Classic Drink Package or Not?

SeaBunny

7 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

It's not repositioning but round trip from Buenos Aires with lots of scenic cruising (Antarctica, etc.). We have a balcony. I don't recall "perks" as being part of this booking but just sent an email to our TA to confirm.

What does OVC mean (as mentioned in the post by KateWes)?

Can't tell about the Jan/Feb 2019 cruises since they appear to be sold out; but for the Jan/Feb 2020 cruises the current sale includes 2 perks with the refundable deposit.

Note that for a basic balcony cabin if you compare the senior rate with zero perks versus the rate with two perks, the price difference is $420 per person or $30 per day for the two perks. If you subtract out the $14.50 gratuities perk, the Classic Beverage Package would be costing only $15.50 per day - compared to the regular purchase price of $59x1.18=$69.62 per day. A great deal since just 2 glasses of basic wine per day costs at least $18!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

More questions:

How much is charged for soft drinks? Are they canned or fountain or both?

If you buy the Classic Package, do both cabin mates have to buy it? Or can one do it and not the other?

If you wait until onboard to buy the Classic Package do they pro-rate the cost? I would think so.

And thanks for the information already provided!!

SeaBunny....it would make sense to pro-rate the drink package if you buy it on the ship a day or two into your cruise, however they used to charge full rate no matter what day of the cruise you purchased it on.  Not sure if this is still the case so you may want to research this on the Celebrity site. 

3 hours ago, Reel Love said:

SeaBunny....it would make sense to pro-rate the drink package if you buy it on the ship a day or two into your cruise, however they used to charge full rate no matter what day of the cruise you purchased it on.  Not sure if this is still the case so you may want to research this on the Celebrity site. 

I am very surprised at this😯

I had always understood that the BP was sold on a daily basis and if you bought it during cruise, you only paid for number of days remaining.

From the Menu (but blurred) it appears that the Prosecco is $9 at the Gastrobar which will satisfy my DW in the Classic Package, can anyone confirm if this is available widespread in the restaurants and bars aboard ? 

If you are a moderate drinker, I suggest that you not buy the expensive beverage package, but keep tabs on your spending for alcohol for the cruise.  I did that for our X cruises and until we made elite status we would spend about $500 total for a two week cruise, mainly on wine.

After we became elite, our average spending on alcohol dropped to less than $300 total for two weeks.  We don't drink prior to happy hour, never buy bottled water, expensive coffees or soda.

We still enjoy the three free HH drinks and then wine with dinner, which is plenty for us.  Also, my doctor is happy that I am not punishing my liver.

14 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Reel Love, I think you may be confusing Celebrity with a different cruise line?  I believe the Princess Drink Package cannot be prorated.  I am not sure about other cruise lines, but my recollection is that Celebrity’s package was always based on the number of days left in the cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Reel Love, I think you may be confusing Celebrity with a different cruise line?  I believe the Princess Drink Package cannot be prorated.  I am not sure about other cruise lines, but my recollection is that Celebrity’s package was always based on the number of days left in the cruise.

Hi jagoffee.  It was definitely Celebrity as the only other line I have sailed in the last several years was Disney and we were able to take our own alcohol onboard their ships.  Admittedly it was some time ago that I inquired about this issue myself with Celebrity and maybe I was given an incorrect answer from Celebrity back then??  Wouldn't be the first time I've been given conflicting answers from their "land reps" vs. staff onboard the ship 😏

20 hours ago, LIMPIT said:

From the Menu (but blurred) it appears that the Prosecco is $9 at the Gastrobar which will satisfy my DW in the Classic Package, can anyone confirm if this is available widespread in the restaurants and bars aboard ? 

I've ordered prosecco in the theater and MDR, and it was included in the Classic Alcohol package. 

Edited by Marelaine
  • Like 2

I just booked Equinox for a March sailing.  This is my first Celebrity cruise.   After reading this thread, I assume the drink package I selected as a perk was the "Classic" drink package?  I didn't see it mentioned if it was Standard, Classic or Premium.  How much will it cost me to upgrade to the Premium package for my wife and I?  (7 night cruise) the prices shown in a .pdf link, above were group prices.  

16 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I just booked Equinox for a March sailing.  This is my first Celebrity cruise.   After reading this thread, I assume the drink package I selected as a perk was the "Classic" drink package?  I didn't see it mentioned if it was Standard, Classic or Premium.  How much will it cost me to upgrade to the Premium package for my wife and I?  (7 night cruise) the prices shown in a .pdf link, above were group prices.  

Yes you have the Classic Beverage Package. The cost will be the difference between the price of the 2 packages so $10.00 +18% gratutity so $11.80 per day, per person. You can do it over the phone by calling Celebrity or you can do it once you are on the ship.  Ask any bartender or bar server and they will be glad to upgrade your CBP to the PBP.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1