Edge Review - Exceptional - Hits - Misses - Failures - Edenists

Host Anne

We are price conscious cruisers as well.   Last Monday we booked an Oceanview cabin on a Dec. 15th seven night sailing of the Edge for 2711.90 total for two adults with a well known east coast cruise company from New Hampshire.  We each received a Premium Drink Package, Internet for two, Prepaid Tips for two, a 300.00 OBC from Celebrity -  and an additional 10% of cruise cost in OBC from the agency (225.00 OBC) as well an additional 50.00 Loyalty OBC from them.  

We can probably get a little cheaper price on the older ships but we feel this is a pretty good value for us, and we are happy we reserved it as the prices have already gone up for what we booked.  It is a refundable deposit from Celebrity, and we feel it is worth the risk of a small cancellation penalty from the agency to get this deal.  We are fortunate to be able to drive the hour and a half to get to Ft Lauderdale so no added airfare either.  We will try the Edge class ship and see what we think.  It is great that Celebrity currently has choices between Millenium, Solstice, and Edge class experiences.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

You know what?  Totally FREE!  Dinners and Drinks extra.

I suppose the question I should have asked is this: Can you only see the show in Eden if you have eaten at the restaurant, or can you just wander along and see the Edenites in action? Thanks.

2 hours ago, BPCW said:

We are somewhat price conscious cruisers.  We pay more for Celebrity because we love the cruise line but some of the prices for Edge are insane.  We just booked our January 2020 cruise on Summit (7 night southern) for $850pp (with all port fees and taxes) for an Oceanview.  We paid about $1,000pp for a balcony room on Equinox for the cruise we just got off of 2 weeks ago.  

Looking at Edge for January 2020, an inside stateroom is $1,700pp, oceanview is $2,500pp, and a veranda room is $2,900pp.  To each their own but that is almost 3x "normal" Celebrity cruises. 

No wonder they are struggling to fill it... 

The only reason we're sailing Edge in March is because we got a pretty decent price on the second day bookings opened. Our fares are now going for over double what we paid, which there's just no way I could justify that when I can take the same amount of money and plan a beautiful two week vacation to Hawaii. The prices will even out when the other ships are built and released, but if I am craving a cruise I will have no problem booking an S-Class after sailing Edge. We won't be sailing another Edge class ship until demand comes down. Celebrity is taking advantage of having the "new new" while they can but they know it won't last, especially given the numbers stating they wouldn't book again, or at those prices.  

Edited by CruisingTheWaves
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Retiree said:

I suppose the question I should have asked is this: Can you only see the show in Eden if you have eaten at the restaurant, or can you just wander along and see the Edenites in action? Thanks.

You can just wander in.  I watched for about 20 minutes or so, and that was enough for me.  The restaurant is one deck down from the main show area, and you really can't see the show from down there.

38 minutes ago, ecslady said:

You can just wander in.  I watched for about 20 minutes or so, and that was enough for me.  The restaurant is one deck down from the main show area, and you really can't see the show from down there.

38 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Thanks very much for the clarification. After seeing some photos of the Edenites, I am looking forward to the show. It has been likened to the Broadway show, CATS, which we enjoyed immensely. 

On 1/21/2019 at 10:43 AM, dodger1964 said:

Thanks for posting pics.

one question...pic 99 (i looked at them all!) seems to show you in a tender (and you can see a tender at the ship), BUT the magic carpet appears to be at the top of the ship??

I thought one of the main benefits of it was to make the tendering process better...Do you know what's what?

The day we were in Grand Cayman, the seas were rough so they used local tenders instead of Celebrity "launches" (new tender name).  We really wanted to try the new Celebrity tender but didn't happen on this trip.

3 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

The only reason we're sailing Edge in March is because we got a pretty decent price on the second day bookings opened. Our fares are now going for over double what we paid, which there's just no way I could justify that when I can take the same amount of money and plan a beautiful two week vacation to Hawaii. The prices will even out when the other ships are built and released, but if I am craving a cruise I will have no problem booking an S-Class after sailing Edge. We won't be sailing another Edge class ship until demand comes down. Celebrity is taking advantage of having the "new new" while they can but they know it won't last, especially given the numbers stating they wouldn't book again, or at those prices.  

1 hour ago, The Retiree said:

Thanks very much for the clarification. After seeing some photos of the Edenites, I am looking forward to the show. It has been likened to the Broadway show, CATS, which we enjoyed immensely. 

In May 2018, we booked Edge for Jan 2020. If you strip out the various perks, the cost of the cruise itself has gone up by 28% since then. We booked whilst on a Celebrity Cruise....

3 hours ago, The Retiree said:

For a point of reference, Eden occupies three decks at the back of the ship.  You enter on Deck 5 and this is the main lounge area where you'll find the bar and the grill.  Lots of fun seating areas and this is where 95% of the show takes place.  

