Is EZ Air covered by Princess Insurance

K D cruiser

After paying for insurance for over 30 cruises, we had to cancel our December cruise.  I filed the insurance forms with Aon Affinity Travel Insurance. I received an e-mail stating that we would be receiving a refund.  The amount they quoted only covered the cost of the cruise.  We purchased our air from Princess and I thought that would be covered also. Has anyone had any experience with this?  I'd like to know before I contact the Insurance company.  Thanks for any information.

I believe it would be covered as long as the EZ Air cost is added to the cruise cost and included as part of the covered cost.

So, if you booked tbe cruise and added the insurance at that point, you would need to increase the covered trip cosr at the point you  bought EZ Air flights.

Does your covered cost include the amount you paid for EZ Air flights?

4 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

I believe it would be covered as long as the EZ Air cost is added to the cruise cost and included as part of the covered cost.

So, if you booked tbe cruise and added the insurance at that point, you would need to increase the covered trip cosr at the point you  bought EZ Air flights.

Does your covered cost include the amount you paid for EZ Air flights?

Though EZ Air is automatically calculated. You can't change the cost of what it covers.

I thought it was covered - just looked at coverage: 

Extra feature

Protection for Cruise Plus hotel add-ons and eZAir arrangements is included at no additional cost.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Though I have also heard people say they get a refund from the airline or get a credit from the airline so I am not sure either. Please report when you find out.

Edited by Coral

As Coral wrote, EZair flights & hotel add-ons are included at no extra cost for the Princess Vacation Protection insurance.  The price of the insurance is solely based on the cruise fare.

I kept my paperwork from my covered reason cancellation in June 2018 only a week before departing which included EZair flights.  Most of the cost was included in my insurance claim because we were in the 100% cancellation fee period of time.  However some costs were immediately refunded to my chargecard used for payment when canceling:  port fees, transfer, half of the airfare.

I don’t know why half of the airfare was refundable & the other half was non-refundable and thus was included in the insurance claim.  But the bottomline was that everything minus the insurance cost was eventually refunded.  We each received a check for half of the non-refundable amounts from Aon a month after filing our claim; refundable amounts were immediately credited to our chargecard.

OP...if you used a chargecard check there for a credit issued by Princess for the refundable amounts.  My TA forwarded the Cancellation Notification that Princess immediately sent upon being notified of our cancellation.  You should have received that notification with a breakdown of total cost & cancellation fees.  If not I would suggest that you contact either your TA or Princess because you should’ve received that notification immediately when canceling the cruise. 

Thanks to Coral and Astro Flyer for the very helpful info.

I buy 3rd party, and my response to the OP was what seemed to be common sense rather than based on first-hand experience.

I stand corrected, and I appreciate the accurate info.

4 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Thanks to Coral and Astro Flyer for the very helpful info.

I buy 3rd party, and my response to the OP was what seemed to be common sense rather than based on first-hand experience.

I stand corrected, and I appreciate the accurate info.

3rd party coverage is far better coverage. Yes - your answer would be the right answer if they used 3rd party insurance. This summer - I did a combination of both insurances as I wanted better coverage and it was cheaper that way. For my November cruise on another line, I used my usual 3rd party insurance. 

Edited by Coral

It looks like I'll have to call my TA and Princess.  I just called Aon and spoke with someone who said the taxes and port fees should have been refunded.  That amount was $750.  On the date I cancelled the cruise, Princess refunded the pre-paid shore excursions, plus $650, with no explanation.  I need to find out what that was for.  I've added and subtracted everything and nothing comes out right.  I'll check back and let you know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I promised to let you know how it turned out.  To answer my original question, is EZ Air covered by Princess insurance?  The answer for me is maybe.  After filing the claim with Aon, we each received a check, which covered the cruise fare, but only a portion of our air.  I called Aon and the lady I spoke with had handled our claim.  She said she would check with Princess and call me back.  After a week of waiting to hear from her, I called again and she said she was sending another check to each of us, but the amount still didn't cover the air.  She said to call Princess and I might be able to request an additional refund.  So, after waiting on line with a CSR at Princess, I was disconnected.  I called back and waited another 45 minutes before receiving an answer.  Princess was going to refund over $1,000, which would be a credit to my Visa card.  I have no idea why.  The amounts don't add up, but it is more than I requested, so I'm happy.  I still don't know why Aon didn't handle the refund.  Princess said I had restricted air, but I had purchased flexible air.  I think the confusion was because after final payment, I requested early ticketing rather than waiting for 45 days out.  I always do that because we fly out of a small airport on small jets and I'm afraid to wait for seat assignments.  I did notice that the e-mails from Princess on our flight schedules went from flexible to restricted after final payment.  Now, it makes sense, since after the flights are ticketed, you can't make any changes, which I never do because there is nothing to change to.

Sorry this is so long.  Since we've never had to cancel a cruise before, I wasn't aware of the flight changes.  Anyway, maybe others have had this happen with Princess refunding money.  I just didn't expect it.

6 minutes ago, K D cruiser said:

I did notice that the e-mails from Princess on our flight schedules went from flexible to restricted after final payment.  Now, it makes sense, since after the flights are ticketed, you can't make any changes, which I never do because there is nothing to change to.

Mine did the same thing - it became restricted the air the day I asked my agent to ticket flexible air.

Thanks for reporting back!

Thanks K D cruiser...how far before flying did you pay for your flights?  I paid for my Flexible EZair flight with my cruise’s final payment but on Air New Zealand made free seat assignments when booking about 11 months in advance.  I check the airline’s website & usually see a ticket number long before flying.  It appears that seats & ticketing policies can vary by airline.

I wonder if your different experience was due to it being Restricted.  It’s interesting that your reservation became Restricted when paying it early...wonder if that’s policy or someone mistakenly made the change.  Guess that’s why my Flexible immediately refunded about half of our airfare to our chargecard when canceling & the other half was included in our Aon claim.

Whatever the reasons you eventually received a refund but it should have been easier like mine.

9 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I wonder if your different experience was due to it being Restricted.  It’s interesting that your reservation became Restricted when paying it early...wonder if that’s policy or someone mistakenly made the change.  Guess that’s why my Flexible immediately refunded about half of our airfare to our chargecard when canceling & the other half was included in our Aon claim.

I had my TA ticket my plane tickets on my Norway cruise a week after final payment. It became restricted also at that point. 

When we cancelled a cruise last year (with EZ air), Princess refunded the entire amount to our credit card (and I'm pretty sure I'd picked the flexible air option).  When we cancelled 2 days before the cruise, there was a penalty assessed for cancelling the air, but that cost was paid by our insurance (Princess insurance).

Edited by FLCruise7

12 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks...learned something new.

Yea - being the first time I was using EZ Air - I was a bit insecure as others said that Princess may move you to other flights if they want (not if the airline cancels). I don't think that is true but the moment I knew the cruise was going to happen and final payment was made - I asked my TA to ticket it. She said it wasn't necessary but did so at my request. When she called back - she said "it is now restricted air". I am not sure if I would do this again but it all worked out.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Yea - being the first time I was using EZ Air - I was a bit insecure as others said that Princess may move you to other flights if they want (not if the airline cancels). I don't think that is true but the moment I knew the cruise was going to happen and final payment was made - I asked my TA to ticket it. She said it wasn't necessary but did so at my request. When she called back - she said "it is now restricted air". I am not sure if I would do this again but it all worked out.

Good info to know.