Florida Cruise Connection Bus vs. Rental Car

charlielinda

We will be visiting friends in Sarasota and our ship leaves from the Port of Everglades in April.   We have decided to get up early and head to Fort Lauderdale and have two choices -- we could take the Cruise Connection bus or rent a car -- the prices are comparable.  If we rented a car we would drop off at the FLL airport and grab an UBER to the Port.  Has anyone used Cruise Connection, in the past and are they reliable?  How difficult is it to drop off a car at the FLL airport.  We would appreciate your input.  Thanks so much.

Dropping off a car at FLL and getting to Port Everglades is not a problem.

However, you may want to consider renting a car from Alamo and dropping it off at their Port Everglades location.  They offer a free shuttle from there to the port.  It’s much likely easier, faster and less expensive.

In the early 2000s we took Cruise Connection from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale.  It took almost 6 hours because of several stops to pick up passengers along the way.  I don't know what it's like now, but we would never want to repeat that experience!

We also took the Cruise Connection bus several years ago.

We stopped when we didn't get home until after 4 pm, after waiting outside in the heat because their schedule was to pick up Carnival first and they were having a drug bust, so they had to wait for that to be over.  THEN there were too many passengers and they had to send for another bus for us (we were on Norwegian).

They're under different ownership now, so it might be better.

BTW, when we first started going with them, it was FREE.  The cruise companies paid for it.  For free we did overlook a lot.

Edited by mafig
addition

We are renting before our cruise in April as well. When I booked with Budget, they did have an option for drop off at the location near the pier but it was about $15 more. I read that their shuttle doesn’t start until noon and it can take awhile since they will be dropping off to multiple ships. We went with the airport drop off instead and will just Uber over. 

6 hours ago, l1lgreekprincess said:

We are renting before our cruise in April as well. When I booked with Budget, they did have an option for drop off at the location near the pier but it was about $15 more. I read that their shuttle doesn’t start until noon and it can take awhile since they will be dropping off to multiple ships. We went with the airport drop off instead and will just Uber over. 

There is a rental car bus which will take you to the port from FLL.  Just ask your rental car company where to catch it.

25 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is a rental car bus which will take you to the port from FLL.  Just ask your rental car company where to catch it.

I don't believe this exists anymore.  It was shared by Alamo / National / Enterprise and they used to check your contract to make sure you rented with one of those companies.   We used it many times.

We were there a couple weeks ago and they told us they no longer offer the shuttle.  We took a cab, no big deal.

Mike

21 hours ago, mandream said:

I don't believe this exists anymore.  It was shared by Alamo / National / Enterprise and they used to check your contract to make sure you rented with one of those companies.   We used it many times.

We were there a couple weeks ago and they told us they no longer offer the shuttle.  We took a cab, no big deal.

Mike

Interesting.  Thanks for the update.  That was a useful service.  I had the bus all to myself once.

I have done this many times and will be doing it again when we sail in March, Fort Lauderdale Airport is one of the easiest places to drop off at.

Before going to take the car back to FLL we drive to the port and drop off our main luggage.

After dropping off the car if there is a shuttle we take that but useually we take a cab as it only costs about $15 and is much more convenient.

Edited by swigso

I would opt for the rental car if the cost is similar.  You would be in control of your travel and it would probably be more comfortable.  As others have mentioned, rather than return it to FLL (unless the cost is a lot cheaper) choose a drop off location near Port Everglades.  I've used Budget, Avis and Hertz.  All have a shuttle that will drop you off at the ship.