Deck 6 is essentially a wrap around ramp that goes up from Deck 5 to the top of Deck 6.  The cast in the show does use this area from time to time during the show.

Deck 4 is the seating area for dinner.  I'd say maybe 10 minutes of the show is centered down here and along the staircase that leads from Deck 5 to Deck 4.  The aerial half moon act is done over this area as well.

But the majority of the show happens and can be best seen in the lounge seating on Deck 5.  We were there three evenings (the show time fell over our dinner time so we had to be creative in getting to see most of the show).  We didn't have a problem getting seats up front any of the evenings we visited. 

31 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

For a point of reference, Eden occupies three decks at the back of the ship.  You enter on Deck 5 and this is the main lounge area where you'll find the bar and the grill.  Lots of fun seating areas and this is where 95% of the show takes place.  

Deck 6 is essentially a wrap around ramp that goes up from Deck 5 to the top of Deck 6.  The cast in the show does use this area from time to time during the show.

Deck 4 is the seating area for dinner.  I'd say maybe 10 minutes of the show is centered down here and along the staircase that leads from Deck 5 to Deck 4.  The aerial half moon act is done over this area as well.

But the majority of the show happens and can be best seen in the lounge seating on Deck 5.  We were there three evenings (the show time fell over our dinner time so we had to be creative in getting to see most of the show).  We didn't have a problem getting seats up front any of the evenings we visited. 

Thanks very much for the clarification and the update. Hope that you are finding time to enjoy the cruise!

Thank you Anne for your review.

It is definitely an eye opener as I was excited about the IV's at first but as time went on I realized that you essentially have an over-sized oceanview.   I think I will be passing on this ship for now as the prices are just too high for a 7 night cruise.  The price of a similar cabin on Edge that I have on the Silhouette for a 9 night is $2500 more.  Since my first Celebrity cruise 5 years ago I have noticed a more concerted effort in the upselling of products on board.

I am glad that Celebrity have put their their dailies on the app.  I think it is one of those things that help younger cruisers get engaged on the cruise.  I can't count the amount of times I've forgotten about something that I wanted to do on board because I didn't have the paper daily with me.  On the flip side playing trivia games and such is not something i would want to do on my cruise.  I think it takes away from connecting with other cruisers.

Was there an option to click on an activity and set a reminder for that while in the app?

4 hours ago, The Retiree said:

Thanks very much for the clarification and the update. Hope that you are finding time to enjoy the cruise!

🙂  I've been back from our cruise since Jan. 13th and back at work since then.....now I'm just remembering and smiling of the good times we had!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrismakris said:

I am glad that Celebrity have put their their dailies on the app.  I think it is one of those things that help younger cruisers get engaged on the cruise.  I can't count the amount of times I've forgotten about something that I wanted to do on board because I didn't have the paper daily with me.  On the flip side playing trivia games and such is not something i would want to do on my cruise.  I think it takes away from connecting with other cruisers.

Was there an option to click on an activity and set a reminder for that while in the app?

Actually, in years past, we actually used onboard trivia to meet and connect with other cruisers because you joined a team to play.  The trivia on the app definitely defeats that purpose and we totally avoided it and did things like played cards and dominos (as did many other cruisers).  I don't think everyone wants to be connected or tied to their phones all cruise long.

I can't answer your question about setting an activity reminder on the app because we didn't carry our phones with us on the cruise.  I'm sure others could probably answer that question.  Sorry I don't know the answer.  Happy I could provide some insight on the IVs.

Good evening, everyone ~ wanted to let everyone know that it is not permitted to copy and paste copyrighted materials from other sources to our forums.  A link would have been fine but cutting and pasting isn't so the discussion was removed.  Just wanted to let everyone know what happened and why.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, BPCW said:

Looking at Edge for January 2020, an inside stateroom is $1,700pp, oceanview is $2,500pp

Wow! We booked our 3/31/19 cruise on the Edge pre-construction (2 years ago?) and paid $1299pp for our Ocean View with $150pp OBC. By comparison our last 7 night cruise on the Adventure OTS in an inside was $568pp.

This is our first cruise on Celebrity and I have read that they are more "upscale" than the RCCL ships but I was perfectly content with our previous trips on the Royal ships.

We booked a 1A(8123) cabin in October 2017, on December 18,  2018 Celebrity informed us that this cabin had been reclassified as partially obstructed and did give a $200 OBC as compensation. I then contacted my travel agent to see if there was an alternate cabin available. On December 28, 2018 Celebrity replied that was all they could do for us as there was a complete booking of the ship.

Last night, January 25, 2019, there were about 75 balcony cabins available and 35 Suites also empty and numerous inside/ocean view cabins.

Reviews, airfare, price or some other reason, but that is a tremendous amount of cancellations. Will call agent to see if Celebrity is still holding to there sold out line and if the would move my cabin at a reasonable differential.

