Passport set to expire. Government shut down question

Gheenoe

My passport expires in August but have a cruise planned for April. Is it required to have a passport not within 6 months of expiration. Or is it recommended to not use a passport with in 6 months of it expiring. 

With the shutdown are passports not being processed, or is there a delay? 

I am not sure if I should send in my current passport in order to renew it, if it is still somewhat valid. 

Thanks

Another CC member had said in a different post when I asked that that dept. is up & running.  We sent in for our renewal on Jan. 2nd. & I did receive my confirmation back today that they received them.  Hoping to get them here in the next 2 weeks or so.  We cruise at the end of March.

7 minutes ago, IrishLassie said:

Another CC member had said in a different post when I asked that that dept. is up & running.  We sent in for our renewal on Jan. 2nd. & I did receive my confirmation back today that they received them.  Hoping to get them here in the next 2 weeks or so.  We cruise at the end of March.

I mailed mine for renewal December 31.  I got the notification they received it and my check has been cashed.  I read on the government website that a renewal takes 6-8 weeks.  We don't cruise until August.

Edited by breezy_carol

Thankyou for the quick and concise answers. Even though we will cruising a closed loop and not going to Cuba. I will renew since we have 3 months lead time. 

Since I am on the passport topic. We have decided not to get passports for our 2 ds 10and 8 years old. I know if there is an emergency this could cause a problem. We will be sure to bring certified birth certificates for them. 

It just seems an extra 300 bucks is a little steep to pay for something that’s not absolutely needed. Does any one think I am crazy with this choice?

16 minutes ago, Gheenoe said:

Does any one think I am crazy with this choice?

Yes.  Only because of shutdown.  If you have alternative docs you can use on cruise then no not crazy.

but I would not be mailing it during a shutdown and I’m sure there will be a backlog.  Even if passport office isn’t affected, I am finding things you never dreamed would be affected are and I wouldn’t want to chance it.

So, you are sailing in April and your passport expires in August????  If you send it now with the shutdown they may not process it... and since it was mailed away you no longer have it.  Further since, you don’t need it to have 6 months on a closed loop tour??? Why would you part with it???  If you do part with it do you know where your birth certificate is with the raised seal is???

In other words, keep your passport go on the cruise and when you get home renew your passports.  Plus you will save passport renewal money for a few more months.

good luck

jc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gheenoe said:

Thankyou for the quick and concise answers. Even though we will cruising a closed loop and not going to Cuba. I will renew since we have 3 months lead time. 

Since I am on the passport topic. We have decided not to get passports for our 2 ds 10and 8 years old. I know if there is an emergency this could cause a problem. We will be sure to bring certified birth certificates for them. 

It just seems an extra 300 bucks is a little steep to pay for something that’s not absolutely needed. Does any one think I am crazy with this choice?

Not trying to be snarky at all but your logic escapes me.

You don't want to get passports for the kids because they are $300 and a little steep (which I agree with) and aren't necessary unless of an emergency but your more than willing to shell out the money to renew your valid passport which is still good for another 4 months after your cruise in April is over.

Being so frugal I hate to part with money until I absolutely have to. YMMV.

Whatever you do I hope you and the kids have an awesome cruise.:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Not trying to be snarky at all but your logic escapes me.

You don't want to get passports for the kids because they are $300 and a little steep (which I agree with) and aren't necessary unless of an emergency but your more than willing to shell out the money to renew your valid passport which is still good for another 4 months after your cruise in April is over.

Being so frugal I hate to part with money until I absolutely have to. YMMV.

Whatever you do I hope you and the kids have an awesome cruise.:classic_smile:

Agree.... The parents could also take their BC (like they are doing with their kids) and save that extra money

• Thanks 1

We applied for renewal passport for my DW, and a new passport for my DS the friday before Christmas.  Got BOTH of the back earlier this week, done, complete, and even the DS's birth certificate back.  Fastest I've EVER seen that done.  Just my recent experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DigiNV said:

We applied for renewal passport for my DW, and a new passport for my DS the friday before Christmas.  Got BOTH of the back earlier this week, done, complete, and even the DS's birth certificate back.  Fastest I've EVER seen that done.  Just my recent experience.

Thank you, Hillary...

We "needed" a passport for DD4 for our cruise in March. Did her application on December 27 and received an email that it will arrive next week. So three weeks or so. I'm too paranoid that we would need to return home to not get one. 

Maybe a lot of people are holding off on passport applications with the mistaken belief that passports are not being processed, which means a lighter load for the agency and therefore people who do send in applications are getting faster than normal service. 

7 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Is this the only trip you are planning to ever take with your children? if yes then do not buy them passports. If no then buy them. Or buy one. I would not renew yours until after you return. 

This is the Only Trip I see in the near future to take the children on that will be leaving the Country. With Sports and School, money and time are pretty tight now. I saw a good deal on this cruise, and since the Mrs and I fell in love with cruising we wanted to share this experience with the boys.

But for the Wife and I (hopefully) more trips will be in the cards.

So that is the reason why I want to keep a current passport for me.

Renew your passports after you return.  Otherwise you're just throwing away money.  

If my passport expired in August, I would send it in for renewal in July, unless I had a trip scheduled in July or August and needed it back before then.  

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to renew your passport early for an April cruise UNLESS you are traveling to Cuba.  

I am heartened to hear of the time frame for those who applied in late December or early this month.  I mailed mine today, and with the MLK holiday on Monday it will not arrive in Philly until Wednesday, which is the 23rd.  I will report back when I get mine returned.  I may be in an unusual situation though, as I am replacing a limited validity passport.  The form gave me an address (PO Box) that was different from the one for regular renewals.  Hope that doesn't work against me.

Passport Agency piece of The State Department is a self paying entity like the post office...the fees collected offset the cost of doing business.  So generally speaking, passports are not affected by the shutdown.   However, I do follow their advice and never travel with a passport that is within six month of expiring.  Just got back from Europe and it was stipulated to make sure passport was current.   So if you are going to renew...get it done now to be sure you have enough time given the current govt crisis.   Just sayin’