiting and were onboard within just a few minutes.  That alone was worth the price of FTTF.  I do have to say the price was lower a couple of years ago and I think it is getting to be too high priced, but that's for another discussion.

They did use FTTF for tendering  when in Belize to get to their excursion which was not a ship sponsored one.  

My thoughts are FTTF is worth  more than a suite as there are no real benefits of a suite on Carnival; whereas, other lines give benefits that make spending the extra money worth it.  JMO.

DramaQueen22- That you for answering about my 11 year old.  I saw the below article but wasn't sure if it was true.  Not meaning to sound rude or anything, are you sure it's Havana only?  If not, would the rest of us be able to get into Havana just not younger one?

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-adds-new-perk-for-grand-suite-passengers/

Katiel53- It sounds like FTTF is good!  We are only gold in VIFP so we don't have to FTTF perks in our status, so we are stuck paying for FTTF (only a few more cruises...).  And totally agree with you about Carnival suites.  I would definitely rather splurge on another line's suites.  If Havana isn't with grand suite, then we will probably go ahead with the two balconies.  We love Royal Suite Class on RCCL (specifically star class when we can:-)) and the Haven on NCL.  Carnival tried with Havana, but we feel that none of the Havana suites are that large compared to other suites and we like to have extra space.  The Havana Cabana's and Havana Suite's don't interest us as they don't have a true balcony (we have an 11 year old anyway).

Perks for Suites you don't get with FTTF.  Captains Lounge at ports that have them - Platinum, Diamond, and guests in Suites.  1 free bag of laundry.  1 (perhaps 1 per person?) large bottle of water.  Board after Diamonds and Platinums, but before FTTF.   GTY on Dining Times.

On some ships only the Suites have mini fridges.

36 minutes ago, WIFamily said:

Perks for Suites you don't get with FTTF.  Captains Lounge at ports that have them - Platinum, Diamond, and guests in Suites.  1 free bag of laundry.  1 (perhaps 1 per person?) large bottle of water.  Board after Diamonds and Platinums, but before FTTF.   GTY on Dining Times.

On some ships only the Suites have mini fridges.

It's for Horizon, so I believe all staterooms have mini fridges???  If we are in a Grand Suite with FTTF, would we embark with suites or FTTF?  What's the caption's lounge?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Allura_317 said:

It's for Horizon, so I believe all staterooms have mini fridges???  If we are in a Grand Suite with FTTF, would we embark with suites or FTTF?  What's the caption's lounge?  Thanks!

You will board with suites. Suites board before FTTF. Captains Lounge is a separate waiting area to board the ship. 

2 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

If you're already in a suite, then I don't see much value in paying for FTTF as well... unless you really need to get into your room before 1:30PM, or you need the VIP line in Guest Services on board.  Those are the only two "perks" I can think of that FTTF gets beyond guests in Suites.

But it's all relative to what you value and need.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, DramaQueen22 said:

1. The Havana Pool Area is exclusive access to all Havana Cabin passengers AND now all Grand suite ( about 8-10 cabins) passengers.  Carnival made this change in October 2018.  

2. You must be 12 or older to stay in a Havana cabin.  

3. There’s nothing that says you must be 12 or older to access the Havana Pool Area.  So we’ll wait and see what happens when a penthouse suite guest wants to take their 10 year old child to the Havana Pool Area.  The logical answer is they cannot but there’s nothing saying there’s an age restriction to the Havana Pool, just the Havana cabins.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4364/~/carnival-horizon-(hz)-havana-experience-and-staterooms

I would love to hear a recent cruisers experience of a suite passenger under 12 being allowed or denied access to the Havana Pool area.

4 hours ago, Salidaboy209 said:

1. The Havana Pool Area is exclusive access to all Havana Cabin passengers AND now all Grand suite ( about 8-10 cabins) passengers.  Carnival made this change in October 2018.  

2. You must be 12 or older to stay in a Havana cabin.  

3. There’s nothing that says you must be 12 or older to access the Havana Pool Area.  So we’ll wait and see what happens when a penthouse suite guest wants to take their 10 year old child to the Havana Pool Area.  The logical answer is they cannot but there’s nothing saying there’s an age restriction to the Havana Pool, just the Havana cabins.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4364/~/carnival-horizon-(hz)-havana-experience-and-staterooms

I would love to hear a recent cruisers experience of a suite passenger under 12 being allowed or denied access to the Havana Pool area.

I believe that you can't even book a Havana cabin if a guest is under 12, so it would serve to reason that no one under that age would be permitted in the pool area (during the day at least) who wasn't wearing a Havana wristband.  I have no idea how they police that when the area is open to everyone.  My guess is they can't and don't.

Conflicting stories about enforcement in Havana.  Seems to depend on the ship and crew members.