Help needed new to YC and Miami sailing

Scot born

Sailing out of Miami in May on the MSC Seaside, we have sailed with MSC a few years ago in the Mediterranean and not YC and had a wonderful time however this time we will be in YC. We fly in to Miami the night before and staying in Washington Park Hotel South beach. I have couple of things that I need help with and any info would be very much appreciated. 

1 what is the easiest way to get from South Beach to the port is it Uber?

2 this one I don't want to think about however needs must, I know we have to be out of the cabin early, and because of the kind people on these boards I have discovered that MSC run a shuttle to Miami Airport what I need to know if this is a continuous service throughout the day as our flight is at 3.30 pm so the excursion that is available via MSC is of no use to us. 

I know leading up to our cruise I will have more questions so any hints and tips would be much appreciated. 

Thanks again

Christine 

40 minutes ago, Scot born said:

1 what is the easiest way to get from South Beach to the port is it Uber?

2 this one I don't want to think about however needs must, I know we have to be out of the cabin early, and because of the kind people on these boards I have discovered that MSC run a shuttle to Miami Airport what I need to know if this is a continuous service throughout the day as our flight is at 3.30 pm so the excursion that is available via MSC is of no use to us. 

Just uber to the port and Uber/taxi to the airport -- don't take the shuttle, it is always the more expensive choice (unless you are travelling by yourself.

The airport is only 10 min away.

23 minutes ago, xcell said:

Just uber to the port and Uber/taxi to the airport -- don't take the shuttle, it is always the more expensive choice (unless you are travelling by yourself.

The airport is only 10 min away.

Thanks I did not realise that airport was so near. What time is the latest I can leave the ship anyone. 

Edited by Scot born

You will have to leave about 10 a.m. latest but vacate cabin by 8:30 if I recall. 

Not it sure if the buses run much later than 11 or so but Uber is easy and cheap. 

There red is a place to store your luggage In South Beach called luggage lounge. Head there, drop off bags, explore south beach and from there to airport would be my suggestion. 

I don't trust Miami taxi drivers from past experience and always recommend UBER.  

MIA to south beach with UBER cost $16/17 and South beach to your POM Terminal will be under $10.

Your cruise returns to Miami on a Saturday so roads will not be as busy as a week-day but still allow 25/30 mins to get from the Port to MIA.  With a flight scheduled for 3.30pm it doesn't leave much time to explore anywhere, its best to leave the ship at the latest time they allow and go straight to the airport, kill time there to be safe.

Edited by mickey89

31 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I don't trust Miami taxi drivers from past experience and always recommend UBER.  

MIA to south beach with UBER cost $16/17 and South beach to your POM Terminal will be under $10.

Your cruise returns to Miami on a Saturday so roads will not be as busy as a week-day but still allow 25/30 mins to get from the Port to MIA.  With a flight scheduled for 3.30pm it doesn't leave much time to explore anywhere, its best to leave the ship at the latest time they allow and go straight to the airport, kill time there to be safe.

That is what I thought thanks 

2 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

... Uber is easy and cheap. 

This is gonna sound like a silly question for all you Uber users - how do you order an Uber at the airport?

On the subject of luggage storage;  I've just recently been advised of a company that will collect your luggage from the port and arrange to deliver it to you in the airport terminal at a time you specify.  Here's a link to the website:

http://myjetservice.com/how-it-works.html

6 hours ago, Scot born said:

Thanks I did not realise that airport was so near. What time is the latest I can leave the ship anyone. 

Because you are in YC there may be a greater degree of flexibility. When we were in Meraviglia YC recently, we asked the Head Butler if we could stay on the ship for a few extra hours to facilitate a mid-evening flight from Marseille. The answer was yes, although we still had to vacate the cabin and concierge stored our luggage until we departed....we left the ship at 6pm!!

We intend asking the same question on Preziosa next month, as we have an 8.30pm flight from Barbados.

Edited by hamrag

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Because you are in YC there may be a greater degree of flexibility. When we were in Meraviglia YC recently, we asked the Head Butler if we could stay on the ship for a few extra hours to facilitate a mid-evening flight from Marseille. The answer was yes, although we still had to vacate the cabin and concierge stored our luggage until we departed....we left the ship at 6pm!!

Thanks this is good to know. I will ask a few days before heading home. 

3 minutes ago, Scot born said:

Thanks this is good to know. I will ask a few days before heading home. 

If the HB says no, then try the YC Director.....always good to be pleasant and get both onside early days of cruise. Full amenities of the YC remain available until you depart, so you might even sneak a final lunch before departing. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

This is gonna sound like a silly question for all you Uber users - how do you order an Uber at the airport?

Very easy, first download the Uber App to your phone and set up an Uber account with a credit card or better still via PayPal.  Then just follow the on screen instructions, if no WiFi hotshot ensure your data is switched on.  If it’s your first time to use Uber you’ll get a one off discount for your first ride. 

24 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you!  🙂

Out of curiosity, why is PayPal better?  (I have a PayPal account but rarely use it unless it's the only accepted payment method).

I only use PayPal to pay, never holding a credit and fund PayPal via a credit card, giving me two levels of security. 

18 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Much appreciated, Mickey!

I didn't realize you were on your cruise tomorrow ...

Have a great time!

You are truly among the grand Poo-bahs (Poo-bettes?) of MSC information. Accurate, non - biased and reliable.

Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Scot born said:

That is what I thought thanks 

As someone who flies out of Miami two or three times a year, might I suggest one of the available "for pay" lounges?

Depending on the airline you're flying on, many of the lounges offer day passes for extremely reasonable rates with complimentary wifi, open bar, vaguely awful catering (but with unlimited mixed nuts!) and a reasonably quiet atmosphere.

It's worth it just to see how little sandwich filling you can squeeze between two slices of bread!!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Have a great time!

You are truly among the grand Poo-bahs (Poo-bettes?) of MSC information. Accurate, non - biased and reliable.

Enjoy!

That is so kind of you to say, Dr C - thank you!  We're boarding Armonia on Monday (all going well!)

Thanks, too, for the tip on the "for pay" lounges.  Our return flight is scheduled for 9.20pm and weren't sure what we were going to do (we'll be staying in Miami for a couple of nights after the cruise, but we'd still have to be out of our hotel room by 12pm).

12 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Have a great time!

Enjoy!

Indeed. Bea is the doyen of all things MSC. It's great to have you and your knowledge back! 

Hope you have managed to finish your packing.

Have a fabulous trip 😁

Edited by CruisingFox27

Well ... If it's not in the case it ain't coming with us, CF.  We're in Dublin Airport enjoying a Guinness (him) and a Sauvignon blanc (me) before going thru' pre-clearance.  😁

Thanks so much for the well wishes!

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Well ... If it's not in the case it ain't coming with us, CF.  We're in Dublin Airport enjoying a Guinness (him) and a Sauvignon blanc (me) before going thru' pre-clearance.  😁

Thanks so much for the well wishes!

You might find this helpful ....

http://www.miami-airport.com/clubs-and-lounges.asp