Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
TSUmom

Customs at FCO

Recommended Posts

We are wanting to schedule transportation from the airport to our hotel.  Can anyone give me an idea (estimate) of the time it will take from landing to get out luggage and clear customs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest crush of flights from the US to FCO arrive between mid-morning and early afternoon. During that period, it may take a while to clear passport control, depending on how many agents are working and how many other planes are arriving in the same window of time.  I generally sit toward the front of the aircraft (e.g., economy plus), which helps you to get to the line before the bulk of passengers from your own flight. In general I'd say it has taken about 30 minutes or less -- but be aware that it could be longer.

 

After this you retrieve your luggage.  Unfortunately you have no control over luggage arrival -- sometimes it is fast and sometimes it can take up to an hour after landing before the bags from your flight show up. 

 

There is no "Customs" clearance to speak of. You'll just take your bags and walk through the door that says "Nothing to declare", which will then put you into the main arrivals lobby where most private transportation/drivers meet their customers.

 

If you are working with an experienced private company, you should be able to simply provide them with your flight arrival time and let them figure out what is the best time to meet. For your own planning purposes, I would allow at least one hour but it could easily be longer.

Edited by cruisemom42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The biggest crush of flights from the US to FCO arrive between mid-morning and early afternoon. During that period, it may take a while to clear passport control, depending on how many agents are working and how many other planes are arriving in the same window of time.  I generally sit toward the front of the aircraft (e.g., economy plus), which helps you to get to the line before the bulk of passengers from your own flight. In general I'd say it has taken about 30 minutes or less -- but be aware that it could be longer.

 

After this you retrieve your luggage.  Unfortunately you have no control over luggage arrival -- sometimes it is fast and sometimes it can take up to an hour after landing before the bags from your flight show up. 

 

There is no "Customs" clearance to speak of. You'll just take your bags and walk through the door that says "Nothing to declare", which will then put you into the main arrivals lobby where most private transportation/drivers meet their customers.

 

If you are working with an experienced private company, you should be able to simply provide them with your flight arrival time and let them figure out what is the best time to meet. For your own planning purposes, I would allow at least one hour but it could easily be longer. 

Thank you for your quick response....our flight arrives at 7 am so hopefully we will be the crowds.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The biggest crush of flights from the US to FCO arrive between mid-morning and early afternoon. During that period, it may take a while to clear passport control, depending on how many agents are working and how many other planes are arriving in the same window of time.  I generally sit toward the front of the aircraft (e.g., economy plus), which helps you to get to the line before the bulk of passengers from your own flight. In general I'd say it has taken about 30 minutes or less -- but be aware that it could be longer.

 

After this you retrieve your luggage.  Unfortunately you have no control over luggage arrival -- sometimes it is fast and sometimes it can take up to an hour after landing before the bags from your flight show up. 

 

There is no "Customs" clearance to speak of. You'll just take your bags and walk through the door that says "Nothing to declare", which will then put you into the main arrivals lobby where most private transportation/drivers meet their customers.

 

If you are working with an experienced private company, you should be able to simply provide them with your flight arrival time and let them figure out what is the best time to meet. For your own planning purposes, I would allow at least one hour but it could easily be longer.

 

No Customs, like cruisemom says.   But, there is that pesky "immigration", aka Passport Control.  I've been as short as 10 minutes, and as long as 45 minutes.  It depends on 1)how many flights have landed, 2) the number of "EU Citizen" vs "non-EU Citizen (aka, you) lines are open.  And, I fly Business, so I'm even farther up front than her 😉   I block out how long it takes to get my bag (if I check one) - I'm usually still drowsy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

 

No Customs, like cruisemom says.   But, there is that pesky "immigration", aka Passport Control.  I've been as short as 10 minutes, and as long as 45 minutes.  It depends on 1)how many flights have landed, 2) the number of "EU Citizen" vs "non-EU Citizen (aka, you) lines are open.  And, I fly Business, so I'm even farther up front than her 😉   I block out how long it takes to get my bag (if I check one) - I'm usually still drowsy...

We are flying business also so that may help.  I am thinking maybe scheduling pick up about 1 1/2 hours after arrival....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting bags has always been our issue at FCO. They just aren't fast....40 minutes is not unusual, in our experience.

 

Most transport services will get your flight number and monitor your arrival. They know the systems very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You all have been so helpful!  I have another question about our return flight.  last time we had a direct flight from Rome to the US.  This time we will have a 4 hour layover in LHR.  I have researched and that should be plenty of time but what should I expect leaving FCO since we will not be flying directly to the US?  We have booked thru AA but the FCO-LHR flight is on BA.  Which terminal?  Customs?  Thank you in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are flying to LHR, you probably will not have any Immigration or Customs (please learn the difference- Immigration is about your personal ability to enter another country, Customs is about what personal property you can bring with you into another country, and is rarely checked as you exit a country) as you leave FCO. At most a passport (aka "Immigration") check.

 

You will have an extra layer of security/passport checks before you board your flight at LHR. You will have full US Immigration and Customs at the first place you touch US soil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just landed at FCO earlier this month.  Scheduled to land at 7am.....landed early at 6:30.  Lots of planes landing from all around the world and pretty long line for passport control.

 

If you have a USA passport, keep it visible in your hand.  Officers were pulling USA persons off the big line and putting us in some express shorter line.  Got out much quicker.  Maybe that's a regular practice or maybe not.....but it sure helped us out.  Just hold your passport in your hand so it can be seen.

 

Was out of the airport an hour after landing, and in downtown Rome just after 8am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

Just landed at FCO earlier this month.  Scheduled to land at 7am.....landed early at 6:30.  Lots of planes landing from all around the world and pretty long line for passport control.

 

If you have a USA passport, keep it visible in your hand.  Officers were pulling USA persons off the big line and putting us in some express shorter line.  Got out much quicker.  Maybe that's a regular practice or maybe not.....but it sure helped us out.  Just hold your passport in your hand so it can be seen.

 

Was out of the airport an hour after landing, and in downtown Rome just after 8am.

I will be sure to have my passport ready...thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Celebrity Edge in Europe Sweepstakes
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...