Hal

On 1/15/2019 at 1:36 PM, Host Anne said:

Ali ~ yes, I let several people know that a Playbill type sheet on Eden and the cast would really be helpful.  Right now, the majority of the guests have no idea what's happening or why.  A little synopsis would go a long way.  I loved the kids in the cast and I think passengers would enjoy knowing a little bit about them and their characters.  It should be an easy fix and help everyone enjoy the show more.

Perhaps the solution could be a printed synopsis that could be laminated and placed on each table in the venue just prior to the start of the show. It would save on paper, wouldn’t take up room in the daily program, and would give those watching it some idea of what is going on and who the characters are...

47 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

We booked a 1A(8123) cabin in October 2017, on December 18,  2018 Celebrity informed us that this cabin had been reclassified as partially obstructed and did give a $200 OBC as compensation. I then contacted my travel agent to see if there was an alternate cabin available. On December 28, 2018 Celebrity replied that was all they could do for us as there was a complete booking of the ship.

Last night, January 25, 2019, there were about 75 balcony cabins available and 35 Suites also empty and numerous inside/ocean view cabins.

Reviews, airfare, price or some other reason, but that is a tremendous amount of cancellations. Will call agent to see if Celebrity is still holding to there sold out line and if the would move my cabin at a reasonable differential.

Hal

I was on December 16 sailing...counted over 130 available cabins. I ran into two different people who had issues with their cabin..each was told that there were no available cabins. Either that was not true or the crew was talking about their specific  grade of cabin.  

3 hours ago, HS2BS said:

Hal

Our friends found out they have a 50% obstruction in 6255 They were offered 500.00 off the price of the cruise. Celebrity sent out letters with incorrect information on it so by the time I found out there were no other cabins to move them to.  Now if you want to move to an unobstructed cabin and there are some available then Celebrity Should let you do that at no extra charge but you would have to give up the 200.00 credit.  I called and wanted to move my cabin to the same cat , different deck and even though there are available cabins Celebrity told me I would have to pay the difference based on the Current cruise fares which are more than i paid for the entire Cabin!!!

PS. Excellent Review and I hope you mail it directly to Celebrity Guest Relations.

Excellent Review Anne

We are booked on March 3rd Edge.  IV As other have posted we booked over a year in advance and booked based on the Renderings.  By the time the actual pictures came out we had already paid final deposit.  So unable to cancel.   I also feel duped because the renderings showed a MUCH LARGER IV than reality.  I am also surprised at the terrible design of the lifeboats that basically obstruct almost every cabin on Deck 6.  What were they thinking?  Why did they only discover this After cabins were sold with no information about any type of obstruction.Celebrity also made a mess with the obstruction situation because they sent out a letter to TA with the wrong information on it.  The letter stated that if we wanted to change the obstructed cabins the passengers would have to pay the Current (higher) rate!  Later after many calls I found out that the offer should have said that passengers could move to the same category or higher if there was availability.  They could make a lateral move at NO EXTRA CHARGE.  But by the time we got the correct info .. All cabins were booked . Now that sailing cabins available but we can't change the obstructed cabin without paying the current rates.   We paid less that 3000 total with free beverage and 300.00 obc. So the cost is on par with any other line.  But the IV really has me worried.  We will cruise with an open mind and hope for the best.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:44 PM, Host Anne said:

The day we were in Grand Cayman, the seas were rough so they used local tenders instead of Celebrity "launches" (new tender name).  We really wanted to try the new Celebrity tender but didn't happen on this trip.

Anne, yesterday we were in  GC with smooth seas. There were No launches just local tenders.  We were told they are more effective moving people.  It was a disappoint but we stayed onboard and had a great day.  MC was used as a bar all day. 

Let’s hope the Celebrity lifeboats/launches are a bit more sea sorthy than the GC tenders.  I think there was a bit of excuse making on our cruise.

Edited by Oville

6 hours ago, BellsRUs said:

Perhaps the solution could be a printed synopsis that could be laminated and placed on each table in the venue just prior to the start of the show. It would save on paper, wouldn’t take up room in the daily program, and would give those watching it some idea of what is going on and who the characters are...

That will not work..Putting it on tables will not work as it was standing room only when I was there. I was on the Edge. Watched the Edenists for about 20 minutes and left, as it was just bizarre. If X wants to promote the show, they need to put the synopsis in the daily or in every cabin, so everyone can read it and then decide if they want to go see it

Thanks for a great review.

Question - my wife and I like to spend a lot of time at the main pool area, but we have to be in the shade.

The S Class ships have a lot of shade areas around the pool. Looking at pics of E class, I don't see shade. (Except the cabanas).Please advise. This would be a deal breaker for us.

Is there shade at the Retreat pool?